Birth Control And Bipolar

silverdawn

Hi,

I am curious to know whether birth control worsens bipolar or negatively affects a bipolar woman in particular? I have read up on different types of birth control and thought that the best bet for a woman with bipolar would be to take a low dose monophasic type oral contraceptive since this type of birth control seems to not interfere with your hormones that much. I would appreciate any advice on this matter or any insight from women who have diagnosed mood disorders and have taken or are taking some kind of birth control.

Thank you,

silverdawn

Hi,

I am curious to know whether birth control worsens bipolar or negatively affects a bipolar woman in particular? I have read up on different types of birth control and thought that the best bet for a woman with bipolar would be to take a low dose monophasic type oral contraceptive since this type of birth control seems to not interfere with your hormones that much. I would appreciate any advice on this matter or any insight from women who have diagnosed mood disorders and have taken or are taking some kind of birth control.

Thank you,

silverdawn

Hi silverdawn

I'm not a doctor (yet), and I'm not a woman either, but there appears to be mixed evidence on whether women's hormones have a role in the cycling of bipolar disorder. It seems to be a matter of what works for the individual. One thing to be aware of though, is that some meds interfere with oral contraceptives and stop them working as well (esp. carbemazepine), while oral contraceptives can interfere with some other meds. I am sure your doctor has discussed this with you, and if not then you should bring it up. The best thing you can do really is sit down with your doctor and discuss your concerns...