Sign in to follow this  
lestat

Feeling Good Coming Off Zoloft

Hi all,

ok this seems really weird. Ever since I've started tapering off zoloft (100mg to 50mg for two days; 50 mgs to 25mgs for wo days; 25mgs to 0mgs two days). I've been feeling better and better. I'm now on 0mgs of zoloft from this morning. And I can say that I've been feeling pretty good. More like my old self, and less anxious, not depressed

Is it possble that withdrawing from an ad can create feelings of well being? Or maybe zoloft made me feel significantly worse for the time I was on it (two motnhs) that I got so use to it and am now feeling the same way as before I used it, but it seems so much better?

Strange, now I'm wondering whether to start effexor at all! The purpose of me tapering off zoloft was that it wasn't having significant benefit and my pdoc suggested me try effexor.

Strange no (in french accent, I'm not french)?

Hi lestat,

I had a strange experience on another med - I'd feel great for two to three days after having my dose adjusted, and then go downhill until I was feeling worse than before. When I started coming off of it and transitioning to zoloft, I started feeling better too.

And also, a few years ago I foolishly quit taking my meds thinking I was better, because I felt better when I didn't take them. It turned out that I was on too high of a dose instead, and I wound up worse off. That may not be what's happening in your case, but I just wanted to throw that out there for anyone reading this who might need to consider that possibility.

That sounds like a pretty fast taper, is that what your doc recommended? Just wondering, because my doc usually tells me to adjust my dose in weekly increments.

It's still early, so just follow what your doc's advice, and monitor how you're feeling. It might help to keep a mood journal to take with you to the doc's office, and that way you'll have a record of how you've felt since starting the new meds, and might help your doc in treating you.

Take care,

Dewayne

Hi Deebear,

Yeah my pdoc recommended dropping down at that rate. I too thought the taper was rather quick, but anyways, I think my doc wanted to get me onto effexor quick, and I guess I hadn't been on zoloft for a huge amount of time (2months). So I started the effexor today (couple of hours ago). Didn't feel too crash hot last night or currently.

I think I'll keep a mood diary as you suggest, keep track of how I'm feeling better.

Seeing the pdoc tomorrow, so I'll have a chat to him.

lestat -

I had such a horrible reaction to Zoloft that he dropped me from 150mg to 50mg and put me on Effexor at the same time. I noticed an immediete difference. I mean litterally a 24 hour turn around. I lost 20+ pds on Zoloft and had absolutely no stamina or energy to do anything. I couldn't get off the couch but I couldn't concentrate on watching a movie or reading a book either. It was horrible.

I am happy your doing so much better.

Best Wishes,

Lost in the Past

Hi lestat,

If nothing else, just writing in a mood diary helped me keep up with what I wanted to say to the doc. Keep us posted on how you're doing, it's tough enough starting meds, much less changing them.

Take care,

Dewayne

That's likely because for now your REM sleep patterns have become normalized due to usage of the drug. What we find is really that you can use Zoloft and it will work, then even removing it will work for a short time. However the very depressors that triggered your previous instances will return and cause you to relapse. Observe this information:

Please PM member for link

It explains quite clearly what depression is, for the most part. When it's coupled with other symptoms then you have a somewhat difficult to treat illness, especially if it's already severe that you require medications. I expect you'll be taking meds in the near future but what really would've made sense was tapering down to a lower dosage and using a slightly higher one for whenever you felt more ill.

Reason for edit: Outside link removed

Edited by Joanna

Hi all,

went to the PDOC and he was like oh we didn't plan for that, we should've kept you on the lower dosage of 50mg if you felt good on that.

Anyway he said to keep on the effexor since I'cve started it. I felt pretty good yesterday and last night, and also today.

I've read that it's common to be on a high when you first start effexor for a few days. But I don't feel euphoric, just feel relaxed and happy, so hopefully it stays that way.

Hi lestat,

I do hope it works for you, it can make all the difference in the world finding the right treatment. Here's hoping you continue to improve.

Take care,

Dewayne

I was on Zoloft for 11 years, and during that time I did a lot of experimenting with dosage to see where my thresholds were.

I did notice that after dropping 50mg (from 200 to 150, or 150 to 100), I'd get a small mood boost for a day or two. However, that effect NEVER stayed. I always degenerated back into the standard hypersensitivity/temper cycle.

I sincerely hope you weren't experimenting on your own, and that your doctor was guiding you in adjusting your dose... It's definitely not a good idea to treat yourself.

And of course, this is the sort of thing that can help a doctor zero in on the best treatment for a patient, so again, I hope he/she was aware of how you were reacting to dose changes!

Take care,

Dewayne

I have tapered from 150mg to 75 over the course of the last month or so... I've been on 75mg for about two or three weeks. I started feeling incredibly "normal" for a few days....then would feel a little like I was teetering on the edge of good and down.... I was perfectly fine Saturday night and I woke up Sunday morning with that cloudy, distant, unmotivated, anxious, blah feeling again. My anxiety has suddenly been extremely high the past couple of days and I really have nothing to be anxious about....my anxiety is causing my anxiety! I am hoping to switch meds because zoloft hasn't seemed to be a good fit, but feeling like this makes me scared to try another one.

I have tapered from 150mg to 75 over the course of the last month or so... I've been on 75mg for about two or three weeks. I started feeling incredibly "normal" for a few days....then would feel a little like I was teetering on the edge of good and down.... I was perfectly fine Saturday night and I woke up Sunday morning with that cloudy, distant, unmotivated, anxious, blah feeling again. My anxiety has suddenly been extremely high the past couple of days and I really have nothing to be anxious about....my anxiety is causing my anxiety! I am hoping to switch meds because zoloft hasn't seemed to be a good fit, but feeling like this makes me scared to try another one.

Hi croseo,

I'm sorry that Zoloft doesn't seem to be working out for you. But please try not to let that put you off starting a new medication. It often takes several attempts with different anti-depressants before we find the right fit. I know that can be a frustrating and daunting experience, but please keep trying to find a medication that suits you. We all react differently to different medications and there is plenty of reason to believe that you will have more success with another anti-depressant.

Wishing you all the very best, croseo! Please keep us posted.

Take care.

Joanna

Edited by Joanna

Hi croseo,

I hope you will try another med, because my first med made me horribly drowsy and I just thought that was the way things would be. I've found that zoloft is a better fit for me, because it doesn't zonk me out so badly, and if I'd never come round to trying another med I'd have never found out how much better it can be.

I do hope you can find something that "fits" you better, because treatment for depression and anxiety is highly individualized, which is why it's often hard to find the right med.

Take care,

Dewayne

Thank you Dewayne and Joanna! I do plan to try a new med, I'm just scared and know that there will be inevitable side effects and time will tell if it works. I know I still have a ways to go and that I must be patient, I just want to start living again! To start feeling alive! Your reassurance always puts me at ease, I thank everyone here so very much.

Hi croseo,

I wish you all the best in your road to recovery. It is scary, and frustrating, but having navigated that road, I'm glad I put forth the effort. I may not be cured, but I can still manage this illness to the best of my ability, and it makes a tremendous difference in your life when you find a way to do so.

Let us know how things are going, sharing our struggles helps others!

Take care,

Dewayne

I have been taking 200mg of Zoloft for the past 10 years. Although I still felt slightly depressed at times it worked really well for me with one exception. When I was prescribed Zoloft I was not told that it could cause sexual dysfunction. This is the reason I have now been weaned off it. I notice that alot of you are saying how great you feel off Zoloft but I have had the opposite effect. I have had to take a week "stress" leave from work because I couldn't hold myself together, with rapid cycling like I have never experienced before. I called my phych and asked about it and he told me that some people have a really hard time coming off it. Could have warned me! Has anyone else experienced this? I have been taking Zyban for 5 days now. Does anyone know how long that will take to kick in??