Jump to content

Anyone has SAD?


Zagor

Recommended Posts

If I happened to live in California or southern USA I think I'd feel 50% better. But here in Canada cold weather usually starts in November until April.

6 months of winter is too much for someone with a SAD. They don't have any meds just for that except the blue light (which I cannot take due to neurological issues) I fear every winter. I will get more depressed, anxious and suicidal. Not to mention depersonalization. Canada has an organization called "the snow birds". It's people who go to Texas, Florida, from Nov-April.

But if you are poor you cant go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think everything you take for this has the placebo effect.  If you believe it works it will work.  Maybe that's what everything is once the belief goes away it's over and my belief in everything is gone.  I believe everyone is a snake oil salesman and a con artist taking advantage of people and I'm probably not far from the truth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do get it... Mine presents as low, low energy from November till about March... 

Things I find helpful are getting up and out early and some kind of full time occupation eg. Job or study with a regular routine... Staying home during this time is the worst case scenario for me but usually where I'm at. Lol 😑

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't stand heat and bright sun. This summer was especially excruciating. I don't know why I hate sunny weather, but it feels like my brain is melting when it's so bright. I get very anxious and irritable. What makes it worse, is that this weather is considered to be "good" for most people, and no one around me relates to this. The only thing that made me okay with it, is smoking weed, which is not the best option. I'll see how my next summer will go with new meds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nightjar said:

I do get it... Mine presents as low, low energy from November till about March... 

Things I find helpful are getting up and out early and some kind of full time occupation eg. Job or study with a regular routine... Staying home during this time is the worst case scenario for me but usually where I'm at. Lol 😑

I think the staying home part is the bad part.  It's not being able to go anywhere.  People experience the same exact effects in places where the sun never really goes away but it makes it so hot they can't leave the house especially in the summer months.  I know someone that always goes to Florida every year at this time.  Is she happy?  No she's the crabbiest person in town.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/11/2021 at 11:38 AM, Zagor said:

If I happened to live in California or southern USA I think I'd feel 50% better. But here in Canada cold weather usually starts in November until April.

6 months of winter is too much for someone with a SAD. They don't have any meds just for that except the blue light (which I cannot take due to neurological issues) I fear every winter. I will get more depressed, anxious and suicidal. Not to mention depersonalization. Canada has an organization called "the snow birds". It's people who go to Texas, Florida, from Nov-April.

But if you are poor you cant go.

I live in tropical equatorial part of Asia where it's never below 89.6 deg F all year round, day AND night. You have winters, over here it's heatwaves.

So wanna swap places?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me hot weather including some heat waves is better than long and cold winter. That's why I feel better during the summer time. Having a sleeping disorder and sometimes got to sleep during the day makes it worse because the days are so short. When it is snowy, cloudy and usually dark around 4pm to me is hell. Even some healthy people get the so called winter blues. My brother on the other hand likes winter more than summer. To him long and hot summer days are depressing. I guess we are all very different.

Oh and for some reason my fears get real bad during winter. I only feel safe indoors.

Edited by Zagor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Zagor said:

Oh and for some reason my fears get real bad during winter. I only feel safe indoors.

Sure my paranoia is much worse in the winter but I can't hide away more like I would like.  I have to stay in contact with everyone I know even during these times.  If I hide away too long there's no such thing as reality anymore.  All there is is what my mind believes is reality.   10 days or more hiding away with my schizophrenia and I probably would be too far gone to come back.

Edited by sober4life
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/10/2021 at 11:38 PM, Zagor said:

If I happened to live in California or southern USA I think I'd feel 50% better. But here in Canada cold weather usually starts in November until April.

6 months of winter is too much for someone with a SAD. They don't have any meds just for that except the blue light (which I cannot take due to neurological issues) I fear every winter. I will get more depressed, anxious and suicidal. Not to mention depersonalization. Canada has an organization called "the snow birds". It's people who go to Texas, Florida, from Nov-April.

But if you are poor you cant go.

hi  i have sad. i use a light therapy lamp i bought off amazon, it was like $60 bucks ... they have various ...and i look at it for 15 minutes a day when it starts getting dark to get me through the sadness in the winter/fall... just make sure its like 10,000 Lux thats what the doctors recommend..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2021 at 1:12 PM, ladysmurf said:

hi  i have sad. i use a light therapy lamp i bought off amazon, it was like $60 bucks ... they have various ...and i look at it for 15 minutes a day when it starts getting dark to get me through the sadness in the winter/fall... just make sure its like 10,000 Lux thats what the doctors recommend..

For some undiagnosed reason if I look at the lamp for more than 10 seconds it knocks me out and I can't function for hours, sometimes days depending what triggers it. (there are other triggers as well).

 

But can you use the lamp and not stare at it? Does it help then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...