Sign in to follow this  
croser

What Dosage Escitalopram Are You On?

What dosage escitalopram are you on?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. How many mg/day do you take?

• >20

I have GAD and MDD and dysthymia and take 10mg Lexapro/day. It is my second week. I would like to hear about people's experiences with dosages: Did 10 or 20 mg help more with anxiety? Depression? How do you know you have found the right dosage? Does the higher dosage necessarily make you feel better? Thanks! :hearts:

Hi Croser --

I'm currently taking 20 mg of Lexapro for GAD and depression. I started in early November. I found that my anxiety disappeared first, but not until I experienced an INCREASE in anxiety during the first couple weeks of my build-up phase. (Which is a common experience for many people -- it's a pain, but it DOES pass.) I started at 10 mg., tried that for about 12 weeks, and then increased to 15 mg, and then ultimately to 20 mg because my depression still seemed to be with me. I'm cruising along nicely now at 20 mg.

You'll have to see for yourself where your "sweet spot" is -- everyone is different. It takes up to 6-8 weeks to feel the full therapeutic effects, so I'd recommend giving 10 mg. a try for a while and then if you feel as though you're still struggling, approach your doc/pdoc about increasing. Many people find that 10 mg. is enough -- you may too!

Best to you!

HopefulOne

Edited by HopefulOne

hey hopeful one,

thank you for sharing with me! it is comforting to hear that others have experienced an increase in anxiety, also, before getting better. i saw my doctor today and she said to double my dosage to 20 since i was getting rebound anxiety (her phrase). thanks again!

Hi,

I'm on 10mg Cipralex in the morning. Been on it since Oct'06. The anxiety attacks stopped almost immediatly and the depression dulled but has never quite gone. I have rapid cycling moods. Stopped for Dec'07 and Jan'08 but crashed badly so went back on. Although anxiety symptoms didn't return but the depression sky-rocketted. I'm generally ok though my life is good and thats what frustrates me the most...why can't I be happy? I get so angry with myself... Anyway it's like a low grade slump...all the time. Then suddenly I'm ok and have energy and life's good then boom....back down.

Does anyone know what Cyclothmia is? Or suffers from it? Been tenatively diagnosed but because I'm so much in control and generally just get on with life my doctor thinks my problems are also stress related as well as personality type?

People are generally shocked when they find out I'm on AD's as they think I have no reason to be depressed.... so I've become good at hiding behind a smile!

Anyway any thoughts from any one would be welcome.

Regards,

kels

I dunno, Kels. But if you find out, I'd be very interested. I am exactly the same way, but on celexa..

Hi Croser --

I'm currently taking 20 mg of Lexapro for GAD and depression. I started in early November. I found that my anxiety disappeared first, but not until I experienced an INCREASE in anxiety during the first couple weeks of my build-up phase. (Which is a common experience for many people -- it's a pain, but it DOES pass.) I started at 10 mg., tried that for about 12 weeks, and then increased to 15 mg, and then ultimately to 20 mg because my depression still seemed to be with me. I'm cruising along nicely now at 20 mg.

You'll have to see for yourself where your "sweet spot" is -- everyone is different. It takes up to 6-8 weeks to feel the full therapeutic effects, so I'd recommend giving 10 mg. a try for a while and then if you feel as though you're still struggling, approach your doc/pdoc about increasing. Many people find that 10 mg. is enough -- you may too!

Best to you!

HopefulOne

I'm currently taking 10 mg of Lexapro and it has made my anxiety go up alot so I take ativan to help with that, as needed. I'm almost 6 months pregnant and I have been very concerned with all these medication and the baby but my OBGYN told me NOT TO WORRY about the baby, that he was fine and happy inside his mommy, taking in all the food and the sleep he needed! I have been so very anxious and depressed in the last few weeks, it has happened SO fast. In a matter of days I wanted to die. Now I'm veeeeery slowly trying to get over the hump, I can be calm and stuff but I'm still thinking in the back of my head, every waking hour of the day and this is the scariest feeling. I want my thoughts to be free to wander around and to be positive thoughts, not me thinking that I'm thinking all the time. Isn't this the weirdest feeling in the world? anyone has ever experienced that? It makes it excruciatingly hard to concentrate on anything...conversations, TV, computer, daily chores, driving, eating...etc. OUF!

Edited by Izzy85

Hey Izzy I know exactly what you are talking about!!! I love how you put it: "Thinking that I'm thinking all the time." I know that feeling all too well--I hate it, makes me feel like I'm gonna lose my mind. However, I would like to report that since being on 20mg of Lexapro it is starting to diminish--everything doesn't feel like such a g :censored:m effort anymore, like I'm not thinking/analyzing everything all time like I was. Starting to feel ... dare I say it? ... happy (!!!!). Anyway, enough bragging.

But maybe it would help you also to go up to 20mg? I know that the baby is a huge concern, but if you're already on it ...

Hope you feel better!

:hearts: Croser

Hey Izzy I know exactly what you are talking about!!! I love how you put it: "Thinking that I'm thinking all the time." I know that feeling all too well--I hate it, makes me feel like I'm gonna lose my mind. However, I would like to report that since being on 20mg of Lexapro it is starting to diminish--everything doesn't feel like such a g :censored:m effort anymore, like I'm not thinking/analyzing everything all time like I was. Starting to feel ... dare I say it? ... happy (!!!!). Anyway, enough bragging.

But maybe it would help you also to go up to 20mg? I know that the baby is a huge concern, but if you're already on it ...

Hope you feel better!

:hearts: Croser

WOW Croser, you gave me HOPE! I thought I was the only one feeling this way! I've been posting about this for quite a few days and it seemed nobody really understood, although the support is GREAT here, no matter what anyone's going through. But yeah I feel like such a nut case, I've had an episode before that lasted about month but I "snapped" out of it on my own without meds, and ironically it was when I was pregnant with my first baby! Must be the hormones! But this time I can definitely say it's much worse, can't handle myself, hard to sit at the computer...even as I'm typing this I'm thinking that I'm thinking in the back of my head. The weirdest feeling is when I go to bed and try to sleep...I know I do get to sleep but it still feels like my mind is awake while I sleep. And it makes me sooooo depressed the next day. It feels like I can't function or do anything. Watching TV is a huge trigger for the moment, makes me too anxious cause I can't concentrate, I'm just THINKING! I was wondering if I could try ADHD or ADD medication...Any thoughts on that one? Oh and yeah I definitely want to try the lexapro 20 mg but I want to wait the full 6-8 weeks to see if there is any improvement. I have taken lexapro 10 mg for a whole year before I got pregnant with this baby, and I felt GREAT and I had actually stopped the meds to get pregnant. So anyways, any thoughts on ADHD or ADD meds to help focus and not think so much? I also heard of Beta Blockers that helped with anxiety...I'm not a fan of benzos as they can be pretty addictive but right now for my sanity, I NEED THEM! Alright thanks Croser, you made my day!!! Everyone else's words of advise would be GREATLY appreciated!

I will definitely try to take the Lexapro 20 mg after the baby is born...So far the 10 mg has somewhat helped but I know it's not enough!!! I'm feeling a little better though, don't think so much anymore, and 24/7! So yeah that's better. Now my brain hurts from trying to relax from all this nonsense, I have headaches and pressure. But I can handle it. I'm actually wondering if it's also the pregnancy hormones that makes my head hurt like that. O well, this is definitely my last baby! But I'm already in love with him! O well, I'm also sleeping a little better...not much though, but I'll take whatever I can get. Alright thanks for everyone's support! :hearts:

I'm on 20mg not doing much though i'm still getting cycling depression and anxiety or i should say cycling anxiety the depression is there constantly but the very bad depression cycles IYKWIM

Torch xxx

I took 20mg for about three months but still felt bad, so my dr. boosted me up to 40mg. Been on 40mg for nearly a year now. Sometimes I still feel it's not enough. :)

I've been on it for a little over a month now for OCD and Depression.

I take 15 mg. Oddly enough I tried to go up to 20 mg, but I felt worse at that dosage. It almost feels too activating at 20mg and I couldn't concentrate.

So I've settled in at 15 mg, and my OCD and depression feel very well controlled so far.

And as an added benefit I feel less anxious. :)

Hi there. I have a similar struggle it seems with the exception of dysthemia. I took 20 mg's of escitalopram for about a month and returned thereafter to Celexa. The Citalopram treated the symptoms of Anxiety much more effectively which in turn mellowed my depression. I wish you the absolute best in finding what helps along the way.

Hi,

I take 30mg of citalopram it has helped a lot but I am still suffering with really bad lows, I also take 150mg of Dosulepin. The citalopram makes me very jumpy, I am much better than I was last month.

Hi,

I'm on 10mg Cipralex in the morning. Been on it since Oct'06. The anxiety attacks stopped almost immediatly and the depression dulled but has never quite gone. I have rapid cycling moods. Stopped for Dec'07 and Jan'08 but crashed badly so went back on. Although anxiety symptoms didn't return but the depression sky-rocketted. I'm generally ok though my life is good and thats what frustrates me the most...why can't I be happy? I get so angry with myself... Anyway it's like a low grade slump...all the time. Then suddenly I'm ok and have energy and life's good then boom....back down.

Does anyone know what Cyclothmia is? Or suffers from it? Been tenatively diagnosed but because I'm so much in control and generally just get on with life my doctor thinks my problems are also stress related as well as personality type?

People are generally shocked when they find out I'm on AD's as they think I have no reason to be depressed.... so I've become good at hiding behind a smile!

Regards,

kels

in case no one responded kels.

Cyclothymia is a serious mood and mental disorder that causes both hypomanic and depressive episodes. It is defined medically within the bipolar spectrum and consists of recurrent disturbances between sudden hypomania and dysthymic episodes. The diagnosis of cyclothymic disorder is not made when there is a history of mania or major depressive episode or mixed episode.Cyclothymia is similar to bipolar II disorder in that it presents itself in signature hypomanic episodes. Because hypomania is often associated with exceptionally creative, outgoing, and high-functioning behavior, both conditions are often undiagnosed.

I just switched off venlafaxine (generic Effexor) to celexa. I had increased the effexor from 100 to 200 mg./day early this year, after about 6 years total on that med. The PA I saw last week prescribed 40 mg./day of celexa, which I took for the first time yesterday. So far, it has seemed to help reduce some of the withdrawal from the effexor *which can be NASTY* But once the underlying withdrawal is gone, I assume that I will just feel whatever the celexa makes me feel. Hopefully it will be good things rather than bad.

Hi,

Regards,

kels

Wow, Kels....you are my mirror image....I find myself more candid recently with folks to discuss the fact that I've been on and off of SSRI's since fall of 2006 (rather consistently) and they are always equally shocked, which for some reason makes me feel even more ashamed and bad about myself--like what the hell IS wrong with me? I am a single mother who works full time running a research and consulting firm in California, I volunteer at my son's school regularly and am active in my community--but I am battling a raging saddness and relentless anxiety that ebbs and flows like the tide, all hidden behind my big fake smile. I feel like such a fraud and am so unhappy and fed up with living such a facade. Good luck to you-- may you work out all of your issues as I work out mine. There is hope for all of us, right?

Right now I'm only on 10mg of it, but I'm going to talk to my doctor about bumping it to 15mg and then to 20mg in another month or so if things don't improve.

I've found that at the beginning I start feeling better, but after a month or so of taking that dose (started at 10mg about a month and a half ago) I start slumping further and further back down. I'm not sure if it's going to work for me in the end, but I want to try. Though none of my doctors have been sure of what exactly's causing the depression or what type of depression I have.. so I guess that doesn't help. @_@

Hi. i was on 10mg for a month and felt absolutely nothing, not even any side effects good or bad. Now in the second month and am on 20mg, yet still feel nothing. The only thing I have noticed is that my sex life has improved in that I last longer now. Besides that there is nothing. I am seeming my doctor in a few weeks and my psychologist recons he'll bump it up to 30mg which is a little worrying since i feel nothing at all from it.

I have suffered from depression and social anxiety since I was 13 and it was only until i was 30 that I sought help. So maybe having suffered this long without help it may take a while to get moving.

I've been on 20mgs for about 2 months now. I'm doing really well with no anxiety and the depression is much better. Get plenty of the yawning and teeth grinding, but otherwise ok. I've actually improved in the libido stakes. After years of no sex drive, I now have intimacy with my wife that is wonderful after 6 years in the doldrums.

I don't feel I have ever had a proper diagnosis after years of depression. My sister is Bi Polar and I'm almost sure my Dad had is. Never even saw a Pdoc. It was actually a'Trainee' doc that put me on Citalopram and it's the best thing that has happened for me.