Two nights ago I experienced this dreadful panic attack...It has been awhile since things felt so radical. My heart was on fire; everything within me was trembling and sweating like mad. I was all alone in my room, everyone else in the house was asleep until then, and you could say silence was making things even worse.

So then I tried to relax myself, tried to take deep breaths, hide underneath the blanket, yet I could not control myself nor my body. I was absolutely terrifying. At some point I opened up the window and tried to get some cool air, maybe feeling less claustrophobic, but the open window made it even more depressive and was drawing me into a position of wanting to put my own life at risk. Eventually, I fell asleep and woke up feeling a bit better. I am suffering from panic attacks since I was...perhaps 8-9 years old; it was not until the age of 17 when I knew what I actually was dealing with. Now most of the time I am staying with that same strange feeling, being that little girl who used to sit and sweat in this big class room with an invisible fog around her, believing with all her heart she is nothing but a crazy freak. While taking part in CBT I was given some exercises that might help, yet when the attack is arriving I find myself failing one hundred percent in trying to implement them.

I wondered how do you all act, what do you guys do when having a panic attack?

Thanks, Keren.

:hearts: (((((((((((((((((Keren))))))))))))))) :flowers:

I'm so sorry you had such a bad panic attack the other night. I used to have terrible panic attacks too and I don't think I've ever experienced anything more frightening. I remember the very first panic attack I ever had also happened during the night. That's why I was so convinced I must be dying, because even though I knew about anxiety and panic disorder, I always thought something specific had to happen to trigger an attack. I couldn't understand how it was possible to be lying in bed feeling sleepy and calm one minute, and then, the next minute, for absolutely no reason at all, to be having all these horrific physical symptoms.......It didn't make any sense to me. But, I have since learned that it is actually quite common to have panic attacks in bed.......

:hearts: (((((((((((((((Keren))))))))))))) :hearts: I had to take medication. There was no other way I could control my panic attacks. After I had that first one, I just got terrified every night when I went to bed in case I had another one. And it became sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I started living in fear of my own body and what new trick it was going to play on me next. Then I started having the panic attacks in the day time too. It was one of the worst periods of my entire life. I tried all kinds of things and I also had CBT. But, in the end, the only thing that helped was getting me on the right anti-depressant (not that CBT and all the other things aren't helpful. Just, as you say, in that moment when the physical symptoms are so intense, CBT didn't work for me. I needed medication to correct whatever was going on in my body.)

I do still have panic attacks in certain situations, but they are not nearly as bad as they were before I started taking this medication......

The way I try and help myself now when I feel it starting is to keep reminding myself over and over that the panic feelings WILL PASS. If I keep reminding myself that it's a cycle my body goes through and that the cycle has a peak and then starts to subside, I am usually able to stop myself escalating the feelings.

What was happening before was that I would get a physical symptom caused by my panic and I would immediately get very scared about the symptom I was having and that would just make everything worse. Now I try and remind myself that the symptoms WILL pass and I don't need to react to them.

It's still hard though.....:help: I'm SO sorry you had this scary experience :hearts: ((((((((((((((((Keren))))))))))) :hearts: Do you take any medications specifically for anxiety?

Sending you big huge hugs and lots of love :help::tear2:

Take care.

Love,

Joanna

Edited by Joanna

((((( :hearts: Keren_za :flowers: )))))

I drop my shoulders, keep my eyes open. I start counting in my head, and breathe in deep through my nose, out through my mouth. Then, like Joanna says, I remember that this is an event with a beginning, middle, and end. I do not fight it nor do I embrace it. Just within the past week, I have added Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) or Tapping. That alone cuts the attack time by at least 80%.

Love,

Larry

Hi Keren,

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with these attacks. As suggested, there are a lot of techniques that can be applied when the happen. I remember having a hard time with them not really responding to the CBT techniques that I was originally taught along with the tried and true, "this too shall pass." But I think the key is continuing with the techniques and you will find that the more often they work, the better they work. Once we find something that works we begin to have faith that they will work and when that happens they work better. Knowing what to do isn't the same as knowing that they work. So practice, even when you aren't having one, the fireman routine doesn't really work that well. Meaning if the only time you use them is when there is an attack, we have no real faith that they will work. And just as much as it is our thinking that usually gets us into these situations, it can be our thinking that gets us back. And always try to remember that they pass, I think for me that is one of my strongest techniques that works.

Peace and Love... wayne

Keren :hearts:

I know how awful these panics feel. I totally agree with Joanna, medication was the only thing that helped me because mine progressed into almost non stop panic at one point.

I found beta blockers were my life saver first. The panic still hovers but the racing heart is controlled and that for me was the worst symptom. I had it day and night.

You know the rest - it will pass but that's no comfort when in the midst of one.

Have you asked your gp about them?

I'm sorry about that attack, it sounds aweful.

These are the three worst attacks I've had that I can remember, one that happened at school and the others at home.

During the one that took place at school: I usually had a few small ones every week at school in the beginning, then I started having them everday and they kept getting worse. I started medicating between classes to try and phase myself out. I'd rather have been a zombie then have the panic attacks. In one case, I had to run out of class... very embarrassing. The one that was the worse took place halfway through the day. I had run completely out of the medication I had been taking to phase myself out and I had gotten addicted to it and was detoxing when I had the attack. So I had the symptoms of detoxing mixed in with the panic attack. I locked myself in the bathroom between class changes and started getting sick. I had the racing heart, and rapid breathing thing going on. I stayed on my knees for half an hour before going out to my car, because I really felt I had to get away. I stayed in the car, I didn't drive anywhere because I shared a ride with my brother and school hadn't ended. When I have attacks, I really feel the need to hide or run away, and I had pulled on a hoodie in the car to hide under. It was summer and really hot in the car, and I couldn't turn the engine on or the school admins would catch me. I was cramped down in the seat for half a day, it was by far the longest attack I've had. By the time school ended and my brother jumped in to drive, I was compltely soaked in sweat and shaking. I had my face in my hands, so he thought I had just been crying and drove us home. I passed out when I got home, probably from heat exhaustion. Thankfully, I had made it to my room. When we got a call about me skipping class the next day, I just told my parents I got sick. I've never told anyone what really happened. I was put on home leave by a doctor who thought I might have a thyroid problem, though I didn't. A week later I dropped out completely.

The two at home both happened when I was alone. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I had all the same symptoms, and I self-medicating to stop them. I ending up OD'ing one time.

I haven't taken any pills in almost a year, though I do still self-medicate a lot. I'm in long-term therapy and started taking classes at a school I attend once a week. I haven't had any major attacks lately. I'm in a deep resession with my depression, but nothing major now with my anxiety. And I'm still only 16. The anxiety quit over time on its own.

• 2 weeks later...

I point blank, absolutely, stoically, refuse to be afraid of panic attacks. They hold no fear at all for me.

What is the worst that could happen? Somebody finds out I have problems and that i'm human? Big deal.

They can't hurt you. Yes, they make you feel bad but that's all. If you've had one panic attack and survived it, you'll survive another.

Stop being afraid of them, and they will go away. Mine have.

• 2 weeks later...

oh dear keren, i just know how ya feeling hun, hear is so things that i find that help me. hope they are of help to you hun.

hear goes

Remind yourself that the worst is over. The feelings and sensations you are experiencing are just anxiety. and they will soon stop.

Get Grounded. This means stamping your feet on the ground and can get away now if you need to.

Breathe. When we get frightened we stop normal breathing. As a result our body begins to panic because we haven’t got enough oxygen. Lack of oxygen causes a great deal of panic feelings; pounding in the head, tightness, sweating, feeling faint, shakiness, dizziness. When we breathe deeply enough, a lot of the panic feeling can decrease.

Re-establish to the present. Begin to use your five senses in the present. Look around and see the colors in the room, the shapes of things, the people near, etc. Listen to the sounds in the room; your breathing, traffic, birds, people, cars etc. Feel your body and what is touching it; your clothes, your own arms and hands, the chair or floor supporting you.

Talk to the child in you and tell your self you are ok its important that ypou tell your self you are ok and there is nothing around that will hurt you .

Find your boundaries. Sometimes when we are having a Panic attack things get out of proportion we lose the sense of where we end and the world begins; as if we do not have skin. Wrap yourself in a blanket, hold a pillow or soft toy, go to bed, sit in a cupboard... anything that you can do to make yourself feel safe.

Get help. You may need to be alone or you may want someone near you. In either case it is important that your friends and relations know about Panic attack so they can help with the process, whether that means letting you be by yourself or being there, whatever is right for you is right.

Take time to regain control. Sometimes Panic attack are very powerful. Don't expect yourself to be able to do things immediately.

Be kind and look after yourself do something that you enjoy. Don’t punish yourself, you deserve it.

Be patient. It takes time to heal . It takes time to learn ways of taking care of yourself,

You do not have to do it alone every again.

Join a self-help group. It is a healing thing to share your process with others who understand so deeply what you are going through.

Know you are not going mad .... you are healing!

love and hugs

em xxxx

Edited by echo78