Donate Now Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
firelizardee

Help with Prescription Costs in UK

If you are on Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance you automatically get free prescriptions.

If you are on Incapacity Benefit or on a low income you can get free prescriptions if you meet certain requirements by filling in an HC1 form (also used to claim help with all health costs (glasses, wigs, travel costs, refund of prescription cost etc).  

The form asks for details of income and any savings you may have (even if you have savings you may still get help).

If you are eligible you will be given an HC2 which gives you

* free NHS prescriptions

* free NHS dental treatment

* free NHS sight tests

* full value of a voucher towards cost of glasses & contact lenses

* free NHS wigs and fabric supports

* refund of necessary costs of travel to & from hospital for NHS treatment

The forms can be picked up at your local Social Security office.

Even if you aren't eligible for free prescriptons if you get a lot of prescriptions there is a pre-pay scheme where you can pay a certain amount in advance and get all your prescriptions through that. You can get details from the pharmacist.

Hi, my partner is on incapacity benefit but we both are on child tax cred, can he still get free prescrptons using the tax cred exemtion or will he have to fill in more forms.

Heron

Hi, my partner is on incapacity benefit but we both are on child tax cred, can he still get free prescrptons using the tax cred exemtion or will he have to fill in more forms.

Heron

I think that if you are on CTC that you get them for free but check the back of a prescription. I know that being on IB doesn't qualify you automatically, you have to fill in an HC1.

I'll check tomorrow at the advice centre I go to.

Eileen

if you get Tax Credits you need to have a Tax Exemption Certificate which qualifies you for free prescriptions. Get a hold of leaflet HC11(TC) which will tell you more.

Eileen