Quetiapine/Klonopin - addicted?

I'm very worried that I have become addicted to my psych meds. I'm on the strongest dose of each and even then I can't sleep well. I always get up after just 6 or 7 hours of sleep and I always crash right in the middle of my work shift. Thing is that I can't get to sleep without them.

Am I crazy in thinking I'm addicted? Or is there something to this?

How long have you been taking them for? If you depend on them then it could be an addiction, klonopine is known to be addictive, after as little as 2 weeks.  all benzodiazepines are, because they do give immediate benefit. Your max dosage may not be the medication maximum,  look around on the net for normal dosing levels

I've taken both for about a decade now. And as a pharmacy tech believe me I'm taking the maximum available dosage for each. At least the maximum available in one pill/tablet. I've also tried to stop taking them for at least a weekend and like sober4life said I could't sleep for the whole weekend. I felt like shit that weekend and never missed another dose. I just don't want to become another addicted zombie.

I agree.  We all need something to get through this nightmare.  We're all probably addicted to something.  If we're going to say sleep aids are addictive then maybe the bed and the pillow could be considered addictive too.  Yes I'm joking.🤪

My brother is still going through hell and one doctor thinks it is because of klonopin withdrawal. I have also been on it for almost 15 years and sometimes on quite high doses. Right now I am weaning off at 3 mg daily. You should taper very slow 

• 1 month later...

Benzodiazepines are very addictive and change your brain chemistry after only a few weeks. I supplement them with other things so I only take them 2-3 days a week and that has seemed to keep my receptors from being changed too drastically. It can be difficult though because they're so easy to get. Hang in there use them only once days when it is for too overwhelming. If you can change the type you use too from day to day, it can really make a difference.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 6:23 PM, Mushloves said:

Benzodiazepines are very addictive and change your brain chemistry after only a few weeks. I supplement them with other things so I only take them 2-3 days a week and that has seemed to keep my receptors from being changed too drastically. It can be difficult though because they're so easy to get. Hang in there use them only once days when it is for too overwhelming. If you can change the type you use too from day to day, it can really make a difference.

I agree. I try to tolerate the pain and do cut my pills in half to reduce my exposure to addiction. I’m prescribed three a day and on a normal day can cope with two halves…. As required.

in the evening, which I consider as after 6:00 pm, I will allow myself to have a glass of wine or a beer or a shot, to alleviate pain by knocking the edge of. It could still be considered an addiction but at least its to something else, so more ‘need’ for either is reduced. It is all in my head and some evenings I will take nothing and just go to bed earlier.