Taking time off work for mental health guilt

Hey All

My mental health takes a really big dip during the winter, I'm so much more anxious and low. I have no motivation to do anything. Decided to take today and tomorrow off, but now I'm sitting here thinking I've let everyone at work down (I'm a nurse) and that everyone is judging me and thinking I'm lazy. Why does being off for MH feel like a cop out?

Putting yourself down is a very common feature of depression. Lots of people give themselves a mental health day once per month regardless of circumstances.

I once had a mental breakdown and checked myself into hospital. I was there for 3 weeks. Didn't give my workplace any advance warning at all. But taking a break from the stress was exactly what I needed and I was in much better shape when I went back. 

I can't imagine being a nurse through a pandemic.  Don't feel guilty about taking a couple of days off.  You and all the nurses you work with deserve paid retirement for going through what you've gone through the last 3 years.

I am so inspired by nurses.   What a great vocation. 

I once felt the need to take some time off from work for the sake of my mental health but guilt pushed me to go to work instead.  I had a mental breakdown that put me into a psychiatric hospital for weeks and weeks.  It cost me about $1400 a day not including my meds.  Now when I feel the need to take a mental health break I take it and am proud of myself for taking it. 

You are a person who does so much good for others, please take care of yourself.  We cannot be loving persons if we do not love ourselves too.  Thanks so much for being a nurse!!!

It think it feels like a copout based on how we are socially conditioned in a capitalist society in general terms.

In specific terms I think nurses are chronically understaffed from all the ones I have known. Hospital managers tend to maximize profit by minimal staffing to be honest I don't think hospital should be for profit because it commercializes peoples health and life. If I was in charge that would be government imo capitaliism works for somethings but also something should not be about profit and getting rich during a pandemic and the human toll rolls down onto the backs of nurses. I do not think it is right you should not have guilt of taking a mental health day I am sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking I might need to do this soon. I don’t like wasting vacation days when I have nothing planned but right now I am struggling so bad, especially these last few days, that I am barely getting any work done. Things have slowed down and it is a tossup whether or not I have enough to do anyway and one of our clients has all but stopped sending things over. I let far too many vacation days go unused at my last job and I won’t let that happen again.