Do you feel that lithium is worth trying?

I've been on Lexapro for a long time, but my depression and anxiety are still a problem. I was put on abilify and then rexulti with no results. I kept sleeping too much on rexulti.

My psych doc wants to try lithium. She says it is a mood stabilizer. I've read it has some serious side effects. My main concern is renal disease. I already feel like I urinate too much as it is. I've read that it can cause further issues.

Do you think it is worth trying, or should I ask for a different medication? I don't know if there are many avenues left. I've tried multiple antidepressants and lexapro seems like it is the only one that works. That is why the pdoc doesn't want to take me off of it to try something else.

I was put on a small dose of Lithium decades ago to increase the effectiveness of the antidepressant I was on, which was called Tofranil.  This use of Lithium was called an "augmenter."  It did help me.  I didn't notice any side effects but then again I was on such a small dose.  I sure hope you find something that helps you!

42 minutes ago, fitness said:

Was it temporary? That is my main concern. What dosage were you prescribed?

Once you have it you have it until the end.  There is no cure.  All you can do is stop it from getting worse.

29 minutes ago, fitness said:

Everything I'm reading states it is for manic episodes. I do not have bipolar episodes. I experience extreme downs and it is difficult for me to get out of bed.

It's a mood stabilizer like they say.  Did it help give me a stable mood?  Sure and for me that's saying a lot.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:50 PM, sober4life said:

Well I got renal disease from it.  Of course they didn't say anything about that possibility until afterwards.

Their drugs can be so dangerous. But when you wanna use something natural they are so against it. They want the money regardless if you get better or worse. I believe they have cure for almost every disease but if they cure everyone that doesn't suit them. I know some will call it conspiracy theory but when you use your brain some things are so obvious.

Edited by Zagor