Effexor and Lexapro together..........

As a follow up to a post I made here earlier this year re my Effexor stopped working,  does anyone here have any knowledge of having Lexapro added to their Effexor? That's where I'm at now. I thought I had read somewhere here that 2 or 3 people had very good success with this combination, but during my research I have read they should not be taken together. Just curious if anyone has any information that might help me.

Thanks, Bill

It has been many days since you posted this and I hope people with appropriate experience will see it soon and respond to you in kind and helpful ways.  Although I have experience with Lexapro, I do not have experience with the combination you mention. 

• 1 month later...

It's a very strange combination for sure. Years ago, my mom was on Lexapro and her pdoc at the time augmented it with Pristiq (similar to Effexor) and she did very well until she had a takotsubo cardiomyopathy (we're not sure if it was the Pristiq or what that caused it). But depending on your dose of Effexor, the serotonin transporters would already be saturated to the point where adding an SSRI like Lexapro wouldn't benefit you any more (basically you're getting as much serotonin as you can out of your neurons with the Effexor alone, and adding the Lexapro isn't going to help any). Again, depending on your dose of Effexor, it may make more sense to escalate the dose of Effexor further to get some more noradrenergic neurotransmission going on. 225 mg is the typical max dose, but people can be prescribed doses higher than that. I used to be on 375 mg, but people can be prescribed doses of 450 mg and up to 600 mg (very "heroic" doses) assuming they tolerate them okay (BP/heart rate doesn't go up too much).

If switching to another medicine, it would make more sense to go to another SNRI like Cymbalta. Pristiq is basically synthetically pre-digested Effexor. This won't really benefit anyone unless they are a poor metabolizer of CYP2D6. TCAs are another option if one has tried several SSRIs/SNRIs (imipramine, clomipramine).