Sign in to follow this  
lizard

Positive stories about Wellbutrin

Seems silly responding when this thread is rather inactive but since taking Wellbutrin last night before bed, I wanted to update those that may also have to try this based on exhaustion after taking it. I took 10 mg of Melatonin just in case it kept me up. I was able to fall asleep about 2 hrs after taking the Wellbutrin. I noticed that my heart was pounding faster than usual afte tr taking it and I felt irritable so really the best option was to lie down and try to sleep. I think the melatonin helped but the Wellbutrin clearly wasnt stimulating as I slept for 8 hrs and woke up at a reasonable time. Today I did feel rather irritable and not energized. I also cried for no reason today and did not get much done around the house, which of course was frustrating. I actually felt much better all day yesterday having not taken the Wellbutrin in the morning. It was literally like a breath of fresh air and I feel like today I am playing catch up because of the delayed time in taking Wellbutrin yesterday. I will give this about a 1-1.5 more and after that, I am going to try to transition to something else if I do not see an improvement. I do not feel as constipated, which is nice but I still feel tired and irritable. Again, trying to be hopeful/ 

Hello, I first posted back in November of 2015.  At the time I also thought this post was kind of inactive. I was encourage by all the comments years before my post. I take Wellbutrin 150XL first thing in the morning. When I first started taking it I had all the side effects: heart palpitations, hard time falling asleep, constipation, migraines, I felt like why should I bother. But do not give up on it.  It was 4 to 5 weeks before I really noticed changes. They do mellow out, headaches are gone. I have been feeling well. The depression is not there. I have always had OCD tendencies and those while still there are not debilitating. I just don't let things really get to me any longer, and I'm aware of my tendencies without them affecting me.  So, although I am not one of those people with a happy go lucky attitude, I know I'm better with Wellbutrin than without it. Everyone is different, I hope my post helps.

Hi! Thanks for the update. I dont get a burst in energy after taking it so I take it at night, but trying to figure out when at night. It made me pretty restless every 2 hrs but I would fall back to sleep. Did you feel tired or just normal rather than energized after taking it when you were 5 weeks in? Also, has the constipation subsided? And are you on any other meds? I am happy that your OCD has quieted down. I havent found its helped with anxiety about work and difficult ans stressful interactions working with the public. It has however started to relieve anxiety and worry in the form of OCD. I was diagnosed with GAD but also likely ADD. I plan on getting properly assessed for this too. 

I'm a life long depression sufferer. For most of my life I went without any meds and just dealt with my issues alone. About 5 years ago I finally decided to try some medication and my doctor put me on Citalipram. It worked great, for my depression and it relieved anxiety  but the sexual side effects were too much for me. So after a couple of years I weaned myself off of that and tried to go without any meds again. After about 9 months I decided that I needed to try something else. My doctor recommended Wellbutrin (buproprion) because of the lack of sexual side effects. Because of the outrageous cost of name brand wellbutrin ($1000/month) I went on a generic. After about 8 weeks I really hadn't noticed any difference in my mood and my anxiety level may have actually been higher. It did act as a good appetite suppressor though, and I lost some weight. I started reading online about the various manufacturers of bupropion and how some people get better results with certain brands. So I called my pharmacy and asked if I could try a different manufacturer - I had previously been taking 150mg XL made by Par Pharm, my pharmacy then switched me to 150XL from Mylan. The first day I took the Mylan I felt better, and I've felt better for the past two weeks on it. The Mylan pills may not suppress my appetite as much as the Pharm, but it definitely treats my depression and anxiety. I don't get a "high" off it, but it just keeps me from getting too low. And, no sexual side effects. My pharmacist said they can setup my prescription so that it automatically order Mylan every month, so that is what I plan to do.

So, if your taking bupropion and it hasn't worked for you yet don't be afraid to try a different manufacturer, it could make all the difference.

Don't give up!

Hi there,

been on Wellbutrin 150mg for a week now. There may be an ever so slight improvement. I haven't been able to get out of bed for three weeks now. Yesterday 

I was able to get dressed and attend a meeting and the day before I forced myself to go to a spa for the day in preparation for the big meeting. All went well and today I just crashed. Feeling so so sad, my head is so fuzzy. This feeling is just horrible. I can't live like this. I want to feel happy and have my will back again.  I have not trained now for 5 weeks. For someone who trained everyday, eats organically trains for half marathons and leads a busy work life and social life - to this....I really would love to hear from those who too have experienced the same.   I want to know that when you hit rock bottom that there is that rebirth. I feel that my soul has died and is fighting the biggest struggle of its life.  That you do and can come back fighting stronger, fitter, healthier and can still achieve all your dreams.  Would LOVe to hear those motivational / success stories :) xxx

Hi Pinkyrose

I hate hear that you're struggling. I recently posted about my experience with generic wellbutrin. After I switched manufacturers I've been feeling much better. I went from being severely depressed and anxious to feeling pretty darn good. I'm back to being active and just getting on with my life again.

It may take several weeks until the wellbutrin starts working, up to 8 weeks I believe. But don't give up, you will get back to feeling happy.

Take care.

Pinkyrose- ask your doctor if you should move to 300? For me there was a significant difference between the two doses.

My bupropion story:

I ended up in a job at a certain pretentiously grungy shoe store at the mall. as a manager I *had* to work 80 hours a week on S*%# pay. the workload plus moving out and living alone plus a lot of little things meant big time depression. sleeping for 14+ hours a day. if not sleeping, laying in bed doing nothing. no motivation. no libido. nada. emptiness. you know the feeling, I think.

I finally decided It was time for help. This was a big deal for me. my family and I are low-key hippies, so we only eat organic, use oils and body code therapies, and my sister even does the crystal thing. For me to ask for chemicals to put into my body and change my brain chemistry on purpose was kind of out of character. My parents were supportive though, my mom's sister is bipolar so she understands that sometimes 'real' medicine is necessary. I started on Bupropion XL. My doctor told me to start at 150 and then after a week to move up to 300.

The initial side effects were weird- I felt like I was on a constant mega caffeine rush, couldn't sleep, couldn't stop cleaning, did SO MUCH YOGA, for a couple weeks. Then I got this weird euphoria, then that wore off and I was just high strung and energized all the time. (I know this doesn't sound great but it gets better. it's a positive story). Told my doctor about the mania a little while later and she told me to reduce the dose- that my brain and epinephrine receptors or whatever just needed a kick start, and if I reduced the dose I could feel better without as much help from pills. so I tapered off and I've been on 150 again since then, which has just been grand. It's not perfect, but I'm functional and not self-harming and sleeping normally and overall being a productive member of society.

My doctor also told me that because the half-life of the medication is only 21 hours, that the dosage is pretty customizable. I'd want to consult on any super major changes, but since I have SAD I could feel free to up my dosage again in the winter if I felt I needed to and wouldn't necessarily need physician's approval. She want's me to keep her in the loop of course, so she knows what prescription to write me every 90 days, but it's pretty chill. The hardest part was the withdrawal when I reduced my dose (but I'm convinced that I'm just really super freakin' lucky and get ALL the side effects of EVERYTHING).

I honestly probably could feel better on another medication, but as far as effectiveness vs. side effects, bupropion worked great for me. I tried Prozac a little while ago and the anxiety, upset stomach, vertigo, destructive and eventually suicidal thought patterns just weren't worth waiting for whatever good was supposed to happen freakin' eight weeks later.

The one piece of advise I can give is to hang in there. I personally know that the waiting is the hardest part. When the Drs tell you it won't be working it's best for 6-8 weeks it can seem like forever. I'm at week 7 and yes it is finally working the way it should. Nearly all side effect are gone that I had in the beginning.

I'm heading in to week 5 and I'm curious, was increased depression a side effect that you had that went away by week 7?

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm so happy to hear that you have turned the corner! PG you only continue forward and that your life is fulfilled for today and always.

I have really been battling - week 5. My heart is empty I feel just desolate. I can't stop crying. This is the very worst place I have ever been in. I just don't want to be here. I know I have 5 weeks behind me and I'm hoping and praying the switch flips any day now. One of the side effects of Wellbutrin is constipation, this is just bothering me so much. I take so much for this and NOTHING has helped.  For as long as one conures on this drug that will always be a problem?  My Psych thinks I should change to brentellix?  How can I know go through all the side effects of this now. For them it's honestly hit and miss, 

I just need to hang in and just hope and pray.....

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to respond.

just one thing do you think that wellbutrin works by first

It making you feel very very bad to then the upward flip?

I'm thinking and hoping it makes you feel really shocking

before getting better?  Iv never ever felt this low, been on Wellbutrin 5,weeks now

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to respond.

just one thing do you think that wellbutrin works by first

It making you feel very very bad to then the upward flip?

I'm thinking and hoping it makes you feel really shocking

before getting better?  Iv never ever felt this low, been on Wellbutrin 5,weeks now

Pinky, I'm right there with you. Week 4 started last Tuesday and I've never felt worst in my entire life. I get so down and my mind starts thinking about things that I forgot about 10+ years ago and it's haunting me again now. But then I'll have these moments of feeling like my old happy self again. Where I love everyone and want to help people instead of sitting around feeling down and out. Those moments of joy keep me wanting to try this a couple of more weeks. I've seen moments of light so bright that it keeps me holding on for hope that Wellbutrin will help.

JB, seems like you are within reach of the light :) that is fantastic! I have not had those moments.   PG it comes about soon. So often I have felt this is just not worth it. It's such a scary place to be. Inhale not even been able to get back into training. I have not trained now for 6 weeks!  Going to try walking tomorrow morning and gradually build myself back up. 

JB best of luck to you. Here's to only good news :) 

On 4/30/2017 at 0:15 AM, PinkyROSE said:

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm so happy to hear that you have turned the corner! PG you only continue forward and that your life is fulfilled for today and always.

I have really been battling - week 5. My heart is empty I feel just desolate. I can't stop crying. This is the very worst place I have ever been in. I just don't want to be here. I know I have 5 weeks behind me and I'm hoping and praying the switch flips any day now. One of the side effects of Wellbutrin is constipation, this is just bothering me so much. I take so much for this and NOTHING has helped.  For as long as one conures on this drug that will always be a problem?  My Psych thinks I should change to brentellix?  How can I know go through all the side effects of this now. For them it's honestly hit and miss, 

I just need to hang in and just hope and pray.....

My god it sounds like me to the "T".  Crying, sadness, depression.  What the heck?  I thought it would help not hurt.  It's probably the worst depression I have felt in 20 years.  I was on Zoloft for last 9 years.  Doctor prescribed Cymbalta, could not tolerate constipation, then Lexapro (sexual side effects) then Wellbutrin.  Is there any medication that can help me with severe depression?  How severe are side effects?

Edited by emare411
spelling

Hi Emare

Whilst on both brintellix and Wellbutrin, both with shocking side effects and not helping at all my psych wanted to ween me off both and added VenloR. I have just weened myself off both and for 2days now only been on the Venlor and still feeling shocking.  In the meanwhile I have since visited with the very best homeopath. I truly believe the alternate way is something to look into. . They have to be the very best. Checked my hormones, adrenal, lymphatic system and tweaked a lot. I also went to a chiropractor who aligned my spine.  There is a study and trials now taking place at PENN state university where they say 50% of depression patients do not respond to psychiatric medication. PENN are now looking at alternate ways. 50% is massive!!  It's worth visiting their website. 

Good luck I truly hope we find the answer to our prayers, it enough!

Hi Tom

I don't think it can cure it but i do think it can ease it together with a healthy lifestyle, eating clean, exercising, running, yoga.. I am so desperate to find something. These meds are just destroying me. In my previous message I said 50% of patients don't respond to psychiatric medication It's meant to be 15%, that too is a high percentage. I also think positive forums are a great tool.  One needs a great support team. I am so very off these psychiatrists, they don't care and honestly anyone can do their job - just prescribe. As for psychologists they too are a complete waste of time - just write and say "I understand how you feel" what garbage! Unless they have gone through depression how can they understand how I feel.  We as patients, I believe really have to be fully in control of what our bodies and brains can tolerate and be extremely careful of the drugs prescribed and not be sucked into this trial and error philosophy because it all starts to compound and never allows one to get off this crazy roller coaster ride.

I've been on Wellbutrin XL for two months now. I haven't experienced any suicidal thoughts since two weeks after I started. My temperament seems to stay reasonably level. The dark points of my depression have eased up. Going to Mass daily helps too and I haven't missed a day since a vacation over a month ago. Therapy, as far as I can tell is a waste of time,  but I promised my wife I'd stick with it. Sometimes I feel anxious still, but it eventually goes away. I have therapy tomorrow and meet with my primary care doc in two weeks. Sleep has been a problem, but only because my insurance company controls how much ambien I'm allowed to have. I'm forced to use over the counter sleep aids that I despise. 

Physically my pain hasn't been too bad. My pain management doc wants to try nerve blocks instead of the cortisone facet injections. I think I'll call next week to schedule those.

Does anybody understand the topic of this thread? Wellbutrin success stories, I'm left to think that the people that are really helped are too busy living their lives to post their story. Please can anyone who is happy with wellbutrin, POST. I'm sorry to sound unfeeling but I want to hear from people who have been helped on this particular med.

I posted a few months ago about my experience with bupropion (generic wellbutrin) and how it was going well. Unfortunately it took a bad turn. Due to a manufacturers shortage I was forced by my pharmacy to switch to a different producer of the generic wellbutrin. The first day that I took the pill from this new manufacturer I had a melt down - I cried all day long, my wife found me on the floor of our closet sobbing uncontrollably. She called the doctor and they didn't have much to say, other than "give it few days and see how it goes". That was almost 3 months ago and it was the last time that I took wellbutrin. Since then I've changed my approach completely - no more precription meds. I had my doctor run a blood test on me and it showed low levels of vitamins B & D so I started supplements of those. In addition I've been eating healthier (cut out fast food, eating lots of whole foods, nuts, fruits, etc) and I've been feeling pretty darn good. Not perfect, but better than I ever felt on wellbutrin. I also started reading a book called the Depression Cure - it talks about the lack of social support that we have these days (too much isolation) our poor diets, lack of exercise etc. It all makes sense. So, rather than trying to treat the symptoms of my depression with a precription pill (with side effects) I'm going after the root cause - getting the right nutrients, exercising, all of the stuff that modern America is focused against. 

This may not work for everyone, but so far this has worked well for me. I have to believe that our poor lifestyles today are a factor in the growing number of anxiety and depression cases in this country and the western world.

Good luck to you all!

Hello  I started 150mg Of Wellbutrin XL 4 days ago. I also take Lexapro 30mg,Lamitcal 150mg Klonopin 1mg 2X a day . I have been on those 3 meds for about 6 yrs. 3 months ago I slipped into another Major  Depression. at first my DR added Abilify which made no difference to my depression. So now trying the Wellbutrin and so far so good. No side effects yet and some relief from depression. I get a low mood swing 1 or 2 times a yrs for many years.4 yrs ago I had 1 so bad I was in our hospitals mental health unit for a month and received 6 electro shock treatments. That helped along with starting the Klonopin for anxiety disorder. I will update after I have been on the Welbutrin longer. This positive thread has already been a big help to me.

I spent most of my 20's as a regular illegal drug user and drinker. I have struggled with pretty severe anxiety and depression since I was a teen due to some traumatic life experinces. I used these substances to self medicate. My doctor suggested some sort of medication to help. I researched and I was initially attracted to Wellbutrin because of the lack of sexual side effects and weight gain issues that are normally associated with ssri's. I began taking Wellbutrin 2.5 months ago and I can honestly say it has changed my life. I started on 150mg of bupropion xl. The first day I took it I felt a bit tense and a little jittery. The second day I felt euphoria. I remember thinking "Wow is this what people normal feel like?". This went away on the third day. In the next couple weeks I didn't notice much other than a strange fuzziness in my eyes. It's hard to explain but it almost felt cloudy or like a very slight vibration. This went away after a few weeks. Over the first month I calorie counted to lose 15 lbs. Normally dieting would cause me some sort of emotional stress  and I would give up and binge or drink too much. During this time I did not notice any help with my anxiety but clearly my mood was elevated enough that I was able to stick to something that would normally cause me emotional distress. Month two I switch to 300mg. This is where I really started to notice a difference. I normally have anxiety tics that cause me to twitch or make certain sounds. I would say they were reduced by about 50%. Also, my cravings for any other substances was greatly reduced. I hadn't touched illegal drug in a couple months by that point. Even my regular triggers can not sway me. I stayed adament against using even under heavy peer pressure on many occasions. By 2.5 months I have lost over 25lbs through calorie counting. I am going weeks at a time without a drink and still have no cravings for other drugs. Even illegal drug which I have smoked regularly for over 15 years. I know Wellbutrin is marketed as a smoking cessation but I truely think this medication has potential for addiction problems far beyond smoking. I had no intention when I started this drug that I was going to quit any of those things but it has been a very pleasant side effect. My doctor informed me that medications tend to deal with depression first at lower doses and anxiety relief often comes at higher doses so I may up my dose in March after my winter vacationing in order to deal with the lingering anxiety. The only lasting side effect  for me has been consitpation. I am trying various things  to relieve this but so far I will just  take a senna tablet every few days if I am desperate. Hoping to find a gentler  solution in the future. This drug has proved  to be valuable far beyond my initial intentions. If anyone struggles with some of the issues I have had I certainly think it's worth talking to your doctor about.

Ok after reading many of these i realize we need some positivity. I’m only at week 4 right now but I definitely have noticed a difference. I was soooo irritable, took everything personally, cried all the time and fought with my partner about anything because I was so irritable. Anyway I definitely seem more mellow, I know that I am. It’s great for someone who has been suffering from anxiety and depression for so long. I’ve been in therapy for the last 7 years and as much as that’s helped I knew I needed to try something else. Starting Wellbutrin makes me feel like I can be my old self again, eventually. It’s still hard for me to start exercising but I know I will feel more motivated soon. I don’t argue with my partner, maybe once a week and i can actually get past it and not hold on. Honestly we fought allllll the time and they got pretty bad. I can actually speak to partner and have normal conversations instead of discussing what’s wrong with everything. It has also cleared some of that fog that anxiety gave me, meaning because I’m so focused on everything going wrong I never had time to think about things that are more important. Now that some of that fluff has moved away I get to talk about things that are actually important and see things for what they are and not how I paint them. I did cry a lot this past weekend. But I was able to pull myself out of it pretty quickly, which would have never happened before. I’d love to update as I’m further along but so far the positives outway any of the side effects I may be dealing with (aka, insomnia, constipation, rapid heartbeat sometimes, suppressed appetite and headaches- I’m hoping most of these will subside over time) 

sending love and light to everyone. This is not an easy battle for anyone and we are literally fighting for our lives. Keep going, it’s worth it to take care of ourselves for ourselves. 

Edited by MCMCMC

Hi. I have been taking Wellburtrin 150 XL for a little over a week, and have been experiencing Jaw soreness and pain. I find myself clenching during the daytime and it is likely happening during the night time as well. 

I started on Prozac as my first attempt at Depression medication, and noticed after around a week, that I was having very rough jaw pain and soreness. I have since been off prozac for 9 days, and started on the wellbutrin the next morning after stopping prozac at the suggestion of my Psychiatrist...however these side effects have lingered. 

Has anyone else heard of Jaw clenching as a side effect for Wellbutrin, and if so, does it subside after a while on the medication?

Side Note: I have never had Jaw pain or clenching before. 

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. 

Hello to all. I'm very grateful to those of you who posted about your experiences with Wellbutrin. I was on sertraline (the generic version of Zoloft) for about 20 years before I switched to Wellbutrin a couple of weeks ago. When I made the switch, I was already depressed because the sertraline no longer seemed to work for me, even after I tripled the dosage at my my doctor's suggestion. Since I stopped sertraline and switched to Wellbutrin, I've been feeling even more depressed and anxious, as well as incredibly tearful - which is new for me. But I guess my depression and anxiety are still relatively mild, because even tho' I feel crummy, I am able to continue going about my business (such as it is) and to meet my commitments.

Still, I long to lose the feelings of depression and fear that seem to have lodged themselves in my thoughts and in my gut (my stomach is in knots all the time, now). I tend to blame myself for having these negative feelings, instead of remembering that I am powerless over my emotions.

I am on Lexapro and just started supplementing it with Wellbutrin XL, today was my 7th day. No significant mood changes yet, I'm hopeful I'll see some in the next week, we shall see.

Negative side effects have been minimal to non-existent. Perhaps a little harder to sleep because of not being tired at night, and very slightly wired at times like when you have a little too much caffeine.

Positive effects have been more energy and less fatigue.