How many meds and over how long?

Ive tried a number of medications for anxiety/panic attacks and have tried a few meds for depression/no energy.. over the course of say 9 months and my pdoc and my therapist have gotten on me about not switching meds so often but ive given each med 2 months before i decided it wasnt doing anything. Waiting for something to work when i know what the other side feels like and i feel like im just wasting time is horrible 😞

A few meds had side effects that i just couldnt handle the side effects right away so my pdoc isnt taking that into consideration, Honestly i dont trust him and i feel like i need someone whos more helpful.

How many meds have you tried and about how long did you try each med before changing or adding?

And how long did it take you to find one that works?

Edited by isaac s

I've tried more than I can count.  For some of us your story is our story.  They just don't work and yes by them working we expect to be like we think the people around us are.  Works for us means we are funtional in life and have a good life.  They talk about a chemical imballance and always trying to fix it.  I think balanced means numb without good or bad emotions and that's no way for me to live.

23 minutes ago, sober4life said:

I've tried more than I can count.  For some of us your story is our story.  They just don't work and yes by them working we expect to be like we think the people around us are.  Works for us means we are funtional in life and have a good life.  They talk about a chemical imballance and always trying to fix it.  I think balanced means numb without good or bad emotions and that's no way for me to live.

Numb alittle bit is kinda what im going for i think i feel too much

i defintely needs medication ive tried to long and cant fix it myself but psychiatry is just so dumb ! they are not helpful at all!

i'm bipolar and for years I didn't take any meds. my mood swings were wide and extreme. i was hospitalized several times and each time given meds. I didnt stay on them when I got out. Lo and behold the episodes continued. three years ago i was in hospital and when i got out i continued to take the meds. I have been taking them for 3 years now. i changed one med because of the cost without insurance. recently like last month i had a manic episode. but this time the swing up was smaller and less extreme. when i came out of the mania i did not crash into depression. so all in all I would say my meds are having an effect it has lessened the severity of my mood swings. I am on abilify and lamyctal.

1 hour ago, isaac s said:

Numb alittle bit is kinda what im going for i think i feel too much

i defintely needs medication ive tried to long and cant fix it myself but psychiatry is just so dumb ! they are not helpful at all!

Outpatient psychiatry is very frustrating.  Let's try this see you next month.  It takes forever to get anywhere.  Inpatient psychiatry in a hospital can get you to numb much quicker.  They won't let you leave until you are stable.  That's a quicker way to get stable but I wouldn't do that again if someone payed me.

Edited by sober4life

1 hour ago, Bbqdad said:

I am on abilify and lamyctal.

just started lamictal im hoping it works for me i think it already is.

I was prescribed abilify but i got scared of weight gain and sleepiness since alll ssris seem to put me to sleep. the lamictal works good for you?

Edited by isaac s

11 minutes ago, isaac s said:

just started lamictal im hoping it works for me i think it already is.

I was prescribed abilify but i got scared of weight gain and sleepiness since alll ssris seem to put me to sleep. the lamictal works good for you?

yes, the lamictal is working and I dont have any side effects. i dont feel anything. no numbness. but the last manic episode i had was mild.

I've been on one or more antidepressants now for about 26 years.  I've never tried anything in the MAOI category, so most of my experience has been with SSRI's.  The first one I tried was prozac, and yes, it dried my tears and made me functional after experiencing a trauma, but it made me feel distant from myself, if that makes any sense.  Like I was looking at my life through a scrim, not living my life with the intense passion I've always had. It also made sex difficult in that it delayed orgasm to the point where I was ready to just give it up for good.  After that I tried Cymbalta, Celexa, Zoloft (Ugh!!) Effexor, Lexapro, each for about 3 to 4 months.  Then there was Paxil.  I LOVED Paxil and was the only person I ever knew who actually lost weight while taking it.  But after about 5 years it just dropped me off a cliff and I had to start over with something new.

I now take a cocktail of bupropion (Wellbutrin) XL and amitriptyline and actually feel like a human being.

It can be a long process, but I think it's been worth it.  At least, as much as I think about suicide, my mind will not allow me to entertain the thought seriously. 

Hope this helps.

41 minutes ago, womanofthelight said:

I now take a cocktail of bupropion (Wellbutrin) XL and amitriptyline and actually feel like a human being.

Thats great 🙂 im on wellbutrin i was going to go off of it but my fatigue is coming back so im going to try to stay on it.. i dont like the increased sex drive i hope it goes away. Are you on 150s? or did you go up

I was on latuda and it stopped working that really sucks.

Never heard of amitriptyline the names are getting harder.

Edited by isaac s

Amitriptyline is one of the very first antidepressants (1950's, I think), and it's in the "tricyclic" category.  I take it with my bupropion at night because they both make me drowsy.  

I was on wellbutrin before I was put on paxil, and liked it even back then.  I was going to a free clinic and it happened that my blood pressure went up that same year due to A HORRIBLE WORK SITUATION, which the Drs. would not take my word for, nor take into consideration (they DO know just about EVERYTHING, don't they?) when prescribing meds!  I had no insurance at the time, so had no other alternative than to do it their way.  But as I said, I liked paxil.

As for the wellbutrin increase in libido, yes, it calms down after a few months (for me, anyway).  I do like that it hits the dopamine pleasure center in the brain--it makes the whole antidepressant thing seem a bit easier.  I'm on 300 mg. of the extended release kind.  They make it up to 450 mg, so I'm glad I have someplace to go if it ever seems not to be working.

Have you tried taking it at night?  Hang in there, my friend.  I hope it gets easier for you.

10 hours ago, sober4life said:

Yeah lamictal actually works pretty good for stabilizing moods.  Did it do that for me?  I'll say yes.

What made you stop if it was stabilizing your moods? If you don't mind me asking...

11 hours ago, isaac s said:

I was on latuda and it stopped working that really sucks.

Before taking abilify I was on latuda. But I lost my insurance so I couldn't afford latuda anymore so I switched to abilify since I pay out of pocket. 

4 hours ago, Bbqdad said:

What made you stop if it was stabilizing your moods? If you don't mind me asking...

The true answer that a lot of people will say is the sad answer is I have no idea how to live in a stable way.

14 minutes ago, sober4life said:

The true answer that a lot of people will say is the sad answer is I have no idea how to live in a stable way.

i have to admit that I was addicted to my manic episodes that lasted for months. I was superman. Who wouldnt want to have that kind of confidence. And I was the life of the party. But I spent money like crazy and lived a risky life that included substance abuse. So when  I ended up living in my truck I had enough and checked in to a hospital. So YES I wish I could have all the creativity and good vibrations without the consequences.

2 hours ago, Bbqdad said:

i have to admit that I was addicted to my manic episodes that lasted for months. I was superman. Who wouldnt want to have that kind of confidence. And I was the life of the party. But I spent money like crazy and lived a risky life that included substance abuse. So when  I ended up living in my truck I had enough and checked in to a hospital. So YES I wish I could have all the creativity and good vibrations without the consequences.

For now I have my life under control.  If I told you I had this figured out for me would you believe me?  Seeming ok is more important to me than actually being ok.  Nobody cares about me so if they can look at me and say he seems ok that will allow me to keep the life I have.  So I stay sober and keep the weight off and wear decent clothes and people will leave me alone.

45 minutes ago, sober4life said:

For now I have my life under control.  If I told you I had this figured out for me would you believe me?  Seeming ok is more important to me than actually being ok.  Nobody cares about me so if they can look at me and say he seems ok that will allow me to keep the life I have.  So I stay sober and keep the weight off and wear decent clothes and people will leave me alone.

What matters is what you want and it sounds like you  are managing things the way you want.

On 9/6/2021 at 4:17 PM, Bbqdad said:

yes, the lamictal is working and I dont have any side effects. i dont feel anything. no numbness. but the last manic episode i had was mild.

Can i ask does the lamictal get better as the dose goes up?

5 hours ago, isaac s said:

Can i ask does the lamictal get better as the dose goes up?

Yes I started at 20mg and worked my way up to 200mg. 

I am bipolar1 my episodes are normally sky-high and 6 months. This last one triggered by my Daddies' birthday lasted 2 weeks and on an awesome creative high.

It took me 3 years to find this dosage. During that time I had bipolar depression. I was down. I didn't BBQ and didn't feel like playing my guitar. But when this manic episode triggered I went to my pdoc and without an appointment I waited til someone cancelled and I got in to see her. Rita upped my dosage to 200mg right then and there.

Then two weeks later the sleepless nights stopped and I was in a better place.

Edited by Bbqdad