Sign in to follow this  
randomthoughts

What Kind Of Job Do You Hold?

Education/Job  

536 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of education/job do you have?

• Bachelors/Masters/PhD... working a high powered job with lots of social/business and/or technical requirements... such as engineer, business leader, etc
    • Associates/Bachelors... working a job that is pretty specific and repetative, not required to worry about huge decisions, just do your work
    • High School... blue collar work

I'm an Operations Supervisor for a major 24/7 ambulance company. We handle everything from intaking emergency and non emergency calls, dispatching the calls, state/department of health regulations, scheduling, triaging call priorities, maintaining our ambulance fleet, and every other aspect of work involving the employees. We write our own policies, do our scheduling, etc etc etc. Its an extremely stressful job with too many decisions to be made on a minute to minute basis. Its our job to not only worry about the patients we get called for but to make sure our employees get safely home at the end of every shift. Our days are often 5x/week usually 12ish hours a day. Thats not to mention we are "on call" off hours, on a rotating basis, for emergencies. I also am in the middle of a full-time Masters program...which can sometimes feel like a 2nd full-time job.

Depression, for me, has definitely impacted my job. I find myself not wanting to go to work..not being able to handle it most days. Decision making? Don't ask. I've 'frozen' in a number of situations where I didn't have time to freeze because the overwhelming sense of every corner of the room closing in has just been too much. I constantly cry or am at the verge of crying. I avoid people, though often not very feasible, at all costs. I also find myself very short and irritable with just about everything and everything at work. Being able to run home and get into bed is the one solace at the end of the day. As for school...well, I technically am enrolled but frankly haven't touched it in over a month. The thought of sitting down and doing my papers is just too much. I'd rather be in bed and left alone. its definitely a dark and deep hole.

I have a boring, extremely frustrating, soul-numbing office job in a field that doesn't interest me at all. The worst part of it is, I'm hesitant to apply anywhere else because it would just be a waste of time; I won't be hired.

Omigoodness, I know how you feel. I just think, "what's the point?"

I work in medical records at a psychiatric facility. I do so many things for the office. It doesn't pay that great so I'm not able to really save or do much outside of work for "fun" (whatever that is).

I thought it was so awesome that I immediately started working after graduating college in December 2010 with a BA in psych. But now that I'll be coming up on my 3rd year of working where I am, I just feel more and more stuck. I *hate* waking up each morning so I push my snooze button 3-4 times. I literally think "Nooooo" when the alarm goes off. Plus, the benefits and raises have sucked so much where I'm at it's sickening. And my "team" is so unbalanced when it comes to the responsibilities.

My job isn't complicated, but it's also not very rewarding/challenging. Another thing is I *HATE* answering the phone if I know it's a former patient or doctor's office calling because I always get so friggin' tongue tied when trying to explain myself. And I know what I'm trying to say, it just doesn't come out right.

I feel so stuck. I don't want to be in medical records forever but I feel like my depression keeps me in the cycle. There's no way I'll ever be able to afford much of a life if I stay there. Money contributes a lot to my depression too. It is disheartening to think about people having to work minimum wage or close to minimum wage jobs because we just cannot support ourselves on that when you think about all the crap we have to pay for.

End rant. :(

I probably answered already, but I'll take another whack at it.

I'm a "professional" who manages a crew of talented, but very head-strong people. Lots of conflict within our operation and I get tossed into it frequently. "Dynasties" have been established and woe to the person who tries to shake anything up a little in order to accomplish something.

My colleagues are very skilled and dedicated. I feel like a complete clod in comparison.

Depression and ADD make it very difficult to cope with the fast-paced nature of our business. I find myself freezing when trying to make decisions.

I ain't cut out for it, but I'm too old to move into something else.

Other than that, I love it here.

okay i do not fall on that poll.

I have high school and a diploma against my name.

I am an assistant manager for a Book store

I'm a ward clerk at a hospital, not sure where that would go in the categories. I enjoy it, it can be challenging, the pay isn't amazing but it's enough and it's a good environment to be in. Course I'm not doing the life saving myself, but I'm helping the people who are and on good days I can be proud of it, it's the most satisfying job I've ever had. Still, although a job, a relationship or whatever is a significant part of anyone's life, even that doesn't seem to keep the rain away.

I wonder how many of us are perfectionists or type A personalities? I know I have some traits of both.

Early in my career I worked in hospital labs and I found this work to be the most fulfilling. I enjoyed having a defined, precise structure to my day and having tangible and achieveable goals. It could be stressful but I nearly always hit my targets and walked away each day feeling as though I had achieved something. In the end it was the utter boredom of doing the same things at the same times each day for months on end that finished me off!

Now I am working to goals that are absolutely impossible to achieve and it makes me so stressed and depressed. I get distressed when I can't see things through to conclusion and have to keep 5000 ill-defined balls in the air. Every day is chaotic and unstructured, always falling apart when I attempt to put a shape on things. I feel like I have no control over anything, most of all the people I am trying to work with which frustrates me no end. Unlike some who like challenges and problems to solve at work I just want to throw in the towel. If I can't do a job well I don't want to do it all. Grade A burn out!

Jenn,

I know just how you feel. I dread getting up and going to work but I'm better once I get there. I cant wait to get home to my solitude and my bed at the end of every day. This is no way to live.....

I'm an Operations Supervisor for a major 24/7 ambulance company. We handle everything from intaking emergency and non emergency calls, dispatching the calls, state/department of health regulations, scheduling, triaging call priorities, maintaining our ambulance fleet, and every other aspect of work involving the employees. We write our own policies, do our scheduling, etc etc etc. Its an extremely stressful job with too many decisions to be made on a minute to minute basis. Its our job to not only worry about the patients we get called for but to make sure our employees get safely home at the end of every shift. Our days are often 5x/week usually 12ish hours a day. Thats not to mention we are "on call" off hours, on a rotating basis, for emergencies. I also am in the middle of a full-time Masters program...which can sometimes feel like a 2nd full-time job.

Depression, for me, has definitely impacted my job. I find myself not wanting to go to work..not being able to handle it most days. Decision making? Don't ask. I've 'frozen' in a number of situations where I didn't have time to freeze because the overwhelming sense of every corner of the room closing in has just been too much. I constantly cry or am at the verge of crying. I avoid people, though often not very feasible, at all costs. I also find myself very short and irritable with just about everything and everything at work. Being able to run home and get into bed is the one solace at the end of the day. As for school...well, I technically am enrolled but frankly haven't touched it in over a month. The thought of sitting down and doing my papers is just too much. I'd rather be in bed and left alone. its definitely a dark and deep hole.

agree with Kate and Jenn above. I have a top-of-the-line job (a 1%-er) but the business has been faltering for the past few years. I haven't elaborated on this to anyone but my wife and maybe my sister, but what was super tough for my psychologically was simply losing income. I couldn't and can't appreciate "how good I have it" compared to others. My income is huge, still, compared to most, but it's about 65% of what it used to be and that has been a bitter and anxiety/depression inducing pill. In my state, I don't enjoy my job, i'm not as good at it, and i'm not as good at anything- sex, conversation, parenting, you name it. My "healthy" mental state is different as I have no difficulty doing my job and I don't even relate to it as either boring or exciting or irritating or splendid. When I'm depressed and anxious, as I've been for a while now, I find simply charging my cell phone a herculean task. It's no way to live, as Kate put it. Argh.

Jenn,

I know just how you feel. I dread getting up and going to work but I'm better once I get there. I cant wait to get home to my solitude and my bed at the end of every day. This is no way to live........well, I technically am enrolled but frankly haven't touched it in over a month. The thought of sitting down and doing my papers is just too much. I'd rather be in bed and left alone. its definitely a dark and deep hole.

I myself have worked online for various companies through the years. If anyone has a hard time going out of the house for work I do know of a writing job with a company that is very fair. It takes time to build up your pages, but the woman who owns it is very nice and offers bonuses every month. I wish I had the ability to write, but my sentence structure etc is not good. I will give the link in case anyone would like to look into it. There are no set hours so it may work out for someone. You can contact her here with any questions you may have. http://www.lmeguides.com/careers/

I work in a medical related office- I'm vague to hide my identity. It is pretty frickin funny since I work with people/ patients and am a happy worker. A patient killed herself. We were all shocked. We had no idea she suffered from depression. It was after that I decided I'd better get help. Now when I say "fine" or a patient says it I really wonder how many people are NOT FINE. Work is my refuge. No time for my brain to wander, focus on the job and my purpose.

I work in a medical related office- I'm vague to hide my identity. It is pretty frickin funny since I work with people/ patients and am a happy worker. A patient killed herself. We were all shocked. We had no idea she suffered from depression. It was after that I decided I'd better get help. Now when I say "fine" or a patient says it I really wonder how many people are NOT FINE. Work is my refuge. No time for my brain to wander, focus on the job and my purpose.

almostbroken

I always say fine, even after 5 coronary stents. Sometimes I'm not so fine but i am stuck with the same lie.