Totally gonna be done with forums at the end of 2021...

Good riddance, as welI. Although I know I said in the past, I would quit message boards and YouTube at the end of X period. But now I believe that I mean it. This is mostly due to a stalking idiot in Australia that I know, who has been constantly following me around on different sites and even using personal info to attack me, and just due to a lack of enjoyment in general...

Basically, forums in 2021 are vastly dead, and I think Facebook and Twitter is partly why that is the reality of it all. But it really also depends on the topic at hand in some cases. If it is a niche thing you wish to discuss, I suppose you may just not find there is even much of an audience for it. But if you get no replies, it is a waste of energy to post at all. However, I know that if you go to, for example, gaming forums that are noticeably busy, there is nothing great that becomes of you making the effort to chime in. When you post a new thread saying how you feel about a franchise or something, the corporate kiss ups will usually be quick to jump at you and claim all this stuff about you being a hater, serving as their brand of obvious troll bait. Plus, the activity just isn't there any more, and there is too much arrogance online. Some responses are kind of vaporware and rather generic too, like they just want to get their post count higher by saying one sentence after you took the time to compose a wall of text. And if you go on Google and look up topics covering how forums are dead, so many people who grew up with forums notice that life online now just isn't as interesting. However, not being online would likely make socially inept people feel more isolated, as I guess it offers a little bit of comfort to those who find talking to people in person harder than typing out comments. But quite often, the ignorance from these faceless pseudonyms just doesn't get you anywhere.

And YouTube is nothing but ads, shills being paid to get their channels noticed, and there are so many tight rules about what you can publish today. Now they also make you pay a subscription to get past the annoying spam, when you never had to pay a cent in the old days to enjoy videos. It is no longer about being yourself either. You basically took what was the wild west of the web, Google, and wrecked it for money. So shame on you people! 

Yeah. Internet people are often hard to please. Sometimes, all you're really doing is showing pride in your passionate posts, and they can be incredibly shallow, not taking you seriously, or just outright being awkward over nothing of consequence. 

I reckon they just enjoy acting tough with their stupid aliases, because they're talking smack to strangers online. It's mostly anonymous as well. So a lot of the time, they know they can behave that way and not have to face any real backlash, except maybe getting their accounts banned. 

Forums need a purpose (like not fracking within 7 light years of my favourite beach) or at least a common good (like the stated aim of this forum) but still are only as good as the contributions people make to them.

Nothing wrong with an alternative view ( as long as it that is all it is) but, as a species, we’re losing our nuance. The village is now a human pyramid. Hopefully the zuckerverse sucks it all up and spits both it and itself into space, leaving the adults behind.

Even this forum has changed. There is some recent hateful racist crap that manages to still be here but wouldn’t have lasted a minute when there were moderators.

2 hours ago, Gisele said:

Forums need a purpose (like not fracking within 7 light years of my favourite beach) or at least a common good (like the stated aim of this forum) but still are only as good as the contributions people make to them.

Nothing wrong with an alternative view ( as long as it that is all it is) but, as a species, we’re losing our nuance. The village is now a human pyramid. Hopefully the zuckerverse sucks it all up and spits both it and itself into space, leaving the adults behind.

Even this forum has changed. There is some recent hateful racist crap that manages to still be here but wouldn’t have lasted a minute when there were moderators.

Gisele-

We would love to have Mods, but they are few and far between!  Many of our wonderful Members help out when they can 🙂

On 12/21/2021 at 8:35 PM, Rebecca Chambers said:

Good riddance, as welI. Although I know I said in the past, I would quit message boards and YouTube at the end of X period. But now I believe that I mean it. This is mostly due to a stalking idiot in Australia that I know, who has been constantly following me around on different sites and even using personal info to attack me, and just due to a lack of enjoyment in general...

Basically, forums in 2021 are vastly dead, and I think Facebook and Twitter is partly why that is the reality of it all. But it really also depends on the topic at hand in some cases. If it is a niche thing you wish to discuss, I suppose you may just not find there is even much of an audience for it. But if you get no replies, it is a waste of energy to post at all. However, I know that if you go to, for example, gaming forums that are noticeably busy, there is nothing great that becomes of you making the effort to chime in. When you post a new thread saying how you feel about a franchise or something, the corporate kiss ups will usually be quick to jump at you and claim all this stuff about you being a hater, serving as their brand of obvious troll bait. Plus, the activity just isn't there any more, and there is too much arrogance online. Some responses are kind of vaporware and rather generic too, like they just want to get their post count higher by saying one sentence after you took the time to compose a wall of text. And if you go on Google and look up topics covering how forums are dead, so many people who grew up with forums notice that life online now just isn't as interesting. However, not being online would likely make socially inept people feel more isolated, as I guess it offers a little bit of comfort to those who find talking to people in person harder than typing out comments. But quite often, the ignorance from these faceless pseudonyms just doesn't get you anywhere.

And YouTube is nothing but ads, shills being paid to get their channels noticed, and there are so many tight rules about what you can publish today. Now they also make you pay a subscription to get past the annoying spam, when you never had to pay a cent in the old days to enjoy videos. It is no longer about being yourself either. You basically took what was the wild west of the web, Google, and wrecked it for money. So shame on you people! 

Sorry that you have gotten nothing from DF and sorry to see you go 😐

~Lindsay