Motivation And Depression

allypoo

After a good week or so after starting therapy and medication, I found myself unable to accomplish anything. I've lost any and all motivation that I once had to succeed, and my apathy is one reason my suicidal thoughts are coming back.

I tried doing some reading for class last night, and I found myself completely unable to retain anything. I haven't gone to class in over a week, and I keep skipping easy quizzes and assignments that I just don't care about. I even skipped my therapy session last week.

My inability to start or finish anything is becoming extremely damaging to my newfound positive outlook. Even the things that made me feel better before are starting to become insignificant in my mind.

What can I do to bring myself back to where I was before? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I also just started seeing a Psychiatrist and started Lexapro last week after a failed suicide attempt. I'm feeling the same way as you are. I'm not as depressed but the side effects are really starting to scare me. I also read awful things on the internet about Lexapro so I'm worried about being on this medication. I was not able to focus in class the other night, I have NO motivation either. I haven't been on my bike in weeks and that is just not like me. I hope we can find an answer. I just wanted you to know you are not alone!

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}

:hearts: Trekgirl & allypoo :bump:

Been in the place you both been before many a time and am in that place again, so I understand what you both could be feeling.

From what I have learnt with going back on medication or even for the first time, I have to give it time to get into my system and I have found that in the time that I have started taking the meds it always seems to be worse then it was before it started. But it does get better in time! Just got to ride it out and let that medication start working for you. This is coming from someone who gets quite impatient and wants things to happen quickly and wonders why its not still happening.

Maybe its time to make another appointment and go back and see your PDoc and let them know what is going on, this could very well help you to get started a bit more. I find having a bit of support helps me get going. But often I find I have to find that within.

HUGS To both of you,

Keep posting

Isabeau :shocked:

First of all my heart goes out to you, I know how tough it is trying to battle depression and get yourself on track while other things are going on. When I started taking Lexapro I too had problems concentrating and retaining information it made me very frustrating. For me I found that time and going on a lower dosage (breaking my 10mg to 5mg) really helped with those strange side effects from Lexapro, I think i was just taking more than I needed really even though I was prescribed to take 10mg. I've taken Celexa, Paxil and Lexapro and I swear that Lexapro was the only one that made me feel confused, forgetful and uncaring.

It really takes a while for medications to start kicking in really and 1 week is not enough, sometimes I feel like when I start going back on meds after a hiatus I can feel even worse for a couple of weeks until my body gets used to it again.

You are on the right track going to a psych taking your meds and going to school. I'm in the same boat and I know it can be a frustration but remember to have patience with yourself

Guest mikethedepressedguy
After a good week or so after starting therapy and medication, I found myself unable to accomplish anything. I've lost any and all motivation that I once had to succeed, and my apathy is one reason my suicidal thoughts are coming back.

I tried doing some reading for class last night, and I found myself completely unable to retain anything. I haven't gone to class in over a week, and I keep skipping easy quizzes and assignments that I just don't care about. I even skipped my therapy session last week.

My inability to start or finish anything is becoming extremely damaging to my newfound positive outlook. Even the things that made me feel better before are starting to become insignificant in my mind.

What can I do to bring myself back to where I was before? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I feel exactly the same way. When i was in my 20's in college (never finished) I had no motivation or any confidence in myself so i basically bombed out. Then later on in my late 20's i started getting motivation for things i liked doing, but now in my late 30's i feel very low motivation. A few years ago I had gone off my medication and then tried to start it again but it didnt seem to be as theraputic. I am on a different one, but it isn't giving me any "pep".

i hate the job i have and i don't even feel like doing my work. I usually procrastinate and have to wait till the last minute to get it done because the pressure of waiting to the last minute, forces me to do it. without the pressure, i just don't do it right away. i like to goof on the internet (editting or building web sites and checking my e-mail), and to be honest, i really hate it when someone comes to me with an assignment that interferes with my goofing off.

It isn't just boring work activities that I don't do, I also don't do things at my apartment either. My roommate probably thinks i am lazy. I don't clean the shower right away and I don't take the garbage out unless it is overflowing. My bedroom is a total mess with piles of clothes all over the place and papers all over the place. I don't know how to be organized and in all honesty, I think i have given up. I need help to be organized.

The mindset I have is: nothing really matters, no ones going to die if it doesn't get done. I know that isn't the right mindset to have, but it is how i feel and i don't know how to change it. I need someone to push me to change.

I also have absolutely no desire whatsoever to exercise. i tell myself i will but i never do. exercising is soooooo boring! plus it hurts too, it isn't enjoyable at all! i have friends say that after they work out they feel good, I don't have any clue what they are talking about. maybe i am unable to get pleasure from things other people get pleasure from. i don't know.

I just like sitting and watching tv. i can watch tv all day! i never get bored.