Am I overreacting? Or am I justified to feel confused and upset?

chumly

To make a long story short…for the last 15 years I’ve dreamed of working from home and making a meaningful career out of it and because of this I’ve been very interested in becoming a medical biller/ coder as it seems to always come up on online searches for work at home careers. It just seemed like the perfect career for me. It sounded easy enough, offered great pay, seemed to be a demand for it and does not take years of schooling.

Anyway, I don’t have much money so I decided to try to get help from a program that would possibly fund all or part of the fee for a course offered in a local school. It seemed very promising because they actually have the field listed as a field they help finance and I qualified for their services.

Part  of my qualifying included my having to do 3 weeks of testing and a 3 day work evaluation. When I finished doing this my counselor told me that I passed the evaluation with flying colors and that she would submit an application to the school to see if I can be approved for medical billing training. I realize there was no guarantee on this but her tone sounded about as certain as it can get so I suppose I had high hopes that it would all work out.

However, a few days ago I was informed that they will not pay for the training because they feel there are no jobs in this field in my area and that they suggested I can work in an office instead..which would not be work at home!

Needless to say, I am so disappointed on so many levels! Not only for the fact that they won’t pay for my schooling after I did the 3 weeks of testing and 3 days of work evaluation…but also that they are saying there are no jobs in this field in my area when I see plenty of jobs online! Also the labor board has this career listed as one of the most promising.

I’m very confused and upset. Do you think it’s understandable that I’d feel this way? Would others feel just as upset as I do? Or do I sound like I’m overreacting?

Thanks in advance

Confused and upset?  Sure.

But then, when someone tells me things I want to hear, I get suspicious.  There are a lot of scams out there.  A lot of scams for education or training too.  A lot of jobs that are looking for flood the market with 'qualified people' so that they can justify not trying to retain experienced folks.  'Business'  means people are an expense to be minimized, usually.  (Sorry, I am jaded)

Also, what kind of questions did you ask?  If you asked a lot of questions and they lied, yes, I would be very upset.  How many people are being hired? What is the usual turn over? How many work from home? What is the usual "worked this for X years before moving on"?  Can I talk to someone hired a year ago for a couple minutes?

It's easy for someone to promise the moon.  Harder to answer detailed questions. 

But, I hope that this was temporary and incorrect.  I hope that you do find a way to get this into a 'work from home' situation.

I've found that many organizations go fishing for skilled people and then say they can't or won't do what was promised in the ad.  It's a shitty way to get a stable of skilled people on a waiting list, that they won't even say is a waiting list!

I'm sorry this hasn't worked out.  I've looked for at-home jobs many times, and when I go through the motions of their "registration" process, I find that I have to PAY for that "registration."  It looks like the job market and the scam market are linked in ways we can't even imagine.  You have a right to be upset.    

I don't know what to think 3 weeks of testing and 3 days of work evaluation.  If it was a scam would they really put 24 days into it?  Sure I guess they might think someone would go ahead and pay for the training a lot of the time if they've already put that much time into it.  Maybe.:unsure:

On 2/17/2022 at 6:14 PM, chumly said:

To make a long story short…for the last 15 years I’ve dreamed of working from home and making a meaningful career out of it and because of this I’ve been very interested in becoming a medical biller/ coder as it seems to always come up on online searches for work at home careers. It just seemed like the perfect career for me. It sounded easy enough, offered great pay, seemed to be a demand for it and does not take years of schooling.

Anyway, I don’t have much money so I decided to try to get help from a program that would possibly fund all or part of the fee for a course offered in a local school. It seemed very promising because they actually have the field listed as a field they help finance and I qualified for their services.

Part  of my qualifying included my having to do 3 weeks of testing and a 3 day work evaluation. When I finished doing this my counselor told me that I passed the evaluation with flying colors and that she would submit an application to the school to see if I can be approved for medical billing training. I realize there was no guarantee on this but her tone sounded about as certain as it can get so I suppose I had high hopes that it would all work out.

However, a few days ago I was informed that they will not pay for the training because they feel there are no jobs in this field in my area and that they suggested I can work in an office instead..which would not be work at home!

Needless to say, I am so disappointed on so many levels! Not only for the fact that they won’t pay for my schooling after I did the 3 weeks of testing and 3 days of work evaluation…but also that they are saying there are no jobs in this field in my area when I see plenty of jobs online! Also the labor board has this career listed as one of the most promising.

I’m very confused and upset. Do you think it’s understandable that I’d feel this way? Would others feel just as upset as I do? Or do I sound like I’m overreacting?

Thanks in advance

Thanks so much for the very helpful response! 

Yes, I do have some follow up questions for this agency. I plan on asking them those questions next week. I think part of my upset was not just about  the fact that they wont pay and suggest that there is no work in the field but the counselor was so cold about the whole thing. She even left a voicemail on my answering machine last Friday 5 minutes before closing just to let me know they wont pay. ..and she called me at 9 am on Monday morning to say that we needed to find something else for me instead....not even giving me a full business day to absorb the disappointment and never mind the fact that she had to tell me on my answering machine for my entire household to hear! Anyway, I did make a complaint to her supervisor about that so they will give me another counselor so perhaps that will be the solution. Maybe I just had a lousy counselor.

Anyway, in any event,  I was too upset about the whole thing this week to think straight. I plan on asking them where they are getting their information from since I have heard and read that the field is booming and I have a friend doing this kind of work and I see plenty of job ads. Hopefully things will make sense if I follow up with them next week.

Anyway, thanks for the great advice and input.  I really appreciate it! 🙂

3 hours ago, womanofthelight said:

I've found that many organizations go fishing for skilled people and then say they can't or won't do what was promised in the ad.  It's a shitty way to get a stable of skilled people on a waiting list, that they won't even say is a waiting list!

I'm sorry this hasn't worked out.  I've looked for at-home jobs many times, and when I go through the motions of their "registration" process, I find that I have to PAY for that "registration."  It looks like the job market and the scam market are linked in ways we can't even imagine.  You have a right to be upset.    

Thanks so much for the very helpful response and yes, that is so true! Perhaps that was all just alot of talk from them to get me to sign up for their program. 😞

I agree with what you have said about work at home jobs too. I have had a few legitimate ones but there are so many scams that it is hard to know what to trust...:(

My neighbor is a work at home medical biller so I know in her case it is legitimate and that is part of why I wanted to get in the field myself but now I need to find out what exactly they are referring to when they say there is no work in the field so I guess I need to follow up with them. I have just been too upset to do so this past week but I will next week.

Anyway, thanks for the very helpful response! I really appreciate it! 🙂

3 hours ago, sober4life said:

I don't know what to think 3 weeks of testing and 3 days of work evaluation.  If it was a scam would they really put 24 days into it?  Sure I guess they might think someone would go ahead and pay for the training a lot of the time if they've already put that much time into it.  Maybe.:unsure:

Thanks so much for the response!

Actually it is a state run program called Vocational Rehabilitation. ..and they help people who are disabled go back to work or get into training. Since I am disabled I do qualify for help from them but I was extremely specific on what I was interested in. I told them right off the bat that I wanted a work at home job...specifically medical billing. They said if they cant fund medical billing they can help me find other work instead. I reluctantly  agreed with that but I was very adamant on my goal being a medical biller. ..so I just find it irritating that they would have me do the 3 weeks of testing and 3 day work evaluation and only tell me after all that that medical billing is not something they can pay for for me. 

It would have made more sense if they could have told me right from the start that medical billing was a dying field in their finding and this way, I would not have wasted my time with the testing and evaluation. In fact, I remember my counselor insisted that I do the 3 weeks of testing since I wanted them to pay for school for me. I even had Drs. appts and other possible part time job prospects, but my counselor was so insistent that I do the 3 weeks of testing that she had me reschedule everything! She told me that I needed to do that if I wanted them to pay for schooling and now to find out that they will not pay for my schooling after all that it feels like a total waste of my time to me and like I was lied to in order to get me to do this ridiculous testing for some uknown reason! SMH!

It  is funny because my typing this to you is making me realize that this really is the part that I might be most irritated with so maybe I will feel better if I let them know how I feel about how they did that to me next week when I call them. Maybe it will help me feel better.

Anyway,  thanks so much for the input. I really appreciate it! 🙂

22 hours ago, sober4life said:

Yes I agree tell them exactly how you feel.

Thanks and thanks for listening! It is amazing how someone simply   listening on the internet can really make a difference! Thanks again!! 🙂

19 hours ago, Epictetus said:

I would be very upset and distressed if that happened to me.  Sorry it happened to you!

Thanks so much for the understanding message. I sometimes tend to over-react so I was not sure if this was one of those times but it is good to know that others are seeing my point on this one.

Thanks again! 🙂

On 2/18/2022 at 7:38 PM, chumly said:

Thanks so much for the very helpful response and yes, that is so true! Perhaps that was all just alot of talk from them to get me to sign up for their program. 😞

I agree with what you have said about work at home jobs too. I have had a few legitimate ones but there are so many scams that it is hard to know what to trust...:(

My neighbor is a work at home medical biller so I know in her case it is legitimate and that is part of why I wanted to get in the field myself but now I need to find out what exactly they are referring to when they say there is no work in the field so I guess I need to follow up with them. I have just been too upset to do so this past week but I will next week.

Anyway, thanks for the very helpful response! I really appreciate it! 🙂

🙂