New Job Prospect - Giving Myself an Anxiety Attacks

So about a month and a half ago I applied and interviewed for a position for a new job. I thought I completely screwed up the interview and I had zero chance and so I relegated to the fact that I wouldn't get the role. Imagine my surprise when I received an email asking me back for a second interview. I went and again, I thought I did terribly. I was again shocked that they wanted to conduct a pre-employment interview. But since I felt I had zero chance, I again relegated to the idea that I am not good enough and this was just some mistake. I received a conditional job offer today, but I have to have a pre-employment physical and psychological exam. Part of me is excited but at the same time, I have seriously freaking out.. I have been in the same job for 15 years and I guess I am more or less comfortable where I am at. I don't know what to do and I am not sure if I can handle the stress. 

I have felt the same way you felt after every interview I ever had.  Actually I've felt that way after pretty much every conversation with anyone.  The truth is from what you say they think you are the right person for the job.  Allow yourself to feel happy and proud of yourself.  The truth is you did do well at the interviews because they want you.  Great job!

Hey Max

This sounds really stressful. I guess it is compounded by the fact you have been in the same job for 15 years. That is 15 years of familiarity you will be stepping out of into a space that is less well known. I had a similar experience last year. I had been coasting in my job for 9 years. All along I knew I had to step out of my comfort zone and move to a new role. 

We sometimes go for something because part of us knows that we should and that if we do not we will regret it. But at the same time another part of us becomes fearful at the prospect of taking that step. What if I do not like my new colleagues? What if I won't be able to do a good job? What if I hate it? 

The truth is that if you do not like the job you won't be stuck there. You would not have been offered the job if you were not the best person. Once you start... finish your first day... second... third days you will have the reference experiences that there is nothing to worry about.

Luciano 

It’s amazing that you have been at the same job for so long! It really shows your commitment and even more amazing that you decided to give yourself the chance to start something new ! This is a good opportunity to start a new job that you might end up liking even more than your last one . Give yourselves the opportunity to settle and start this new journey. If it doesn’t work out you can always leave it and start somewhere else just as you did for this one .

good luck