Sign in to follow this  
lizard

Positive stories about Wellbutrin

Hi I'm new to this so pls excuse me if I'm hopping in middle of anything. I saw Wellbutrin & wanted to find out if it is a good rx to take for me. I see my dr. tomorrow & want to have an idea of what to ask her in terms of which rx to take for my depression. I've been feeling total lack of motivation, sad, not wanting to go anywhere or do anything w/people. Don't want to do fun things that I used to enjoy BUT NO LONGER ENJOY. This SEEMS like depression to me, that's why I looked up Depression on my computer & found this site. Am hoping to find out how I can help myself & didn't really want to take any pills feeling they wouldn't help anyway. I DID hear that Wellbutrin was a good choice to help w/lack of motivation, sadness & loss of interest in life activities. That's why aim checking into this forum as I didn't know where to go for good info! Thank u!!!

Hi Rosie409 – IMO from personal experience and from working with psychiatric patients as an RN, I would say that with depression, one size does not fit all. It’s a tough disease. I personally would probably not jump at wellbutrin at first, especially if I was a young person and wanted to continue to consume alcohol. You have to discuss that with your practitioner. It’s also a pretty heavy duty drug, but those of us that are difficult to treat; it’s worth the side effects. There are many options. SSRI's are usually tried first. "Pills" definitely help and the symptoms you describe sound quite familiar to most all of us. It’s a struggle, but its worth fighting. Good luck.

I started wellbutrin xL 150 three days ago, I was wanting to go up to 300 for a regular dosage how soon after starting should I up my dose? Doctor said to come back in 3 weeks but everything I read says up dose in 4 days. Would love some advice!

Thanks guys :)

If anyone is reading this, please help me. Please

I am on my 5th day of 300 mg bupropion XL.

I also take 30 mg of generic Adderall, which I have been taking for 16 months.

The first few days I felt no differently.

Today, as well as yesterday, I have suffered extreme episodes of a very deep, dark, consuming depression. It is the worst at night. Tears stream constantly.

I have never felt this depressed in my life. I want to sleep forever, but have trouble falling asleep.

Sometimes I just sit, spaced out, unsure of what I want to do next.

Nothing interests me. I am able to act relatively "normal" around my family, but it is painful.

Should I request to decrease my dosage to 150mg? Is that safe? My doctor put me on 300 immediately as opposed to the 150 for a week regimen.

I cannot go on for another week feeling this way. It has decreased my will to live almost completely.

I'm afraid to quit the medication at this point, but also afraid to continue.

I started wellbutrin xL 150 three days ago, I was wanting to go up to 300 for a regular dosage how soon after starting should I up my dose? Doctor said to come back in 3 weeks but everything I read says up dose in 4 days. Would love some advice!

Thanks guys :)

A year ago, I was prescribed 150mg that I was to increase to 300mg in ~4 days like you mentioned. I gave up on them and quit them after 3 days because I wasn't feeling any differently. I also just didn't have the patience to wait weeks for it to take effect (I was newly diagnosed/ thought my depression was manageable at that time and I was pretty cavalier about it in general).

Though your doctor's route is conservative, I would strongly strongly suggest following it.This past Thursday, a new doctor prescribed me the 300mg XL dose to begin immediately. After five days of absolute misery...literal hell...it finally dawned on me that I should research... it seems that 300mg is bad news more often than not, especially in the first months. And especially for those who have never taken anti-depressants. I cannot even describe the mental anguish I'm feeling...it's almost otherworldly. The worst I have ever felt in my life. I would give anything to have taken 150mg these past days. I would stick with that dosage as long as possible.

I hope this helps

Ok, I've been on Wellbutrin since Oct. 6, not that long & I don't feel any differently. Still lack of motivation & depressed to point of being in bed, doing nothing most of day. Will see my Dr. 1st wk of Nov. so she can check my "progress" & increase to 300 if she feels it may help. I'm just not feeling it work yet so am hoping it will SOON! Will let u know IF & WHEN I notice any difference!

Earwaxer..., I just read what u wrote & it sounds like what I did! I was on Wellbutrin for several yrs doing good on it.. Then I saw/heard a natural health practitioner say how bad these drugs were for us so I tried natural stuff like St. John's wort & SAM-e. Well, they did NOT work for ME! That's why I went back to my Dr to let her know I guess I'm one that really NEEDS an anti-depressant! Just am hoping it starts soon as I need to feel better to help my family who have health problems of their own!

Well i did for 4 years good on wellbultrin 150' but 2 weeks ago their was a change. My mood was going down lost interest and i feel more disconnected with they word. So my doc says we do a bloodtest to see what mirror there is.

Someone did a blood check. And soneone had that starts almost over?

i got bumped up to 200mg SR after being on 150mg XL for about 8 weeks (the 150mg XL stopped working). Started the 200mg exactly 19 days ago and I had to endure the same horrible start up side effects yet again. Today is the first day I feel pleasant. Will update in a few weeks or so.

just an update. i've tapered off Wellbutrin after realizing it was doing nothing. it worked wonderfully for about a week (30 days in), but i never got that pleasant feeling back even after increasing to 200mg. currently only taking adderall and klono as needed. the addy is probably the best drug i've ever taken for depression, but i'm only taking it once a week or so b/c i don't want to build up a tolerance. it pretty much obliterates my depression for the 4-5 hours it lasts.

i wish you guys luck.

Edited by Anonn

When I first took 150mg of WB in July, I felt extremely anxious but less depressed. Then the low mood came back in September, some days better and some days worse. My pdoc did a bloodtest to check the level of bupripion in the blood. He saw that the level was still in the low range, so he has upped the dose to 300mg since three weeks and I feel so much better. My mood is more stable and my negative thoughts have pretty much vanished. The first few days I felt hyper, wound-up, and restless but then that went away. Altogether I feel more calm and less anxious. My thoughts about suicide just stopped! In my country, there are only tablets with the dosages of 150mg or 300mg (extended release). Nothing else is available, so I had to go up to 300mg. But so far, it has worked! I need 7.5mg of mirtazapine (Remeron) in order to sleep, then I feel extremely drowsy in the mornings, but still I think it is worth it.

In a way it is strange to feel better, like this isn't me. My pdoc says I just have to get used to it and that I shouldn't expect myself to function fully yet, just because my mood is better. My concentration is still off and he said it might take up to 6 months to fully come back.

By the way, it seems odd to up the dose to 300mg after only 4 days, especially since the initial dose of 150mg might be enough and you can't really tell until after 4 weeks. Many people take only 150mg, as far as I know. Please ask your doctor!

I have been on Wellbutrin (generic bupropion) for about 3 months now and I feel it has been a huge help for me. I had real deep depression, had been diagnosed back in 2004 but lack of insurance and job changes made it difficult for me to keep on any medication. The last couple of years were really difficult and I finally got affordable insurance and able to see a psychiatrist regularly.

I take the 150 SR and a buspirone (Buspar) once a day to handle anxiety. SSRI drugs did little but knock me out and unable to work a full day without crashing. Wellbutrin has had few side effects and I feel brighter and more energetic. I have the energy and concentration to get things done and even taking care of things I have let slide way too long. My life is in better order.

Still have lots of issues to deal with and get blue occasionally. My emotions are more normal, I can get sad over things I am supposed to be sad about and do not despair over nothing like I used to.

I also have 20 months sober from alcohol which has been a huge help.

So far I am "sold" on wellbutrin; zoloft, paxil and celexa did not help.

I have been on Wellbutrin (generic bupropion) for about 3 months now and I feel it has been a huge help for me. I had real deep depression, had been diagnosed back in 2004 but lack of insurance and job changes made it difficult for me to keep on any medication. The last couple of years were really difficult and I finally got affordable insurance and able to see a psychiatrist regularly.

I take the 150 SR and a buspirone (Buspar) once a day to handle anxiety. SSRI drugs did little but knock me out and unable to work a full day without crashing. Wellbutrin has had few side effects and I feel brighter and more energetic. I have the energy and concentration to get things done and even taking care of things I have let slide way too long. My life is in better order.

Still have lots of issues to deal with and get blue occasionally. My emotions are more normal, I can get sad over things I am supposed to be sad about and do not despair over nothing like I used to.

I also have 20 months sober from alcohol which has been a huge help.

So far I am "sold" on wellbutrin; zoloft, paxil and celexa did not help.

It's good to hear that you're doing well on bupropion. Me too. And congratulations on your 20 months sobriety!

Thanks Dolphin!

My psychiatrist gave me 300 mg sample and asked me to try them. I noticed little difference in mood but a noticeable increase in the tinnitus in my left ear. That can be a side effect of bupropion so I went back to the 150. The buspirone makes me a bit dizzy after taking it, but it is transitory. I can handle that better than the 24/7 feeling of despair, suicidal thoughts and planning and total lack of motivation.

Edited by Donaldopato

Hi all,

I've been on Wellbutrin SR 15- 2x a day.

I was Originally on paxil, but that didn't like the sexual side effects

The original motivation for me was to overcome the side effects of paxil, which caused me anorgasmia (not good, esp as I was recently married.) It completely reversed those side effects. My wife says my moods have improved as well. I feel better as well.

I just started Wellbutrin two days ago. I'm currently taking 150mg once a day and starting tomorrow I'm supposed to start taking 300mg daily..So far, I don't feel any changes except for waking up way earlier than I would like to. But it's only been a few days so hopefully that will change. This thread gives me hope that it will get better...in time..

Edited by deja_blue

I was in desperate straights this fall. Prozac had finally completely pooped out. Tried several meds and hated them. I'm on 150XL Welbutrin for a month now. I noticed it working very quickly. It pulled me out of that hell, sleeping all day and night, and panic attacks. I'd say it's given me 50% of what I need. I can't tolerate a higher dose and wouldn't even try it.

That weird side affect where you feel like your skin is burning and itching is gone. I need to be careful with anything like coffee that raises the heart rate. I also need to take a tiny amount of seroquel to sleep and that stuff knocks the bleep out of me. I tend to get very racy and cracked out and I take 2 days off. Dr. Said i could go to 100mg SR.

So overall I am pleased and willing to work with this, perhaps add something else. It beats the alternative. I'm trying to get out of the cold and get to a hot sunny climate. This med will get me through until I can get exercising, get to a sunny place, and I can take a small dose of something to keep the depression away.

STAY with it!

It took SEVEN WEEKS to the day for my side effects to diminish and positive effects to start.

I am on bupropion 300mg XL once a day, I had the honeymoon period for a week, then six weeks of pure hell!

It made me a super irritable Biotch to everyone, made my depression worse, crawling out of my skin, misery!

I was just about to throw the towel in and quit when all of the sudden I had a wonderful hour (yes,hour) of a sense of happiness and well being.

The next day , it was a couple hours, and now it is almost the whole day.

I sleep great, get up early to exercise, walk the dog, go to work all day, come home and make dinner, and hang out with my family:

Before, I would have stayed in bed all day staring at the wall. I could barely make it to work, I would make dinner only to go right back to bed or couch.

I'm telling you, hold on, it will get better, this medication works!

The first day I took it it made me really tired and groggy. I had started off on 100 milligrams Sr.. I had panic attacks and increased anxiety with pretty bad insomnia for about 3 weeks.. But ativan really helped a lot with that. Other side effects were: increased sweating, no appetite(lost 15 pounds :)) vivid dreams and mild irritability. The side effects lasted about 2 months the last one to go was increased sweating. One really strange side effect that i had was increased sex drive.. it was REALLY bad. i di discovered some new things lol. I took it slow it took me 6 months to get up to 300 milligrams and then I switched to extended release which I find a lot better. I also switch from generic to brand name and it actually did help a lot the generic had my mood going up and down and as soon as I switch to the brand name it was much more consistent and felt a lot smoother. I started to feel positive effects from the a hundred and fifty milligrams about a month in. It would feel good for a while and then the medication would poop out until I went up in dose and then I would feel better again for a while then it would poop out again. But when I went up to 300 milligrams switch to extended release and brand name it never pooped out again and I have been on it for a year with no issues. For me it has not cured my depression I am still depressed but it has taken me out of a very dark dangerous place in my life. I have no side effects anymore. My advice would be to get some anti-anxiety medication along with it and avoid drinking caffeine until you no longer feel side effects. Try to get the brand name if you can and in my opinion extended-release is much better than a sr.

hey Around we go,

thank you for posting that. it was what i needed to hear. i've been having a really hard time with this. i started Wellbutrin SR on March 1st. for three days i was in heaven. i felt like i haven't felt since i was a young man (i'm 57), full of hope and confidence. i had so much energy and i felt good about myself, which is so foreign to me.

i didn't know about the honeymoon phase. or any phase. it passed and i was disappointed, of course. i felt ok, but saw my interest and energy slipping. i still felt that surging amphetamine feeling but no improvement in my self. my doctor had said to go one week at 150mg and then 150 twice a day. i waited 10 days instead because i felt so amped up on 150.

the first day i took 300 i took the pills only 1 1/2 hours apart. i didn't look at the label and just assumed you could take it at once. i had a horrible night of anxiety, rage and dark depression etc. i almost went to the ER because i didn't know what was happening to me. that's when i finally did the research i should have done on the first day. it's just that my doctor was so cavalier about it and didn't warn me that this could happen. it helped to read this thread and others so i know what's going on, but it doesn't help the feelings. today has been excruciating. i'ver been in a fog, and so deeply unhappy and hopeless, sapped of energy. much self loathing also.

it has been 18 days since my first 150mg. i now space the doses at least 8 hours apart. i'm handling it physically but mentally i'm as bad as i've ever been. so gloomy and scared of the world and wishing i didn't have to go on with life. i'm so afraid it will stay this way and that Wellbutrin won't help me. if i thought i was going to be well and satisfied, i would go through this period, but i don't have faith it will get better.

anyway, your post has helped me get through this night. i'm going to try to go the full 8 weeks. i don't mind waiting to feel better but i can't stand the funk it has put me in. i'm praying these are side effects and will subside. thank you for sharing your experience.

Well, I was on Wellbutrin for several years and then out of the blue, began experiencing severe brain fog, memory loss and confusion. I really, really thought I was experiencing an early dementia. When I finally concluded that it was the Wellbutrin, I swore I would never, ever consider taking it again and would suffer depression instead. Most other ADs wiped out my libido and produced severe sexual dysfunction which caused much marital discord. Now, I'm once again thinking of going back since my AD of the last 4-5 years(Nefazodone) isn't doing a whole lot for me. Has anyone else experienced this? Suggestions? Is it dose dependent?

The issue of sleep and Welbutrin is interesting. My GP switched me to it from Zoloft, partly because I was complaining of daytime sleepiness. He said that Welbutrin may contribute to sleeplessness, and that I should take it as early in my waking hours as possible so that it did not disrupt nighttime sleep. I've found that to be good advice. Taking naps during the day can be a challenge, even when my body is telling me I need one.

One thing I have become sensitive to is the need for, and benefits of sleep. The ability to keep to a workout schedule, not feel depressed or needing to drink, are helped tremendously by me getting a good quality, 7-8 hours minimum sleep per night. My body clearly demands it, and I obey! Happily, I rarely need to nap during the day if I get a complete night's rest.

It seems reasonable to assume you're going to experience some sort of sleep effects either going on or off the drug. I'm hopeful that it won't be serious enough to dissuade me from trying to do without it.

I know that this is a thread on positive tales of Wellbutrin use, but I wanted to alert those taking it/ thinking of taking it of some very nasty side effects I experienced in my 8 weeks of taking Wellbutrin. It's possible that it may have had the desired antidepressant effects I wished for, but sadly these were completely subsumed by my horror when I started to find large amounts of my hair dropping out & an aggressive rash which moved all over my body. The rash disappeared within a fortnight of my ceasing to take Wellbutrin, but my hair loss made my depression much much worse, I felt even more ashamed of myself (I already had fine hair but I estimate a further third of my hair fell out after taking this drug). It took about 2 months for the hair loss to slow right down, but I had waist length hair, & it will take five years for it to grow back. Also my hair regrowth has been very, very slow indeed.

For me personally, Wellbutrin was a disaster although I know it helps many people. I just wanted to give warning of the accompanying effects from my experience.

Hello, all.

I have been taking Buproprion XL for about fifteen whole hours, but I wanted to thank everyone for their positive and realistic input and I also wanted to share what I hope will continue to be a good experience for other folks trying to find positive information about Wellbutrin online.

Unlike many stories I read here, I have not always struggled with anxiety or depression. I remember my first panic attack clearly; ironically, it was at a Widespread Panic show with my then boyfriend (now husband) about eight years ago. I had never been to such a crowded event, though I was a regular concert-goer and even worked at a busy airport. I just could not handle all the people touching me, like you couldn't move through the crowd without bumping against people and suddenly I couldn't breathe and I had to move to the outside of the crowd near the fence and find the exit. I didn't leave but I had to know the way out. It was just awful. I worked at the airport for years after that and only experienced that kind of panic from a crowd a few more times at work.

More recently I started having them at the super market, but that is a ridiculous story... Anyway, that's what led me to talk to my doctor about the anxiety, crying in the store for what felt like no reason. She prescribed Lexapro, and since I had had a previous positive experience with it, I thought it was a good idea.

My second experience with Lexapro was completely different from my first. The first time around, I had no sexual side effects, no muscle stiffness, nothing except long-forgotten gut laughs and better moods in general. The second time, I became anorgasmic within a few days, and I swear my jaw has been clenched for months (and hardly any gut laughs to report). It was really starting to bother my teeth and cause pain in my jaw and I didn't realize how bad it was until this morning.

I had trouble sleeping after missing two doses of Lexapro in three days (Saturday on accident and Monday due to starting Bupropion today). So I was tired this morning, but took it first thing and halfway through my shower, I noticed I stopped constricting my jaw. Then I noticed I felt very awake. I felt pretty good all day and I actually got hungry at lunch time. I am almost never hungry at lunch time. I was a little grouchy, but that could be from lack of proper rest or quitting the Lexapro. The good thing was that I was acting grouchy, so I at least noticed it and made an effort to be nice to my family.

I also have been experiencing pretty much constant compulsive negative thinking about my father-in-law, and today was like a vacation in that I hardly thought of him at all!

Thanks for sharing your insights. I felt better after reading this thread last night.

I specifically chose this medication (for less side effects) to some others I had tried. At first, I was questioning my decision since I was always moody. This ended up being due to a bad reaction with another medication which I changed. Now, at about 1 month I feel happy once again thanks to bupropion.

This medication is absolutely wonderful now that it has started to kick in. I am able to feel human with a range of emotions without the feelings of depression. Usually, antidepressants work for a while then I feel numb with no emotions at all. Bupropion changed that and I am so thankful for it. Now, I can only hope it stays this way!

I'm restarting WB after a 3 year vacation from it. The reason I stopped after 6 successful years was horrible neck tension/pain and a hair trigger temper that came out of the blue and only got worse.. I developed rage-like behavior over things that would normally just irritate me. With that said, it is the only med that has helped me with confidence, motivation, and general feeling of just being normal. All of the "s" drugs make me feel drugged and worse.

While I was taking WB for 6 years, I was only on100mg sr in the AM. I've decided to get back on it and up the dose hoping for a paradoxical effect. My pain and anger seemed to occur when the med was winding down so I am going to 200mg to see if this is the answer. I already feel better from a week ago but it is causing dry, bloodshot eyes now.

Has anyone else has similar side effects and played with dosing to alleviate them?