Loose stools on Remeron?

Dawne

Hello, I’m New to this forum and tried searching that above topic but no luck. Has anyone else had issues with loose stools/diarrhea on remeron? I’ve been taking various doses over to past 6-8months. I started at 1/2 of 7.5 then worked up to 15 over the course of a couple months. I then was feeling restless, sleep worse so went back down to 7.5 but it seems loose stools and diarrhea are getting worse. Sometimes right after I eat. It’s pretty embarrassing. Other than that the Med has been great; I sleep like a baby most nights (with the odd night of restless legs but magnesium seems to help). And, I think it does help my depression though not as much as I’d like. (I’ve been on other meds in the past like Effexor etc but unfortunately made me more anxious so had to quit).  I did experience a voracious appetite for that first 2-3 months but that’s gotten better (thankfully). I’m just really disappointed with the bm issues and thinking I may have to talk to my gp and taper off…. Any other experiences like mine? Thanks so much for any help or advice. 

I am so sorry that you are having these unhappy difficulties.  Sadly I have no experience with the medication, Remeron.  I hope that those members here who do have experience will see your post and respond to it in a kindly and helpful way.  When I was younger I had diarrhea from a C Diff infection.  And it was just awful.  It is heartbreaking that you are suffering!  I hope you get relief from this whole situation!

ive just started this med, been about 2 weeks now, I started straight on 15mg, being able to sleep has been so so great, I can usually sleep now straight away, before I was lying awake for hours and hours. I have noticed restless leg has worsened and I'm feeling a little more restless during the day though which i dont like so I might talk to my doc about that... I havent experienced diarrhea, I think its making me a little constipated.... it has changed from my normal bm which is another problem I dont wanna deal with. I dont think its helping with depression as much as id hoped either, and I think it is making me gain weight as well which ugh its just a big fat no no. but being able to sleep... I dont know how to help with your question really, I guess you have to ask yourself whether the bm discomforts are more troubling than being able to sleep is worth?

ill stick with this for a little longer and hope my body evens its self out, but if it makes me gain a lot of weight like it appears for most people than that will outweigh being able to sleep for me, esp since its not really helping with depression or anxiety either. I think its making me feel slow and sluggish as well. Do you find that?

Charlee; happy to hear you are sleeping better. That's a great benefit of Remeron. I too, have had sleep issues and with Remeron no worries. I do take, when needed, Magnesium a few times a week for restless legs and find it helps loads. I take Magnesium Citrate. You can always check with your pharmacist re what dosage they recommend. Sometimes I take one capsule, but a friend of mine with similar restless legs issues takes 2. I find it helps after a couple of nights. I also wanted to talk about the 'affect" on your depression. You mentioned that it hasn't helped much but also said you've only been on Remeron a couple weeks'.  I would recommend you give it 4-6 weeks to see the real affect  & to see if it truly makes a difference. Sometimes others around us, notice a change when we do not. Just something to keep in mind. I believe, most doctors recommend a 4-6 week period of adjustment on anti-depressants to see if there is a difference. (at least that's been my experience and this is my 3rd type of antidepressant). Also the weight gain; I too gained some weight on remeron. I think the first 2-4 months were the worse! I was actually waking up in the evening occasionally starving and wanting to make toast or a sandwich! I was hungry constantly! So, don't despair. After about 3-4 months, my appetite was not as voracious and things calmed down (i did gain some weight though combined with covid!). Now, I'm trying to work on eating better and not snacking at night or weekends, (and exercising) to try and get some weight off. I hope that helps a bit. I think the increase in appetite is pretty common on remeron (and some other antidepressants). I hope that helps.

@Dawne thanks for your reply 🙂 I think there is a difference actually, i'm taking 15mg rameron and 75mg of venlafaxine but i'm not feeling suicidal anymore so that's definitely a change, I think I am starting to feel overall better, maybe, perhaps. (I never want to feel too confident because when I admit i'm feeling good I tend to feel really bad again, like my brain refuses to let me feel good or something!) yeah i'll stick with it, I can eat better and workout to try and remove any gained weight. I'm taking magnesium as well. Have you ever found the sleepiness effect wearing off? I've noticed sometimes it takes me a little longer to fall asleep and I've been waking up a lot during the night too.

have your bm's been better?

I have posted this somewhere else and this will be the last time. I just want to make sure I reach a few people. I know this is not what you asked, BUT:- Something that worked for me was quitting all sugar and carbs. I fully know that we are all different and please don't think I am underestimating how you feel. I was depressed and anxious all my life. Now I am free of it. If you think you may be eating sweet things and carbs to boost your mood, just try it for one week. Your blood sugar will stop going up and down and your mood will lift and be steady. I must admit I would not believe it either, but I was desperate enough to try it. If it helps, look into keto and fasting. I have been off meds and depression and anxiety free for 10 months. Also I lost 85 pounds in 5 months and it's staying off. I'm selling nothing. I'm promoting nothing but the value of real food as opposed to processed rubbish. If this is of no use to you I sincerely apologize but I feel bad that I have not shared this on this forum before. I've been a member for so many years, just switching anti-depressants and never solving anything. Till now! Good luck. (John)

11 hours ago, houns339 said:

I have posted this somewhere else and this will be the last time. I just want to make sure I reach a few people. I know this is not what you asked, BUT:- Something that worked for me was quitting all sugar and carbs. I fully know that we are all different and please don't think I am underestimating how you feel. I was depressed and anxious all my life. Now I am free of it. If you think you may be eating sweet things and carbs to boost your mood, just try it for one week. Your blood sugar will stop going up and down and your mood will lift and be steady. I must admit I would not believe it either, but I was desperate enough to try it. If it helps, look into keto and fasting. I have been off meds and depression and anxiety free for 10 months. Also I lost 85 pounds in 5 months and it's staying off. I'm selling nothing. I'm promoting nothing but the value of real food as opposed to processed rubbish. If this is of no use to you I sincerely apologize but I feel bad that I have not shared this on this forum before. I've been a member for so many years, just switching anti-depressants and never solving anything. Till now! Good luck. (John)

I'm sort of anti-keto and a pro-carber, not processed food but I eat a lot of potato and veggies and legums. I don't eat meat, dairy, eggs or fish so keto wouldn't work for me. (I'm essentially a vegan) eating too much fat and oil I don't like either, and I don't really like avocado or whatever other high fat veg/foods there is. Its really great its worked for you but I don't think it would for me.

Ive done a lot of research into food and diet and everything (and i'm a scientist!) so my opinion would be that its worked for you because you've cut out all processed and junk foods. Which makes sense as to why you're feeling better. I always feel a lot better when I don't eat junk and other crap either. But for me, diet alone doesn't help, i've tried. My depression and anxiety is pretty bad, maybe ill never be able to feel better, I don't know, I struggle to care enough about myself to help and I think i believe I don't deserve help either - which is a topic ill have to explore in therapy when i'm ready for it.

I'm glad you've been able to make it work for you and that you don't suffer anymore 🙂

• 6 months later...
On 8/25/2021 at 10:52 PM, Dawne said:

Hello, I’m New to this forum and tried searching that above topic but no luck. Has anyone else had issues with loose stools/diarrhea on remeron? I’ve been taking various doses over to past 6-8months. I started at 1/2 of 7.5 then worked up to 15 over the course of a couple months. I then was feeling restless, sleep worse so went back down to 7.5 but it seems loose stools and diarrhea are getting worse. Sometimes right after I eat. It’s pretty embarrassing. Other than that the Med has been great; I sleep like a baby most nights (with the odd night of restless legs but magnesium seems to help). And, I think it does help my depression though not as much as I’d like. (I’ve been on other meds in the past like Effexor etc but unfortunately made me more anxious so had to quit).  I did experience a voracious appetite for that first 2-3 months but that’s gotten better (thankfully). I’m just really disappointed with the bm issues and thinking I may have to talk to my gp and taper off…. Any other experiences like mine? Thanks so much for any help or advice. 

Hello, Im suffering with it too ever since starting mirtazapine, its awlful its also given me a fatty liver, prediabetic and have gone from a size 10 to a size 20. I really need to come off it had 2 failed attempts and not sure how to proceed with it.