How do we get back up when we are so low we cannot move?

Luciano

We sink lower and lower until we hit the bottom. When we're there the best thing to do is take a while... allow yourself to be there, don't force it and don't beat yourself up about it. Tell yourself you will accept it for a period of time... the next hour, day, week, whatever you decide. But tell yourself once that hour, day, week has passed you will take the first small step... start to listen to music you find uplifting, go out and get some fresh air, maybe then meet some friends and work to build the momentum back the other way. 

One comment about "sinking".

This is a common metaphor that reveals the need for metaphorically letting go of excessive emotional baggage.

The metaphorical depression cave we all have is a great place to consign any and all negativity.

Personally I try to keep a handy supply of big, bad, bold metaphorical boulders to squash useless thoughts and memories.

Old Man Depression is always busy playing awful tricks on our psyches so we should just play some clever tricks right back.

All's fair in love, war and depression.

I bottomed out at the very end of 2021 and wound up in the hospital. My brother and his wife stepped in and rescued me. I'm ashamed that they even had to but I'd literally have snuffed it without them.

Now the long, slow climb out of this deep well begins...

On 2/5/2022 at 12:54 AM, JD4010 said:

I bottomed out at the very end of 2021 and wound up in the hospital. My brother and his wife stepped in and rescued me. I'm ashamed that they even had to but I'd literally have snuffed it without them.

Now the long, slow climb out of this deep well begins...

No shame in that my friend. We all need help sometimes. 

L

Easier said than done ... I hit bottom 2 years ago - I thought and slowly climbed back upwards ... just to find out it was not bottom yet. I am tired of trying - Thanks for the nice post though ! 

On 2/8/2022 at 4:42 PM, Svenetc said:

Easier said than done ... I hit bottom 2 years ago - I thought and slowly climbed back upwards ... just to find out it was not bottom yet. I am tired of trying - Thanks for the nice post though ! 

It is easier said than done... it is the hardest thing in the world. Sorry to hear you are on the slide my friend. It's crushing when you think tomorrow can only get better... and it gets worse.