Too Guilty To Be Happy?

IandI

I was just thinking today about how yesterday I was really bored and so I went and saw my cousins who I am very close to. We had a really good time laughing and having fun but as soon as I got home I felt extremely sad, like worse than I started and that always happens. And even though I may have a good time I usually end up avoid spending more time with them when they invite me to something. I don't know why this is, its like I try to put myself out there to forget about depression and social anxieties and I end up feeling very lonely. I talked to my mom about this and she told me something that really got me thinking she said it almost seems like I feel guilty for having a good time. Maybe she has a point but do any of you guys feel this way; feeling elated having a good time to immediate sadness afterwards?

I've experienced that kind of crash many times before, but I have a different opinion of why. I don't think it has anything to do with guilt. Personally, I've noticed that after a great time with family, when I return to my lonely home, I feel terribly let down. I had a few hours of warmth and fun and meaning, and then I find myself back in my little prison. It's quite a contrast, and really causes an emotional crash when the good time is over.

I was just thinking today about how yesterday I was really bored and so I went and saw my cousins who I am very close to. We had a really good time laughing and having fun but as soon as I got home I felt extremely sad, like worse than I started and that always happens. And even though I may have a good time I usually end up avoid spending more time with them when they invite me to something. I don't know why this is, its like I try to put myself out there to forget about depression and social anxieties and I end up feeling very lonely. I talked to my mom about this and she told me something that really got me thinking she said it almost seems like I feel guilty for having a good time. Maybe she has a point but do any of you guys feel this way; feeling elated having a good time to immediate sadness afterwards?

i feel this way all the time. It seems like whenever i can manage to get out which is rare, when i have to return home i become very depressed. I think it's because my house is where i spend all my time dealing with my depression and when i come back to it i feel like it's right back to the same old thing. It's almost like when i have a good time it reminds me of how my life used to be which makes me even more depressed. Are you on any type of treatment for these feelings you are having? I have started effexor, it'ss been about 3 weeks now but no change, still waiting. Hope you feel better soon. :hearts:

i feel this way all the time. It seems like whenever i can manage to get out which is rare, when i have to return home i become very depressed. I think it's because my house is where i spend all my time dealing with my depression and when i come back to it i feel like it's right back to the same old thing. It's almost like when i have a good time it reminds me of how my life used to be which makes me even more depressed. Are you on any type of treatment for these feelings you are having? I have started effexor, it'ss been about 3 weeks now but no change, still waiting. Hope you feel better soon. :hearts:

Yes, I have been taking Lexapro but not consistently, I would really like to start seeing a psychiatrist.

I think you two may be right it is kinda lonely at home and that's where i'm always stirring about my depression. Plus I think i have a feeling of inadequacy because of my social anxiety i feel like i should have said this or that or that i wasn't interesting enough. Maybe when it gets a little warmer around here i will try to take walks or find some way to distract myself but its so hard.

• 2 months later...

Gday Iandi , look mate i have been there some times its not funny anymore. I am 45 have experenced it for 20 odd years 12 years of heavy medication for major depression than after 3 weeks as an inpatient at a clinic they diagnosed me as A-typical instead of major depression on its own it described me to a tee i was on top off the world while i was at a clinic with total strangers having a ball tearer of a time while i could make them happy,laugh and even could handle personal jokes aimed at me. that was where it stopped come back home to my home town arround family not nessacary the triggers for my depression but enough to put a damper on it . I did a 2 week intensive course on CBT they reckon thats the go the jurys still out on that one at the moment so look at some other issues this could be all bull**** for your but ther you go.

Have a nice day