Sign in to follow this  
HopefulOne

How Has Depression Affected Your Faith?

How Has Depression Affected Your Faith?  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Select One

• It has brought me closer to my religion/God.
    • It has caused me to doubt and become a skeptic.
    • It has destroyed my faith/belief in God.
    • It hasn't affected me. (I am Athiest or Agnostic)

My depression and anxiety (coupled with some very bad experiences in a high school run by some fringe religious lunatics - these were not your everyday, loving Christians I had grown up around) has forced me to more or less become an agnostic. My mother sees this, I think, and is sad - especially since she was the one responsible for instilling the values of faith I had as a child.

I really miss believing in God like I used to. It was such a wonderful comfort.

Hi,

I found that when I was very depressed I had a more on the surface faith. I was willing to discuss God on the forums.

Now that I am not depressed and feeling very relaxed and normal, I just have the same faith but keep it to myself.

DustyRoad (and others)

Thanks for the continued thoughtful and interesting posts about how depression affects one's faith.

Tim

DustyRoad (and others)

Thanks for the continued thoughtful and interesting posts about how depression affects one's faith.

Tim

You are welcome, Tim.

That's interesting Dusty, I experienced the exact opposite as you. happy.gif When I'm feeling really depressed I just go completely inward: silent, pensive, constantly praying and talking to God (in my head). Then when I'm feeling better it's like, "Look what God did!" inlove.gif

That's interesting Dusty, I experienced the exact opposite as you. happy.gif When I'm feeling really depressed I just go completely inward: silent, pensive, constantly praying and talking to God (in my head). Then when I'm feeling better it's like, "Look what God did!" inlove.gif

Nice to meet you. That is wonderful. I also liked to write more often when I was feeling down. Years ago up to last year I was very active here writing posts and a blog. My story is rather long. I attempted to be more detailed in my blog.

I used this site as therapy via writing and being social. I wrote mostly in the religious forum then. I felt very in touch with myself and my spirt. As you have said I was very inward and silent to those about me IRL. And became close to a few people that I meet here, if fact some are still my facebook friends.

Now I am very social. Everyone notices the change, which is very positive for me to be talkative. Yet I just can not write poetry anymore. Where as before I was good at it. I still like to write. Maybe I will add on to my blog as I have been working on it off of this site.

If you ever wish to PM me please do.

Boyd

Edited by DustyRoad

i used to believe in god now i believe that if he is there he is cold and uncaring and that he has given up on us

I'm probably an oddity in this topic; but, my depressive side was made worse by the Catholic church. The rules, confines and dictation of what someone else thinks that I need to do in my life brought the guilt trip way too heavy on me. I found that I could hardly live up to these expectations. I became increasingly suicidal. There was another big reason why I turned away from it that I can not discuss here; in short, I became completely turned off by the whole thing. And yes, I turned to Paganism because of the freedom it provides me and its spiritual emphasis/connection with nature. The entire concept of Christianity made my depression worse.

Now, please don't bombard me with negative feedback about what I posted. Notice I put it all in the first person, meaning, my take on it. I am certainly not dictating to anyone else that this is what I think other people should do. Sorry, it just seems to anger people when I share my religious beliefs; I know not everyone gets angry and it is a generalized statement to make. Just don't want anyone to get upset, I want everyone to smile!

Peace and all that's good to everyone,

Lucinda :hearts:

Wow, reading your post was like looking in the mirror. If I didn't know better I would have thought that I wrote this.....I felt I was missing something a few years ago, like there was ***** deep inside me and I needed to fill it with something, so I re-entered the catholic church. While it was going great at first, I soon began having panic attacts and feeling unworthyness...and then my suicidal thoughts...and actions came back to me....I began hating God and began doubting my faith...That started about last May and I am still unsure of where I stand. I am exploring other things to help with my depression, bipolar, suicidal tendencies and anxiety. I am dabbaling in Buddhism right now...never thought of paganism...but it is something I willing to look into...who know...all I know right now is that I have lost my faith and I think the Catholic church played a big part in that....

Depression hasn't done good things for my beliefs.

I am Buddhist, and part of the Buddhist belief is Karma. So, by doing good things, good things should be happening for me. I try really hard to be a good person and do good things to improve my karma, but it feels like my depression is a kind of punishment for doing something bad. I have never done anything bad enough to deserve depression as a punishment. So it makes me think that karma can't exist because things wouldn't be so hard.

Wow, after reading your post I am not so sure I want to explore buddhism am much as initally wanted to....

I am a Norse Pagan through and through, I will never loose sight of my belief no matter what is thrown at me. My depression hasn't affected what I believe in the slightest.

Depression has caused me to doubt God's role in my life. I feel like he really isn't interested in me, and he's only created me to set me afloat in the middle of nothing. The depression has greatly affected my desire to read the bible or pray, too. It's like there doesn't seem to be much reason, because nothing ever changes anyway. I continue to suck at life whether or not I read the Bible or struggle my way through some pathetic ADD prayer.

We are like jewels, shaped with the hammer and chisel of adversity. If a jeweler's hammer isn't strong enough to chip off our rough edges, God will use a sledgehammer. If we're really stubborn, he uses a jackhammer. He will use whatever it takes.

Every problem is a character-building opportunity, and the more difficult it is, the greater the potential for building spiritual muscle and moral fiber. Paul said, "We know that these troubles produce patience. And patience produces character." What happens outwardly in your life is not as important as what happens inside you. Your circumstances are temporary, but your character will last forever.

Depression has totally reinforced my belief in God and made me hate Him so much more. I don't think He minds it much though, and if He isn't big enough to handle it, then He isn't big enough to be my God. Besides, some of the best teachers in my life are the ones I disliked the most, and God has taught me an awful lot of really hard lessons. I'll probably love Him when I graduate or something.

Mike

I've never believed in God so it hasn't affected me. If anything it's made me even more sure that there isn't one.

My depression when I am embraced in it,I question God,blame God and think He is punishing me, that I deserve whatever hell He wants to judge me with because of my past.I hardly pray although my mind tells me too I have no energy to think what to say all I do is sigh and say "help me Lord', I find it very hard to concentrate and focus. But when Im in my "normal" state I believe in God,He is a God of love and compassion,forgiving ,provider and Saviour of my soul.He is my comfort when I am weary and tired and need strength and Joy.I says prayers read ,meditate on devotionals for that day,read about depression and how to overcome.But although He has provided and done so much for me He has stayed by my side when I have been silent towards Him,I have my days when I am jubilantly praising him for the joy I have and feel that day and for all His blessings. I get so lost in the darkness of depression faith dont even be in my mind because I beleive and know He will provide when the time is right .

My faith has strengthened. I pray instead of freak out. I talk to god. I voice my questions, thoughts, frustration, anger to him. It has helped so much. I still have so far to go, but I feel that God is with me

my faith was destroyed. I was Christian I never really was extremely active for a few years i did youth activities with my church group such as boy scouts and young mens and attended church around six times a year i believed in god he.

once my depression overtook me i began to ask why why would god make us suffer so much I mean i had 4 close relatives along with two of my close companions my dog and my cat that i had had both for my whole childhood and my grandmother break her neck and admit she wanted to die I also had chronic urticaria which was going untreated for a while And is was fighting with my parents daily over different reasons a still am just not as often. I kept asking why God would make us suffer so much and at the time why would suicide be a sin if HE was making us suffer. I just decided that if their was a god he wouldn't make us suffer so much and stopped believing

my faith was destroyed. I was Christian I never really was extremely active for a few years i did youth activities with my church group such as boy scouts and young mens and attended church around six times a year i believed in god he.

once my depression overtook me i began to ask why why would god make us suffer so much I mean i had 4 close relatives along with two of my close companions my dog and my cat that i had had both for my whole childhood and my grandmother break her neck and admit she wanted to die I also had chronic urticaria which was going untreated for a while And is was fighting with my parents daily over different reasons a still am just not as often. I kept asking why God would make us suffer so much and at the time why would suicide be a sin if HE was making us suffer. I just decided that if their was a god he wouldn't make us suffer so much and stopped believing

Hi Legit:

Thanks for posting on DF. I do hope the variety of forums are helpful to you. :welcomeani:

I certainly understand your observations about god and suffering.

I'm sorry you are suffering from depression. I do hope you find good support here.

Best,

Tim

The role depression plays in our faith is multifaceted. I believe that my faith has affected my depression more than the other way around. Battling with my beliefs, and witnessing/experiencing events that contradict the beliefs I once had, was part of the overall precipitating event. I do think that retrieving the faith I lost would be a huge step in my recovery, but I have yet to reach the point where I am willing to do so. I respect everyone's beliefs, as I think each and every one is important. It is not the content of the belief, but the belief system itself, that gives people hope for a better tomorrow. It is what instills morals and values into lives, and forces us to realize that we are merely a small part of a much larger picture.

Depression has totally reinforced my belief in God and made me hate Him so much more. I don't think He minds it much though, and if He isn't big enough to handle it, then He isn't big enough to be my God. Besides, some of the best teachers in my life are the ones I disliked the most, and God has taught me an awful lot of really hard lessons. I'll probably love Him when I graduate or something.

Mike

D***, I wish that I had written this.

Shattered Soldier captures perfectly what it took me decades to discover: that our relationship with God is intensely personal and idiosynchratic, and might not have anything at all to do with what we learned in Sunday School.

It isn't wrong at all to hate God: he has done hateful things to all of us and we have every right to be angry at Him; and if He is too small to hear our anger and forgive it, then he isn't really worth worshipping. Besides, if hatred is the emotion that brings you closest to God, then maybe that is your path toward communion with Him.

I really wish that I had written what Soldier wrote. I even like his signature.

Edited by Rincewind

I think exploring my faith contributed to my depression. It has gotten worse as my faith has gotten worse, to the point where thinking about religion gives me stress related headaches.

i am not sure if my faith would have deteriorated regardless of my illness, but i was raised catholic and truly did believe, pray... the whole nine yards. when i got sick, or the abuse would worsen, i would pray harder. things only worsened and i stopped believing.

things are better for me now that i have stopped praying for help, and started realizing that i am the only one who can change my life. i have also not felt as 'let down' lately by unanswered prayers.

it just did not work for me. i am all for religion if it does work for you!

i find 'spirituality' through exercise and meditation very helpful