Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

A Reminder that we are a PG13 Site   12/09/2016

Please keep in mind that NO content can be posted that is not PG13!  No sexual content and definitely not images which is not permitted in a post! We will delete it.  Not even memes or humorous images should be posted, if you want these forums to continue. NO IMAGES! If you want to post an image, post the URL pointing it to your gallery.  Again, Depressionforums.org is PG13!! Thank you~ ~Forum Admin  
Sign in to follow this  
ados

How long till paxil worked well for you?

How long till paxil worked well for you?   56 members have voted

1. 1. How long till paxil worked well for you?

• 1 week
    • 2 weeks
    • 3 weeks
    • 1 month
    • 6 weeks
    • 2 months
    • Other (please explain)
    • Never (please share...)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

52 posts in this topic

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

I haven't voted yet.

I'm on day 4 of Paroxetine/Paxil 10mg and yesterday I was already having a pleasant feeling :hearts:.

Posted · Report post  

I haven't voted yet.

I'm on day 4 of Paroxetine/Paxil 10mg and yesterday I was already having a pleasant feeling :hearts:.

it took four weeks for me before I started feeling "good". The doc told me 4-6 weeks is the norm for side effcets to dimish and for the effects of paxil to start taking hold. I believe he was right.

Posted · Report post  

I know this will sound strange, but it worked on the first day for me. I did something that probably wasn't recommended and self-medicated. I started out on 40mg and took it at night before bed. When I woke up the next morning, everything was different. The anxiety was gone, but I was shaking real bad. It's something I wouldn't really recommend, but I felt good.

Posted · Report post  

I know this will sound strange, but it worked on the first day for me. I did something that probably wasn't recommended and self-medicated. I started out on 40mg and took it at night before bed. When I woke up the next morning, everything was different. The anxiety was gone, but I was shaking real bad. It's something I wouldn't really recommend, but I felt good.

Just to say that self medication and meds is a very bad idea you were lucky Dave to have so few consequences. It was the meds that removed the anxiety not the self medication .

Posted · Report post  

I dropped out of an acute anxiety orbit within 2 hrs of the first 20mg dose, but is took months for side effects and all anxiety remnants and depression to disappear after which time I was better than I had ever been in my life. Life became a pleasure instead of a millstone. Unfortunately it had a fairly linear down hill run until after 10 years it caused more anxiety than it cured, but that's another story.

Posted · Report post  

I chose Other...

When I first went on them it took a while as I had just come off a different combination which completely did not work for me. So I kind of still had some ongoing side effects from then.

If i come off them now and back on, or i forget a couple of day's doses i feel it about 2 days later and i *know* i didnt have them.

Posted · Report post  

When I first took it back in 1997 to 98, within 3 days I was hypomanic - felt awesome, bouncing off the walls - yet weird things started happening. It created drug seeking behavior, things I'd do but didn't understand, total lack of focus at work. Everyone wanted to know 'what I was on' because I suddenly was so fun to be around.

After maybe a week it dropped off. So, I had the dose upped to 40. After a week or so, same thing. Upped it to 60 and so on and so forth. I KNEW something was wrong but felt so good I wasn't willing to tell anyone or stop. It was a euphoric mania. Eventually it caused 'mixed state' - massive anxiety, dysphoric mania and occasionally euphoria. Again, I knew the whole time something was wrong - it just felt so great to feel okay even though I wasn't ever supposed to feel the way it was making me feel. I maxed out my credit in weeks. I ended up in the hospital where the doctor told me there was NO WAY I wasn't hypermanic BEFORE I took Paxil. I was the quietest person before I took it and was depressed most of my life - deeply depressed - but I couldn't convince the psychiatrist that I wasn't manic like that before. I lost my job - first job I'd ever lost.

Eventually I got off of it and went right back into the same old deep depression from which I've always suffered. However, a lot of the habits that began when I was on paxil stuck around - like drug seeking and so on.

I had a very bad reaction to Prozac also when it first came out but back then - I had no idea that something meant to help you could make strange out of character things happen. All I knew back then - in college in the early 90's was that medications helped people and doctors knew what they were doing. Since then I've learned differently. I've been on everything under the sun by now to no avail.

I started paxil again a year or so ago and I can't say it does anything at all. In fact, the times I forget to take it, I think I may feel a little better. For whatever reason it just has no effect at all anymore. I'm sure when I started it again with all the fear of a reoccurance of what had happened back in 1997 or so....eventually I think the depression and complete lack of energy just makes that euphoric mania sound like the ONLY solution. however, as I said, that didn't happen this time and I'm not sure why I continue to take it.

Nothing has ever worked properly and I've always envied reading about those that ADs work positively for - those who say it saved their lives and they feel normal. In my life, well it only seems to have deteriorated. My hobbies died so long ago, I have not an ounce of energy - I just feel like I exist or rather am just waiting to die. I'm not suicidal but I feel like such damaged goods by now - and such a downer. I never much leave the house anymore - I just have no energy.

years ago I went around the bend with medicating psychiatrists and I've taken literally everything. I guess now I just don't want things to get any worse. I'm pretty but I never married. I never had any kids. These days I feel like I just try not to think too much because I only get more down.

So BLAH. There you have it. Once upon a time Paxil did SOMETHING to me and yeah, it felt good.

Thanks.

Posted · Report post  

So, how long did it take before you found real help from paxil? Please add comments as well; it can be a big help to paxil newbies to learn from our experience!

Karen

My experience with paxil went something like this: When I began paxil, I started at 20mg but within a couple of weeks my doc upped that to 40mg. While it seemed that there was some improvement within the first week (I began to be able to function a bit and felt like perhaps there WAS hope to feel better), I didn't feel as if I was functioning well for about 2 months. It was like after a couple of months I suddenly realized, "Hey, I feel almost good again!"

So, that answers the part about when paxil worked for me. I have had further experiences that I've shared in other threads. But for the basics of when paxil became effective for me, I'd say it took a couple of months -- a long time to wait, but the results were worth it!

:)

Karen

Paxil worked for me in two days, felt much better instantly. Only downside was my inability to sleep well for a while but than I started taking it in the morning or early in the day and things got much better. Its works very well for me, not a miracle but I am able to live my life much, much better. Some days I still feel a bit off kilter but nothing like before. I still have anxiety but not at the level as before. I count myself blessed with this med. I really hope it worked this well for all.

Posted · Report post  

I felt signs of improvement after a week or two.It took more than two months to fully work.Its been a very good drug for me and i hope for a long-term use.

Posted · Report post  

Wow, maybe it is not working for me if you guys are getting results within weeks. I have been on it for well near 90 days, and have been on the 50mg time release dose for over 30 days. Should the change be so obvious that it is unmistakeable. I have a bad few days a week or so ago, so I wonder if I should respect down days once in awhile. I am feeling good now, but that could just be event driven (meaning nothing circumstantial is getting me down). My feelings of "doom" aer generally more under control, but that could be due to my change in emotional outlook?

Posted · Report post  

I started to really notice a difference after about a month on 40 mgs with my OCD. I was still getting panic attacks, though, so they upped me to 60 mgs (30 mgs/twice a day) earlier this week hoping it would help my panic attacks, too. I really love Paxil, it helps so much. Just hoping it will help with the panic attacks as much as it did with the OCD soon.

Posted · Report post  

Im on day 7 at 10mg and I feel irritable and anxious. The funny thing is is that the first 2 days I felt soo great. I started it at night and woke up feeling talkative and happy. weird.

Posted · Report post  

I know i shouldn't be posting this in this thread but I don't know how to make a post of my own.

When I was 18 years old, I was put on Paxil for depression and anxiety and after 1 month it was wonderful. I took it for about 6 years and stopped for no good reason at all. I went back into a black hole with obsessive thoughts and anxiety. I went back on it and it worked wonderfully again. I then stopped 2 years ago to get pregnant. While I was pregnant I ended up back in that black hole. So my doctor put me on Celexa because its safe while pregnancy. After a month of giving birth I gave that up because I didn't find it really helped anyways. Well, today I am back in that black hole with no hope obsessive thoughts, aniexty attacks and just wanting to die. I started Celexa 6 days ago but stopped that and was put back on Paxil. Does anyone think the paxil will work again? I just need alittle bit of hope. My son needs his mom and I can't be there for him right now.

Posted · Report post  

I went off Paxil once and went into a black hole too. It took awhile of trying different meds but ultimately I went back on Paxil with another med as a supplement to it. Finally I got out of my depression. Little by little, I went off the other med and am taking just Paxil again. It has worked very well. I did have to up the dosage though. I think it was a couple of weeks and I felt good again. Hang in there!

Posted · Report post  

I went off Paxil once and went into a black hole too. It took awhile of trying different meds but ultimately I went back on Paxil with another med as a supplement to it. Finally I got out of my depression. Little by little, I went off the other med and am taking just Paxil again. It has worked very well. I did have to up the dosage though. I think it was a couple of weeks and I felt good again. Hang in there!

Just hearing someone say it can get better makes a world of difference. I have been feeling abit better and upped the paxil to 20mg 3 days ago, I am abit edgy but hopeful.

Posted · Report post  

Paxil worked wonders for me. As I mentioned in another post, I started while I was still taking Lorazepam and even though results are supposed to take weeks, after only a couple of days my husband said he noticed improvement (so I guess my depression must have been severe). Then, after a couple of weeks, I was sitting at work one day and suddenly it seemed as if the entire room became brighter..it was like my mind was refreshed.

The drawbacks were that my libido was basically stifled and it lead to increased apetite, causing weight gain. But after I got off the medication the side effects stopped of course, so to me the drawbacks were worth it.

Posted · Report post  

Paxil worked wonders for me. As I mentioned in another post, I started while I was still taking Lorazepam and even though results are supposed to take weeks, after only a couple of days my husband said he noticed improvement (so I guess my depression must have been severe).

The drawbacks were that my libido was basically stifled and it lead to increased apetite, causing weight gain. But after I got off the medication the side effects stopped of course, so to me the drawbacks were worth it.

I too felt great improvement within days of taking Paxil. The effects on my libido went away after about a month. May I suggest anyone taking it try not to automatically assume you're going to gain weight. I wonder if it's sometimes a self-fullfilling prophecy. I had a strong belief that I would in fact lose. The first month I was taking Paxil CR I lost 10 pounds without any trying on my part. I'm currently up to 20 lost in ten weeks.

Posted · Report post  

It took me two weeks before I felt any relief and even then it was minor. Its been 7 weeks at 40 mg. I have great weeks and bad weeks but they are not as bad as before I started taking it. Paxil has worked for me for years at 20 mg. I just upped the dosage to 30 mg and then 40 mg when my life got a little overwhelming for me to handle and i have hyperthyroid which has screwed up my hormone levels. I'm taking thyroid meds to level it out along with the increase dosage of Paxil. It takes a few months to be back to yourself again, but it does happen. I'm even doing psychotherapy to help me deal when I am having bad weeks and waking up anxious and agitated. Patience is not one of my strong suits so Paxil has been a huge help to me in getting me back to work and a productive member of society again.

Posted (edited) · Report post  

Hy. I took paxil 2 times. First time like an year ago it took 5 weeks to kick in . Now Im on it for 1 month and it start having effect in like 3 weeks.If u are having problems with it like if it doesnt have effect on you, you shouldnt stop searching for the right med.I tried a large list of meds (like 5-6 antidepressants) before i found this one.It takes a lot of time and also and advice for depression u should try psychotherapy.In my experience meds cure the illness( if we can call it this way) but psychotherapy get you out of the house. good luck

--btw i take 40 mg of paxil and yes its possible to encounter sexual problems but with the right partner and some zinc supliments that i take too Im sure you will be just fine

Edited by nimsocosmin

Posted · Report post  

I've been on paxil now for 9 weeks. First it was 10mg and two weeks ago had it increased to 20mg. Definately feeling better than I did when I first started taking it. It is taking longer than I hoped to really build up in my system but everyone's different I suppose. I'm really hoping to feel more improvement in the next few weeks. It's a SLOW process for me but I started to feel better at about 2 months but still not 100%.

Posted · Report post  

I have been on Paxil 20 mg for a couple of weeks and was feeling pretty good and "back to normal" after long depressive episode since September. All of a sudden, depression and intrusive thoughts (and lack of appetite) are creeping back in. I am also on 2.5 mg of Zyprexa. Anxiety is under control, though I know that if the depression continues to get worse I will start to get very anxious about it. I'm so disappointed. I guess an increase in dosage is in order? Thing is, I don't know what to increase - the Paxil or the Zyprexa. I see my doctor on the 15th and will ask her, of course.

I was just wondering if anyone had experienced this with Paxil, like a "poop out" after a couple of weeks. I'd like to think it is just a bad couple of days - normal ups and downs - but I have a bad feeling about it. The return of the intrusive thoughts is what really worries me.

Posted · Report post  

2 weeks . Felt like a lightswitch turned on the good feelings again. The initial start up side effects were horrific though

It made me incredibly selfish though and I've only realised after being on them so long

I withdrew very slow 20mg one day 10 mg one day for 2 weeks , 10 mg for 2 weeks, 10 and 5 and so on ,I did not get any withdrawal symptoms whatsoever

I'm now trying remeron and enduring the start up effects