What is your OCD like? Does it get worse over time?

Just curious what people OCD is like, and if it's gotten worse over time..

Mine like most people started at a young age, but the older I get it seems to be getting worse. Unfortunately medication is not a form of way I can help my symptoms because I don't respond to it. I am trying to look into intense OCD programs (although they are very expensive) because I think in the last year it got worse. I've read studies that it gets worse , as the older we get and that's pretty scary to me.  Any advice, opinions on how you deal with it, would be appreciated it.

Thanks!

It's gotten much better over time because I just refuse to do a lot of it.  It's a fight in my head at times like an addiction but like an addiction I can say no I'm not doing it anymore.  OCD is madness that never ends.  It doesn't really make us feel better.  The more we do the more our mind will want to do.  Before you know it you feel like you can't leave your house or even can't leave your bedroom.  I just refuse to do it anymore.  It gets harder at first when you start fighting back against it but eventually little by little it gets better because our minds will move on.

It's gotten worse and more scary for me

4 hours ago, sober4life said:

Before you know it you feel like you can't leave your house or even can't leave your bedroom.

I get this, and then I get panicky and anxious and have to do bad things to make it stop.. but it doesnt really stop. The next day it happens again and the cycle continues. I hope my mind moves on one day

On 9/13/2021 at 5:13 PM, sober4life said:

It's gotten much better over time because I just refuse to do a lot of it.  It's a fight in my head at times like an addiction but like an addiction I can say no I'm not doing it anymore.  OCD is madness that never ends.  It doesn't really make us feel better.  The more we do the more our mind will want to do.  Before you know it you feel like you can't leave your house or even can't leave your bedroom.  I just refuse to do it anymore.  It gets harder at first when you start fighting back against it but eventually little by little it gets better because our minds will move on.

mine has gotten worse too over the years and i can't seem to find any relief from it ......im pretty sure it will be the end of me.

On 9/18/2021 at 10:58 AM, ladysmurf said:

mine has gotten worse too over the years and i can't seem to find any relief from it ......im pretty sure it will be the end of me.

It depends upon what we're going to call OCD exactly.  Do I do a lot of rituals at this point?  No not really but you could basically say the same monster whatever it is has had control of me from day one in one form or another.  It's my mind trying to take control of the biggest storm that's ever been on earth that's in my head and after 42 years it's never really been successful.  What does working mean?  Feeling better right now only but that better feeling is basically just a bump that leads to the next bump and the next bump.  Did anything really ever work?

On 9/13/2021 at 7:12 AM, ladysmurf said:

Just curious what people OCD is like, and if it's gotten worse over time..

Mine like most people started at a young age, but the older I get it seems to be getting worse. Unfortunately medication is not a form of way I can help my symptoms because I don't respond to it. I am trying to look into intense OCD programs (although they are very expensive) because I think in the last year it got worse. I've read studies that it gets worse , as the older we get and that's pretty scary to me.  Any advice, opinions on how you deal with it, would be appreciated it.

Thanks!

What is your ocd like? im just curious i have obsessive thought i cant let go until i do them but i dont have rituals. I wont say i have ocd because ive only seen the severe examples and dont want to offend.

You dont have to type it out if you dont want.

Edited by isaac s

On 9/20/2021 at 4:48 PM, isaac s said:

What is your ocd like? im just curious i have obsessive thought i cant let go until i do them but i dont have rituals. I wont say i have ocd because ive only seen the severe examples and dont want to offend.

You dont have to type it out if you dont want.

hair and skin picking and also intrusive thoughts that i am learning to control somehow. therapy was useless and no medication has ever been helpful nothing works for me so i am stuck with feeling this way ... 😞