Anyone has SAD?

Zagor

If I happened to live in California or southern USA I think I'd feel 50% better. But here in Canada cold weather usually starts in November until April.

6 months of winter is too much for someone with a SAD. They don't have any meds just for that except the blue light (which I cannot take due to neurological issues) I fear every winter. I will get more depressed, anxious and suicidal. Not to mention depersonalization. Canada has an organization called "the snow birds". It's people who go to Texas, Florida, from Nov-April.

But if you are poor you cant go.

I think everything you take for this has the placebo effect.  If you believe it works it will work.  Maybe that's what everything is once the belief goes away it's over and my belief in everything is gone.  I believe everyone is a snake oil salesman and a con artist taking advantage of people and I'm probably not far from the truth.

I do get it... Mine presents as low, low energy from November till about March... 

Things I find helpful are getting up and out early and some kind of full time occupation eg. Job or study with a regular routine... Staying home during this time is the worst case scenario for me but usually where I'm at. Lol 😑

I can't stand heat and bright sun. This summer was especially excruciating. I don't know why I hate sunny weather, but it feels like my brain is melting when it's so bright. I get very anxious and irritable. What makes it worse, is that this weather is considered to be "good" for most people, and no one around me relates to this. The only thing that made me okay with it, is smoking weed, which is not the best option. I'll see how my next summer will go with new meds. 

4 hours ago, Nightjar said:

I do get it... Mine presents as low, low energy from November till about March... 

Things I find helpful are getting up and out early and some kind of full time occupation eg. Job or study with a regular routine... Staying home during this time is the worst case scenario for me but usually where I'm at. Lol 😑

I think the staying home part is the bad part.  It's not being able to go anywhere.  People experience the same exact effects in places where the sun never really goes away but it makes it so hot they can't leave the house especially in the summer months.  I know someone that always goes to Florida every year at this time.  Is she happy?  No she's the crabbiest person in town.

Yes I do and it's terrible but I think I have it year round. Everything is really terrible right now health, home, finances. I don't know if it's the weather but it's all happening at the same time. 😴

I do have some SAD.  I first noticed it is Seattle, where is cloudy and overcast so much of the time.  Since I live in New Mexico it is hardly a problem anymore.  Sorry I cannot be helpful to you!

On 10/11/2021 at 11:38 AM, Zagor said:

If I happened to live in California or southern USA I think I'd feel 50% better. But here in Canada cold weather usually starts in November until April.

6 months of winter is too much for someone with a SAD. They don't have any meds just for that except the blue light (which I cannot take due to neurological issues) I fear every winter. I will get more depressed, anxious and suicidal. Not to mention depersonalization. Canada has an organization called "the snow birds". It's people who go to Texas, Florida, from Nov-April.

I live in tropical equatorial part of Asia where it's never below 89.6 deg F all year round, day AND night. You have winters, over here it's heatwaves.

So wanna swap places?

For me hot weather including some heat waves is better than long and cold winter. That's why I feel better during the summer time. Having a sleeping disorder and sometimes got to sleep during the day makes it worse because the days are so short. When it is snowy, cloudy and usually dark around 4pm to me is hell. Even some healthy people get the so called winter blues. My brother on the other hand likes winter more than summer. To him long and hot summer days are depressing. I guess we are all very different.

Oh and for some reason my fears get real bad during winter. I only feel safe indoors.

Edited by Zagor

35 minutes ago, Zagor said:

Oh and for some reason my fears get real bad during winter. I only feel safe indoors.

Sure my paranoia is much worse in the winter but I can't hide away more like I would like.  I have to stay in contact with everyone I know even during these times.  If I hide away too long there's no such thing as reality anymore.  All there is is what my mind believes is reality.   10 days or more hiding away with my schizophrenia and I probably would be too far gone to come back.

Edited by sober4life

On 10/10/2021 at 11:38 PM, Zagor said:

hi  i have sad. i use a light therapy lamp i bought off amazon, it was like $60 bucks ... they have various ...and i look at it for 15 minutes a day when it starts getting dark to get me through the sadness in the winter/fall... just make sure its like 10,000 Lux thats what the doctors recommend..

On 10/14/2021 at 1:12 PM, ladysmurf said:

hi  i have sad. i use a light therapy lamp i bought off amazon, it was like $60 bucks ... they have various ...and i look at it for 15 minutes a day when it starts getting dark to get me through the sadness in the winter/fall... just make sure its like 10,000 Lux thats what the doctors recommend..

For some undiagnosed reason if I look at the lamp for more than 10 seconds it knocks me out and I can't function for hours, sometimes days depending what triggers it. (there are other triggers as well).

But can you use the lamp and not stare at it? Does it help then?

Zagor,

I would not stare directly at a light lamp, treat it like you would a mini sun it is not good to stare at it.

I am a fan of light therapy and also taking vitamin d3.

Snowbirds is really expensive imho and I don't know how they are going to do the borders. Besides I love winter wonderland and Christmas in Canada.

On 10/15/2021 at 7:37 PM, Zagor said:

For some undiagnosed reason if I look at the lamp for more than 10 seconds it knocks me out and I can't function for hours, sometimes days depending what triggers it. (there are other triggers as well).

But can you use the lamp and not stare at it? Does it help then?

you aren't supposed to stare at it directly. just put it somewhere near you when you can see the light. when its dark outside...try to get a cheap or used one on amazon or even ebay...it might help

My SAD is already beginning. Fall has been okay here so far, even a bit on the warmer side. But the shorter days…dark by 7:00 now and will be even shorter soon with the time change are what gets me down. I also live in a place with some of the absolute worst winter weather anywhere. My area is well known for its very harsh winters and impressive snow totals (usually 100+ inches) for the season in many years.  It is a depressing place to begin with but with threat of snow at any time from about mid-October through April, even early May…it is unbearable at times. Plus, those ugly piles of snow don’t melt and just sit there in parking lots for months on end,

I think there used to be a difference in the seasons for me but honestly I'm pretty much the same all year at this point.  I'm Oscar the Grouch waking up every day to prison because that's what this life is at this point.  It has the feeling of being in prison for life with no hope ever.

On 10/21/2021 at 6:03 PM, monicott17 said:

My SAD is already beginning. Fall has been okay here so far, even a bit on the warmer side. But the shorter days…dark by 7:00 now and will be even shorter soon with the time change are what gets me down. I also live in a place with some of the absolute worst winter weather anywhere. My area is well known for its very harsh winters and impressive snow totals (usually 100+ inches) for the season in many years.  It is a depressing place to begin with but with threat of snow at any time from about mid-October through April, even early May…it is unbearable at times. Plus, those ugly piles of snow don’t melt and just sit there in parking lots for months on end,

Right. To me it's not much about how cold the winter can get but how long it lasts. Last year it snowed late October and entire November was sunny and warmish but the snow didn't melt. That's so depressing. and yes, sometimes it goes into May. It's horrible for people who cannot take winter.

I didn't know that USA has long winters except Alaska. I suppose you live closer to Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

Some parts of my area have gotten snow already and it has been cold and unpleasant the last few days. The time change is in a few days and already one of the local radio stations has started with the 24-7 Christmas music. Just more stuff to make me feel even more sad and anxious.

Yeah I worry about the snow coming not because I can't drive in it.  The people around here can't drive on dry roads.  I want no part of it.  I wish I could hibernate like bears but I would probably wake up in the spring with a mean look and just go back to bed.