Anhedonia help

Emu567

Hi ,

im a 26 year old student who has been suffering with depression and psychosis for the past 3 years. 
For the past year I have also suffered with anhedonia . I barely feel any pleasure from activities I used to enjoy . It’s physical as well, I can’t enjoy bathing or drinking a cup of tea. I also can’t enjoy sex and my sex drive is really low. I just feel an uncomfortable emptiness. I’m feeling very depressed at the moment, I can barely get out of bed in the morning and spend all day on the sofa. The anhedonia makes it so much worse. I’m wondering if I’m stuck like this , if my brain is permanently damaged or is there some hope for recovery ? Are there any tips for overcoming anhedonia and regaining pleasure in life ? 

You're not alone. Since my wife passed, I have no pleasure in anything. I used to be a voracious reader...haven't finished a book this year yet. I've lost all interest in my gaming...and I own thousands of PlayStation Games...We used to spend hours in the kitchen cooking up meals...now everything has no taste and I don't venture into any extensive cooking adventures. This has been going on for two years now. I just do what needs to be done when it needs to be done. Besides that, I just veg in front of the computer and TV...

hello

this is such a pain to go through indeed, I hope it gets easier soon

I'm sure there's a way out of this

I have tried reading some CBT books on managing depression (they have tips to overcome anhedonia), could this help?

I wish you well!

I think to cure or diminish the effects of anhedonia, we need to have one or several activities that we can enjoy. The struggle is finding these activities when you are feeling low. I suffer from the hopelessness that this brings but keep going believing that one day an activity will arrive that does give me pleasure or restores pleasure in an old activity..... My psychiatrist, tried to encourage me to just get out there...... something will surprise me. Some of the CBT techniques are helpful, especially in identifying the cognitive distortions and learning to think past them.

I dont think there is a magic pill or wand for anhedonia but keep trying to find something, that's what we do as humans. Share any moments you have. I try to have 3 positive things that I do each day..... they don't need to be massive goals, taking a hot shower is sometimes on my list

Life is like groundhog day for most people.  I think it's normal to get sick of everything.  By my age in my 40s most of the things you say sound more like grunts than words.  You don't even want to say the words you have to say anymore.  You don't care if you can see or hear well anymore.  You just sit here and wait for it to be over.

• 2 weeks later...

What makes it worse is I hear voices telling me I don’t deserve to feel pleasure and they are going to do surgery to punish me and take away my pleasure . They say vile abusive things to me and threaten to assault me constantly . I keep telling them to stop but they don’t listen . I also experience horrible tactile hallucinations underneath my scalp- a kind of burning and painful sensation in the centre of my brain. It’s become a living hell for me every day and I’m so angry I don’t know what to do . 

• 2 weeks later...