A Website That I Found

Leaflet

Hello! I've found a website that really impacts me when I read it. Every time I read it, I find it helps me to put every problem I have into a different perspective and to consolidate this problem, relieving me from the stress that a problem causes me. The website's most useful page deals with "three basic truths" about real life. The guy who wrote these pages is a councillor, and created them based on his observations in his work.

Basic Truth #1. Most of the attitudes, emotions and thought processes we have adopted - our own self-concepts - are fictitious and erroneous.

Basic Truth #2. You cannot change anything that has happened in the past. All you can do is learn what you can from it, fix what you can, and then start right where you are this instant, and move forward with your life.

Basic Truth #3. You cannot control other people. You can only control your reactions to them.

Along with keeping a depression and anxiety diary, I also try to apply all of my thoughts to these three truths, and try to spot erroneous thoughts (he describes in great detail how to spot these), whether I am fussing over something I can't change or whether I am trying to control a person.

I think we're not meant to paste links. You can find this website by typing "donnie mckinney self help for teens" into google and clicking the first link. Then navigate the menu called "Self Help For Teens" -> "Other Topics" -> "3 Basic Laws". I think even though these are geared towards teens, some adults might find them helpful too.

Edited by Paper

I used to frequent at a forum called TeenOutReach but it got shut down. One of the councillors that frequented at the forum was this guy who basically volunteered his time there. I once asked him for some help, and he showed me this page. I guess I am easily persuaded by information, so I accepted what was written on the page and it made me feel better for a long while. I hope for some of you it will make you feel better.

For a while it stopped working for me when the pressures of getting ready for uni caused me a great deal of stress and anxiety. I think maybe the next step is to tackle these; I wonder what his site says on these.

Thanks for sharing this website, i'm printing the basic rules as we speak, this is one of the reasons i really love this forum because we all take the time to support each other find a way through this

I used to frequent at a forum called TeenOutReach but it got shut down. One of the councillors that frequented at the forum was this guy who basically volunteered his time there. I once asked him for some help, and he showed me this page. I guess I am easily persuaded by information, so I accepted what was written on the page and it made me feel better for a long while. I hope for some of you it will make you feel better.

For a while it stopped working for me when the pressures of getting ready for uni caused me a great deal of stress and anxiety. I think maybe the next step is to tackle these; I wonder what his site says on these.

Thank you Paper. :hearts:

• 4 months later...

Hi, Paper,

I just ran across your post about running across my website and wanted to say, "hi." I remember chatting with you on Teenoutreach. Hope you're doing well. And, thanks for the nice comments ;)

Donnie