Treatment-Resistant Depression ..

How do we cope? When no medication, treatment, has helped 😞

Pramipexole (Mirapex) and Ropinirole (Requip) there have been studies that have helped those who suffer with depression, but I would ask your doctor first, because it can get tricky if you have anxiety too, they increase anxiety .etc..

Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS). This type of treatment uses magnetic fields to stimulate nerve cells in the brain to improve symptoms of depression. An electromagnetic coil is placed against your scalp near your forehead. The electromagnet used in rTMS creates electric currents that stimulate nerve cells in the region of your brain involved in mood control and depression. Typically, this treatment is delivered over 30-minute sessions in rapid bursts. This treatment can now be delivered over briefer sessions with dosing called intermittent theta burst stimulation.

Ketamine is a medication that's delivered through an IV in low doses. It's used for rapid relief of hard-to-treat depressive symptoms and its effects can last from days to weeks. Usually it's given in decreasing frequencies over several weeks. The FDA approved an intranasal form called esketamine that's given in a physician's office or a clinic under the supervision of a health care provider to monitor for possible serious side effects and because of the potential for abuse and misuse. Esketamine is for adults who have tried at least two other antidepressant medications that did not adequately control symptoms. Ketamine and esketamine work in the brain in a different way than standard antidepressants, and each is typically used along with an oral antidepressant.

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). While you're asleep, a carefully measured dose of electricity is passed through your brain, intentionally triggering a small, brief seizure. ECT seems to cause changes in brain chemistry that can relatively quickly reverse symptoms of major depression. Although there are potential side effects, such as temporary confusion or temporary memory loss, a series of ECT treatments may provide significant relief of severe depression.

Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS). Generally, VNS is only tried after other brain stimulation therapies such as ECT and rTMS have not been successful in improving symptoms of depression. VNS stimulates the vagus nerve with electrical impulses. This treatment uses a device implanted in your chest that's connected by a wire to a nerve in your neck (vagus nerve). Electrical signals from the implant travel along the vagus nerve to the mood centers of the brain, which may improve depression symptoms.

MAOIs can help as well. Parnate or Nardil but gotta watch your diet.

@ladysmurf what kinda doctor do you see about the vegus nerve? I tried to see a GI about it but they dont even wanna see me

8 hours ago, Zagor said:

MAOIs can help as well. Parnate or Nardil but gotta watch your diet.

@ladysmurf what kinda doctor do you see about the vegus nerve? I tried to see a GI about it but they dont even wanna see me

hey, I've taken MAOI's but they didn't do anything either. They made me feel worse..

Not sure about Vagus Nerve.. I font think i could even afford it...I just wrote it for those who are struggling..

Also Namenda is something people are using for depression/ anxiety it didn't do much for me...I had a bad experience with it.

On 7/10/2022 at 12:20 PM, ladysmurf said:

hey, I've taken MAOI's but they didn't do anything either. They made me feel worse..

Not sure about Vagus Nerve.. I font think i could even afford it...I just wrote it for those who are struggling..

Also Namenda is something people are using for depression/ anxiety it didn't do much for me...I had a bad experience with it.

What has helped you if anything?

My problem is firstly anxiety and I would literally rate it 12/10. They wanna send me for TMS but as they say to the side of the brain for depression not anxiety. I'd like some meds for extreme anxiety but don't know what to take. I feel im in distress mode 247

15 hours ago, Zagor said:

What has helped you if anything?

My problem is firstly anxiety and I would literally rate it 12/10. They wanna send me for TMS but as they say to the side of the brain for depression not anxiety. I'd like some meds for extreme anxiety but don't know what to take. I feel im in distress mode 247

You can do TMS for depression and anxiety. Talk to a bunch of places that offer TMS nearby you if you are interested in doing it... TMS is done both for depression/anxiety. Personally I didn't have any success with it, neither did any of the people I met. I've only met 1 person who had success with it.  Both my anxiety and depression are bad, I don't take any medication for them because nothing works.  Have you looked into natural supplements? Sometimes those help people, yoga, meditation, exercise, therapy, ...I think it just comes down to what helps you individually when you are treatment-resistant, because we all benefit from different things.

3 hours ago, ladysmurf said:

You can do TMS for depression and anxiety. Talk to a bunch of places that offer TMS nearby you if you are interested in doing it... TMS is done both for depression/anxiety. Personally I didn't have any success with it, neither did any of the people I met. I've only met 1 person who had success with it.  Both my anxiety and depression are bad, I don't take any medication for them because nothing works.  Have you looked into natural supplements? Sometimes those help people, yoga, meditation, exercise, therapy, ...I think it just comes down to what helps you individually when you are treatment-resistant, because we all benefit from different things.

I have tried natural supplements such as nootropics. Many of them but nothing worked. Never tried Yoga , therapy nor anything like that mainly because I need something to stabilize me a bit. I was explained that TMS works different on 1 side of the brain like left side is for anxiety and right side for depression or vice versa but they are very hesitant to do the anxiety side unless I pay outof my pocket which I can't afford. I might try MAOIs and TMS (anyway) but vegus nerve can cause severe anxiety but they cut down on mental health care in my province. IDK what to say I truly despise psychiatrists or 99% of them but unfortunatelly I still need them even though I don't like nor trust them.  

Well that's the reason none of it works for us anymore.  We don't trust them.  We don't believe any of it will work anymore.  That's all it ever is.  If you believe it works it works which means none of it actually does work.  It's just like a placebo effect.

Benzodiazepine will stabilise you, comes in many forms all require a prescription. They work on anxiety quickly, like 30 minutes….. to give you a chance to figure out something else…..

i use Clonemazepan but others are available depending where you are

15 hours ago, sober4life said:

Well that's the reason none of it works for us anymore.  We don't trust them.  We don't believe any of it will work anymore.  That's all it ever is.  If you believe it works it works which means none of it actually does work.  It's just like a placebo effect.

I disagree. Many people with full faith try everything and anything and if they are treatment resistant no help for them.

7 hours ago, Extremebeginner said:

Benzodiazepine will stabilise you, comes in many forms all require a prescription. They work on anxiety quickly, like 30 minutes….. to give you a chance to figure out something else…..

i use Clonemazepan but others are available depending where you are

Benzos have caused me to feel worse. I was taking it for 15 years in high doses and now there is nothing to help me for withdrawal.

23 hours ago, Zagor said:

I have tried natural supplements such as nootropics. Many of them but nothing worked. Never tried Yoga , therapy nor anything like that mainly because I need something to stabilize me a bit. I was explained that TMS works different on 1 side of the brain like left side is for anxiety and right side for depression or vice versa but they are very hesitant to do the anxiety side unless I pay outof my pocket which I can't afford. I might try MAOIs and TMS (anyway) but vegus nerve can cause severe anxiety but they cut down on mental health care in my province. IDK what to say I truly despise psychiatrists or 99% of them but unfortunatelly I still need them even though I don't like nor trust them.  

It can be done in both sides, but it's a shame that your insurance won't cover it. Unreal , I can't believe it.  I have tried certain supplements too, but they didn't do much to be honest with you. I think they work for some for others no. I will try to post some of the ones I've tried later..

Look up patch V3

5 hours ago, Zagor said:

Benzos have caused me to feel worse. I was taking it for 15 years in high doses and now there is nothing to help me for withdrawal.

You are trying to stop a benzo? I would ask your doctor, because you have to do it slow, they can cause many problems if you do it suddenly.

I don't remember where I saw it, maybe on YouTube, but a fellow who had been on benzos for years went cold turkey and had his friend make a video of him twitching and shuddering. It was quite horrible.

9 hours ago, John_in_SF said:

I don't remember where I saw it, maybe on YouTube, but a fellow who had been on benzos for years went cold turkey and had his friend make a video of him twitching and shuddering. It was quite horrible.

yeah in general you don't want to quit cold turkey any medication...i'm not a medical professional but i know benzos are really tough to quit..and should be done under doctor supervision.

On 7/13/2022 at 6:01 AM, Zagor said:

I disagree. Many people with full faith try everything and anything and if they are treatment resistant no help for them.

there's always new stuff coming out, but it's really hard to keep being hopeful when you've struggled with this for so long...i am lucky i have a good support system. i have met along the years others who are treatment-resistant too in my inpatient stays so i've  kept in touch with a few people. also i am considering joining an online support group. i recently signed up for a study that is happening too that's for those who are treatment-resistant and if all goes well i will start that soon. if i can provide some information to the field that might help others not suffer as much as i have and even help me i'm fine with that.

10 hours ago, ladysmurf said:

there's always new stuff coming out, but it's really hard to keep being hopeful when you've struggled with this for so long...i am lucky i have a good support system. i have met along the years others who are treatment-resistant too in my inpatient stays so i've  kept in touch with a few people. also i am considering joining an online support group. i recently signed up for a study that is happening too that's for those who are treatment-resistant and if all goes well i will start that soon. if i can provide some information to the field that might help others not suffer as much as i have and even help me i'm fine with that.

That's good. My biggest problem for the last 2 years which has actually made me feel much worse is my brother's suffering. It's so hard to watch him suffer and nothing is helping. Everyday stress since we are living together. I could move out but I can't leave him being so sick despite it's negative effects on me.

And I wish I could make some friends in real life it would be real helpful when I feel OK but I don't even know where to make any. I did try online then I backed up because it seemed odd to me.

Edited by Zagor

6 hours ago, Zagor said:

That's good. My biggest problem for the last 2 years which has actually made me feel much worse is my brother's suffering. It's so hard to watch him suffer and nothing is helping. Everyday stress since we are living together. I could move out but I can't leave him being so sick despite it's negative effects on me.

And I wish I could make some friends in real life it would be real helpful when I feel OK but I don't even know where to make any. I did try online then I backed up because it seemed odd to me.

I understand.....I don't really feel comfortable with online support groups and doctor appointments I'd rather go in person, but it's the world we live in today, although some places are slowly going back into actual face to face person.. however, I'd say if there's something that interests you , or perhaps look into a new hobby, that could help to make new friends. Before covid I started a new hobby that I wanted to for years, and I was terrified , but I actually met really interesting people there, and I kept in touch with one of them, we still talk today, not as much as before because now she's married with a kid, but at least once or twice a month we talk. she didn't want to be that pushy, but she said when i felt more comfortable (because ive been isolating the last year or so) we can meet up, for now all we do is talk on the phone. maybe that could help?

I don’t think there’s any treatment for me and I don’t even have the money to go for treatments. I’m just preparing myself to live with this for the next half a century…omg typing that down sounds scary…perhaps im not suffering as bad as you. I’m just tired of trying to find a way so I’m just in a cycle of going out there, then hiding again when things happen, then stay in my hole till I dunno when I can get out again. 

I hope u do find the treatment you need! 

Depression is 1) circumstantial, and 2) financial-related. 

How is treatment possible then? No one can control what situations can happen to him/her; and winning enough lotterys until you no longer need to work is nearly impossible 

I agree. I’m in Canada and thought I might get better help under our medicare program. 
However, here are a few factual realities of our so called free system.

you will get briefly admitted to a psychiatric hospital, but will be discharged within days if you are not a present threat to yourself or others. Some hospital emergency rooms are presently closed due to staff shortages. Yes -closed-

rehab is for the wealthy only.
you will get drugs prescribed which you need insurance to pay for.

you will get a recommendation for therapy, but the waiting list for subsidised is over a year. Private therapy, if you can actually find an open therapist, is between 120 and 150$ an hour.

so if you have TRD in Canada you are basically better of working as much as you can, until you lose that job, and get another job or pray that you win the lottery. For me I am supposed to get therapy twice a week, but am currently at twice a month, if there is any cash left.

In the US it's the same thing with all health care.  They try to come up with ways to make people feel like they have to keep coming back.  All you hear here is it's so hard to find a good doctor that really seems to care about their patients.  Once disability was created it made it so their waiting rooms were always full of people that felt like they had to keep coming back.  They all have reviews regularly and they have to have doctors say they are still disabled every time.  Once we got there it was over.  Why would they make changes when the waiting rooms are always full?

On 7/25/2022 at 7:02 AM, sober4life said:

In the US it's the same thing with all health care.  They try to come up with ways to make people feel like they have to keep coming back.  All you hear here is it's so hard to find a good doctor that really seems to care about their patients.  Once disability was created it made it so their waiting rooms were always full of people that felt like they had to keep coming back.  They all have reviews regularly and they have to have doctors say they are still disabled every time.  Once we got there it was over.  Why would they make changes when the waiting rooms are always full?

sad but true reality.....in all my life dealing with this illness, i've only come across like a few good people in the medical field who went out of their way to help me. the rest just pretended like they cared, here take this medication and come back in 2-3 weeks....you end up in the hospital, you go partials, you have to see your therapist weekly... you get out of the hospital and might end up back in the hospital in another 6 months or a year..(or 2-3 years, everyone's experience is different)...and it went on and on like that for decades , ...and it's still on like that .....for many people .....sadly i met a person in my recent hospitalization who was in there for over 3 months. 😞 but you have a point if they actually take the time to figure out why we feel this way, why we are struggling, how we could benefit where would that leave them? without their office waiting rooms being full..

On 7/24/2022 at 9:56 PM, Extremebeginner said:

I agree. I’m in Canada and thought I might get better help under our medicare program. 

you will get briefly admitted to a psychiatric hospital, but will be discharged within days if you are not a present threat to yourself or others. Some hospital emergency rooms are presently closed due to staff shortages. Yes -closed-

you will get a recommendation for therapy, but the waiting list for subsidised is over a year. Private therapy, if you can actually find an open therapist, is between 120 and 150$ an hour.

so if you have TRD in Canada you are basically better of working as much as you can, until you lose that job, and get another job or pray that you win the lottery. For me I am supposed to get therapy twice a week, but am currently at twice a month, if there is any cash left.

that's so unfair that you can't even get therapy........and we can relate therapists here in the USA are taking advatange of the shortage of therapists....if you go online searching for a therapists...I've seen people charge from $150 to $500 per session and only CASH! Who has $200 or $500 a week to pay for a therapy session ? because the average American i know does not...and many people struggle, and don't have that type of money to pay insurance..i have met quite a few of them

On 7/24/2022 at 7:56 PM, Extremebeginner said:

Can you get therapy through any community organization? I managed to get it through Islamic Services and they are paying $150 on my behalf every week. I used to wait for province appointed subsided therapy and after about a year later I got someone who had no idea how to help me. So not only is waiting time too long but you risk to get an inexperienced one.