Sign in to follow this  
DesertLily

What Should I Do?

I just started taking Zoloft a couple wks ago but it's not helping. The suicidal thoughts have gone away but it feels like I'm getting worse because I am losing interest in everything. I just want to stay home and sleep, I even called off work last wk which is something I usually never do. I also have been getting really bad headaches that won't go away even with advil or something. I just called my PCP and they are suppose to call me back and next wk I'm suppose to have an appt with a new therapist. I hate waiting. Especially if things aren't going to work out. Last wk I had an appt with a new therapist that I waited a wk for and then I didn't end up liking her so I am not going back. I don't know what to do. I've taken Zoloft before about 4-5 yrs ago and it helped with no side effects so why isn't it working now?

I just started taking Zoloft a couple wks ago but it's not helping. The suicidal thoughts have gone away but it feels like I'm getting worse because I am losing interest in everything. I just want to stay home and sleep, I even called off work last wk which is something I usually never do. I also have been getting really bad headaches that won't go away even with advil or something. I just called my PCP and they are suppose to call me back and next wk I'm suppose to have an appt with a new therapist. I hate waiting. Especially if things aren't going to work out. Last wk I had an appt with a new therapist that I waited a wk for and then I didn't end up liking her so I am not going back. I don't know what to do. I've taken Zoloft before about 4-5 yrs ago and it helped with no side effects so why isn't it working now?

Hi Brooke,

I'm really sorry you're having these problems. Unfortunately, it is often the case that when we go back on a medication for a second time, it doesn't work the way it did first time around. I have had this experience with Prozac. It worked well when I first took it, but when I went back to it some years later, it made me feel much worse than I was already feeling and I had to stop taking it.

Who prescribed the Zoloft for you? This is the person you need to talk to, and you need to talk to them soon. Whenever we start new medications we should always be in touch with the prescribing doctor or psychiatrist about side effects and they should see us - or talk to us on the phone - within a day or two. Can you call your doctor back and insist on an appointment WELL before next week??

Regarding headaches, I have heard from several people that Zoloft can cause bad headaches when you first start taking it. I understand that you didn't have any side effects when you took Zoloft several years ago, but, as I say, it seems that we can react very differently to the same medication when we go back to it later.

Please keep us posted, Brooke, and let us know what your doctor says. I also want to reassure you that there are many other anti-depressants you can try so if Zoloft doesn't work, there is every chance that a different medication will.

Wishing you all the very best.

Take care.

Joanna

Hi Brooke,

It sux changing docs and going on meds/changing meds at the same time. This happened to me. I was going back on Aropax and just when I did ,my doc moved away so I had to find someone else. Although Aropax worked for a long time for me, when I went back on I had terrible side effects and had to go off it. All the while waiting for a docs appointment that was far away.

Wen to my first docs appointment and didn't get anything out of it, I felt worse after it. I think this was because it was just an hour talking about my troubled history. The second appointment was a little better, and the third appointment I started feeling like I was getting a lot of good things out of it. I realise now that the first few appointments was just my pdoc getting a back ground so he could then devise a way to treat me. My advice would be to give your doc a fchance with a few appointments before you quit. I was very close to changing docs but am glad I didn't.

My pdoc put me on Zoloft, tried that for two months and didn't see any significant positive results . In fact I felt worse. Recently my pdoc changed me to Effexor which I'm now doing great on (and hopefully continue too).

So yes I agree with Joanna in that a med might work for you once, and not have many side effects and then when you go back on it you can have a compleyly differnt experience. Also I agree that if Zoloft doesn't work then something else will.

Hang in there and it might be a good idea to call your doc and tell them about the meds, and also you're not happy with the results.

It seems SO painful when we go through things like this and take so long. We think we'll never get better.

I know YOU WILL FEEL BETTER :hearts: And we're all here for you!

(((((Brooke)))))

I know waiting is sooo hard, but please be patient. Zoloft has worked in the past for you, so there's a pretty good chance that will work again. It may be that the med needs to build up a bit more in your system than it did last time.

Keep in contact with your doc. Keep a journal tracking your feelings, progress, set-backs, and reaction to Zoloft. This journal will give your doc invaluable info.

What dose are you taking? Is this the same dose as before? Has your doc discussed increasing your dose over time?

If the suicidal thoughts return, a seek immediate help. Call your doc, call emergency services, call the hotlines listed on the scrolling banner at the top of this page.

Just hang in there. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck, sweetie.

Please keep us posted.

:hearts:

-Bean

My primary care physician prescribed the Zoloft.. she called me back and said to stop taking them for 2 wks to see if the side effects go away so she can rule that out. I stopped taking the Zoloft 2 days ago and tonight I am feeling exceptionally sad again and thinking of suicide... I am not to the point of being suicidal right now but it started to cross my mind tonight. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist on the 22nd but that seems forever away. I don't want my PCP to know how bad I am right now so I guess I am going to just try and hang in there for 2 wks. I just want something to go right in my life.

Edited by Brooke

My primary care physician prescribed the Zoloft.. she called me back and said to stop taking them for 2 wks to see if the side effects go away so she can rule that out. I stopped taking the Zoloft 2 days ago and tonight I am feeling exceptionally sad again and thinking of suicide... I am not to the point of being suicidal right now but it started to cross my mind tonight. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist on the 22nd but that seems forever away. I don't want my PCP to know how bad I am right now so I guess I am going to just try and hang in there for 2 wks. I just want something to go right in my life.

Hi Brooke,

If you are having suicidal thoughts you should definitely let someone in real life know. I'm not sure why you don't want your PCP to know how bad you feel? If she did, she would most likely prescribe you something else right away. Clearly you need to be taking some kind of anti-depressant medication. I don't see the point of waiting two weeks, especially not if you are feeling suicidal, since that is much more serious than any side effects you described. Please do contact your PCP right away, tell her how bad you feel and see about starting a new AD now, not in 2 weeks.

Wishing you all the very best and please keep us posted!

Take care.

Joanna

It's so embarrassing to admit to people I think of suicide. Usually whenever I've told someone I've thought of it, the result isn't positive. I'd rather wait it out for 2 wks than tell her how I am really feeling

:hearts: ((((((((Brooke)))))))) :bump:

Sending you big hugs and lots of positive thoughts right now. (((((((())))))) I'm so glad you have found this forum and that you feel you can be honest here about your feelings. Please take good care of yourself and if the suicidal feelings get worse, please do call someone in real life. And keep talking to us too :shocked:

Joanna

((((((Brooke)))))

For me, I felt numb for a while on both of the meds I've taken that worked for me, Celexa and Zoloft, but it passed after a while along with the other side effects. It came back for a time on the celexa at the end, but my doc and I decided it was because my dose was too high and needed reducing.

I can understand the fear of telling someone how you feel, but I'm also afraid of you having to deal with suicidal thoughts for two weeks. I hope you will consider calling your doc and telling them that you're getting worse again. I really wish you'd tell him/her how you're feeling, because the docs can't treat you as effectively if they don't know the whole story. I'm not trying to preach, I've just found that out myself the hard way, and hate to see anyone suffer through hard times like that in silence.

In any case, keep talking to us here, because we understand and we know exactly how you're feeling, okay? I hope that you can find relief soon, any length of time seems like an eternity when you're struggling with depression.

Take care,

Dewayne

I need to talk to someone so desperately but I just keep picking up the phone and dialing no one then putting it back down. Depression has never effected my ability to work but this time I just can't bear the thought of going to work later this wk or school. I don't want to be admitted anywhere like my brother so I don't want anyone I talk to to know who I am. I don't know what to do right now. I just don't want to be here.

Remember that these thoughts usually pass in time and if you want help, you are going to have to call someone and ask for help. Feeling that you don't want to be around anymore is such a scary, but temporary idea and you have enough strength not to act on it.

We're on 24/7 to talk to you, but that's all we can do, Brooke. Finding something to occupy yourself to get these negative thoughts out is important. Is there anyone you can get to come over to visit? Sometimes, this will give you enough relief and time to let these thoughts leave.

Don't act on these thoughts. I know how easy it is to look at this as a way out, but it's nothing but depression and that is treatable. I'm sorry the start up effects were so hard on you. I usually have some nasty ones when I start a new batch of ad's and it's very unpleasant to deal with. Maybe a visit with your doc and telling her that the depression is getting to you and you'd like to try another ad, 'right now', would be more helpful than not having any meds at all.

Love,

Jackie

I need to talk to someone so desperately but I just keep picking up the phone and dialing no one then putting it back down. Depression has never effected my ability to work but this time I just can't bear the thought of going to work later this wk or school. I don't want to be admitted anywhere like my brother so I don't want anyone I talk to to know who I am. I don't know what to do right now. I just don't want to be here.

:hearts: ((((((Brooke)))))) :bump:

I'm so sorry you are in such distress. PLEASE keep trying to make that call. Suicide prevention lines are anonymous so you won't be admitted to hospital by anyone you speak to on the phone. And talking to someone in real life about your feelings could really help you get through this current crisis. But, in the long run you definitely need more support than this. Please will you reconsider calling your PCP and being honest with her about your feelings. Going back on medication could make a huge difference to the way you are feeling so please, please don't delay talking to your PCP about this right away. There IS help out there, Brooke, so please reach out.

Sending big hugs and lots of positive thoughts to you.

Take care.

Joanna

Couple wks ago before I went on meds I was suicidal and ended up calling anonymously to the college counseling and talked to someone. That person told me they could be my lifeline if I ever needed someone so I decided I would go to college early and see if I could talk to her. The secretary told her I was out there and she said the counselor said she leaves in a 1/2 hr and for me to make an appointment. I don't even have a lifeline anymore in case of emergency. I tried calling the suicide hotline before and everytime I call I just hang up because the person who answers sounds like they don't care at all about their job or would care about me. I'm just alone again.

((((((Brooke))))))

You are NOT alone. There are plenty of us here who have been exactly where you have been. It's hard getting help, but don't give up - you are worth the effort.

I know it's hard, but there are always options - you can click on this link and it will take you to a list of hotlines:

Hotlines

I'm sorry you were told to make an appointment, especially when you're feeling so bad. Please keep trying - and please see your doctor ASAP, don't try to make it two more weeks. The sooner you get help, the sooner you can start on the road to recovery.

Please keep in touch, okay?

(((((Hugs,)))))

Dewayne

I called the number but I ended up hanging up. All they kept saying was what are you willing to do to keep yourself safe tonight.. I just didn't know what to say anymore and hung up. I'm just hopeless!

(((((Brooke))))))

You are not hopeless. Depression is a very hard battle to fight, so congratulate yourself for trying - I AM PROUD OF YOU FOR TRYING!

Depression ain't for sissies. It takes courage just to get out of bed, as I know all too well. Please, keep trying. There are many people who go for months or longer before attempting to make that call - so good for you! Just don't give up. If you give up, depression wins. And I don't want to see this disease beat anyone.

You deserve help, and you can get through this. Please take care, and do whatever you have to to get help. Don't let depression win, okay? Stay with us, keep talking to us, and we'll all fight this wretched disease together.

It's not you vs. depression. It's US vs. depression. You are not alone.

Take care,

Dewayne

I just called my therapist and said it was urgent and she faxed a paper to a psychiatrist so I am suppose to have an appt this Friday instead of next Friday to be put on meds...

I just called my therapist and said it was urgent and she faxed a paper to a psychiatrist so I am suppose to have an appt this Friday instead of next Friday to be put on meds...

YAY! Good for you Brooke! That is great news. It must have taken a lot of strength to call your therapist and tell her you need help urgently. WELL DONE. I am so glad to hear that you have an appointment with your psychiatrist in 2 days and that you will be re-starting medication. You have totally done the right thing!!

Wishing you all the strength you need to get through the next couple of days and keeping everything crossed that your new medication starts working very quickly. Please keep in touch with us!

Take care.

Joanna

(((((Brooke)))))

Sometimes the hardest part about recovery is seeking help. You took control of the situation and demanded more immediate aid. Good for you!!! :bump:

I'm sending good wishes your way. :hearts:

Please let us know how the appt goes, what the doc says.

-Bean