Sign in to follow this  
lizard

**New To Celexa And Lexapro? Welcome!**

Hello. My name is Sabrina and I'm 27. I've been on 20mg of Celexa for about three weeks now. So far it doesn't seem to be helping much. My anxiety may be a bit better, but I've had terrible lapses of anger and depression, though I don't know how much of that is the drug and how much of it is that I quit drinking a month ago, and I'm still dealing with the effects of quitting. Hmph. Well, I'm sticking with the Celexa for another month or so because if it does end upon working, the side effects aren't bad. A bit of digestive trouble and occasional headache, but that's a walk in the park compared to my experiences with Paxil and Remeron, particularly the former!

I see my doc in another week, so perhaps she

:shocked::hearts::shocked: ***HIYA***

Posting here as i am undecided whether to start taking the script i wz given a few days ago, Citalopram 20mg. Im really scared of the way it might make me feel worse, as the leaflet says not suitable if you have thoughts of self harm or suicide.

I was feeling that way at the weekend and my boyfriend happened to phone just in the middle of my downer, i know i shouldnt have answered the phone as i ended up crying and saying how i felt there was no one i could turn to for help. How right was i? He arrived over at my house later that day and said he couldnt cope with this kind of thing anymore and that he was ending our relationship. VERY THOUGHTFUL!!! He said coldly that i had to LET HIM GO. I guess three years with an unstable person is an achievement!!! I grovelled and pleaded with him not to leave me, which when your feeling so s***ty about yourself and just wanting to be out of the pain, is something else. I tried even saying that my boys would really miss him, but seems like ive chosen yet another man who looks after number 1. He did get emotional and said that he did still love me but that he couldnt cope with me getting depressed and finding it hard to go up the street etc, it was affecting his health.

My body is really sensitive to drugs and i usually try natural remedies or holistic healing methods to ease things but im getting tired of fighting the battle to be here. I also have to contend with chronic pain/fatigue, sleeplessness, high blood pressure, constant headaches, as it is, and have done for over 8years. I think the struggle of coping with that is getting tooo much for me and that is why the depression is not buried deep at all just now, it is so readily available to take over me. I also have to cope with running my house and looking after my two boys 17 &12 on my own, my boyfriend wouldnt commit to moving in as it would stop my benefits and then he would feel he had to support us!!! So ive been tiring to pretend im better than i am, by going to college one afternoon to learn holistic therapies, but i hate having to force myself to do it when i feel s**t and it makes my pain worse for the remainder of the week!!!

Due to all these health problems my relationship with my boyfreind of three years has suffered a lot ,more so in the last year, as i obviously was hiding it well to begin with, but now his nonacceptance of me is wearing thin, and actually is making me feel worse about myself which is a viscious cycle....

So back to the original question--do i risk feeling worse ,taking into account i have the chronic pain stuff, sleeplessness going on already?? which in hellish! would i be able to cope with the settling in period???

Or should i be looking for a natural alternative?? as i hate drugs...

Ps This is difficult for me as i hate moaning but at the same time im fed up of living a lie to make others around me feel ok.......Heres hoping for a better day 2moro :bump:

Thanks for reading this... :blush21:

Naturespirit, they have to put that warning on the medication. You certainly have a lot of things going on. I'm sorry about your boyfriend, but we need to concentrate on getting you feeling better. I think that it's a great thing if natural remedies can cure us, but sometimes they just aren't the right combination, or right strength. It sounds like they haven't been very effective in helping you to this point. Sometimes our depression is too deep for them, and we need stronger medications.

Did you discuss how your body reacts to medication with the prescribing physician? Did you describe how you've been feeling, and for how long? You make the ultimate decision on whether to actually take the medication, but if the prescribing doctor, is knowledgable about you and about the medications, you need to give them serious consideration. There are startup side effects, but you deserve to ultimately feel better, and so you might want to give them a try. Keep in contact with your doctor, he can change the dose up or down, depending on your reaction, or even change you to a different med.

If you've read thru this room, you'll note that many people have really been helped. Some have not, and needed to be changed.

Are you in therapy of any kind, to work on what's causing the depression?

Please let us know what you decide? I hope that you'll be better soon.

I am new here but not to the drug

Changed to lexapro about 2 years ago in the hope that it was better for my sex drive, not much improvement, if I'm on the meds i have no drive, if I'm off, I have heaps of drive but I'm unbearable to live with

this maybe just be me, but when youve been with a partner for along time and theyve gone through what most of us would say was your 'mad'episodes or 'black' episodes then you sometimes have an understanding when they get frustrated that you dont want sex or anything to do with it,if you 'appear'alot better and sound and say you feel alot better after the meds have began to work how on earth do you explain that sex is the last thing on your mind, and that its not them(dont forget you didnt want them before the meds either!!)its how the meds can make you feel! yes another good feeling depression can take from you,another embaressing conversation you have to bring up!this has got to be one of the worst yet unsupported illnesses you can go through,am i alone with this thought? :hearts:

Welcome, SHM! I'm sorry you're dealing with this difficult side-effect. For myself, I've always put controlling the depression as my top priority.

this has got to be one of the worst yet unsupported illnesses you can go through,am i alone with this thought?
lynndyloo, You're certainly not alone in feeling this way. But we're here to offer our support and understanding.

Hello everyone,

I just started 10mg of Lexapro this morning; my first time on any meds of this kind. I've been reading for the last hour about lexapro on several forums and I'll tell you I'm pretty freaked-out. Side effects, withdraw issues, etc. ; very little about the good things. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Hopefull, first of all I want to tell you that everyone is different and every medication works different on each individual. I am also taking 10 mg of Lexapro and I've been doing it for about 5 weeks. It was also my very first time on any kind of AD's. The very first pill was the hardest to take because you know that once you've started you can't really stop. It's something that you must go on with to see the results at the end. And all the other thoughts that comes with it: what's everybody going to think, why do I need this to make me feel better, is this really going to help, blah blah blah, and the list goes on. But I did take it and I did have some side effects for the first 2 weeks I think. I had dizziness, nausea, hot sweats, jaw clenching and insomnia. I think I've named them all...It was really hard in the beginning because all these side effects just made me more anxious and depressed. Quite a few times I thought about stopping the trial and just try to move on, on my own. But I stuck with it and after a few weeks I started feeling a little better, and a little more, and better every day. Now the anxiety is pretty much gone and I can concentrate, think clearly, and do the regular stuff that everyone else does! All the side effects are gone except that sometimes I don't get a full night sleep but most of the time I do. About the withdraw issues, I just think we have to take this one step at a time. Don't cross the bridges until you get there. It might not be as hard as some people say because you are not them, and it might be totally different with you. And if you do it the right way, which is very slowly weaning off, it might be very easy. So I hope this helped you and I wish you the best of luck! :hearts:

Edited by Izzy85

this maybe just be me, but when youve been with a partner for along time and theyve gone through what most of us would say was your 'mad'episodes or 'black' episodes then you sometimes have an understanding when they get frustrated that you dont want sex or anything to do with it,if you 'appear'alot better and sound and say you feel alot better after the meds have began to work how on earth do you explain that sex is the last thing on your mind, and that its not them(dont forget you didnt want them before the meds either!!)its how the meds can make you feel! yes another good feeling depression can take from you,another embaressing conversation you have to bring up!this has got to be one of the worst yet unsupported illnesses you can go through,am i alone with this thought? :hearts:

Thats exactly how I feel Lynndyloo

Lizard, its not my priority, but it is something that as a relative newlywed is very frustrating, and without going into details (which are way too embarrassing for here), is part of a reason for the depression

I'm sorry, SHM.

Have you ever considered adding a low dose of Wellbutrin? Just a thought, as it's helped some people with their sex drive and response. I know of some who also skip an occasional dose of their AD in "anticipation". Of course, only with your doc's OK.

Hello. My name is Patti and I live in London (UK) and I have been directed to this part of the forum because I have just started taking Escitalopram. I am 55 and going through the menopause and every morning I awake with an awful feeings of doom and dread. It gets so bad that It hurts my tummy and I have to get up and have a coffee, then slowly the feelings ebbs away. .My Doctor has prescribed citalopram and after taking the first tablet, it made me feel a lot worse. I dont know whether to continue or not. I have read that they make you feel worse but I am concerned. I would really value any thoughts and advice from other people who have taken this medication please. Many thanks.

SILVERFOX, they do make you feel worse in the beginning because it's the side effects. Give it a few more weeks and you'll start feeling better. You'll have some bad days and some good days and then more good days than bad days! Remember the night is at it's darkest before the sun rises! :hearts:

SILVERFOX, they do make you feel worse in the beginning because it's the side effects. Give it a few more weeks and you'll start feeling better. You'll have some bad days and some good days and then more good days than bad days! Remember the night is at it's darkest before the sun rises! :hearts:

Thank you for your reply. I was also wondering if there is a specific time of day which is better to take them? I could take one late evening. The I would hopefully be asleep and not experience so much of the side effects. I would appreciate your thoughts please?

Medication works different on each individual. I find myself having a hard time falling asleep when I take my Lexapro in the late evening so I take it in the morning when I get up. Also I'm afraid if you still have side effects that it'll keep you awake all night if you take your medication before going to bed...I really don't know! Good luck with that!

I am new to the forum so I dont even know if this is the correct way to do this. I am also new to celexa, after being on Paxil for awhile I stopped it abruptly because of the weight gain. I have an eating disorder and craving food made the disorder harder to fight. So I was wondering is there anyone who has gained weight on this drug. I am very nervous about starting this drug...So any advice would be helpful

Thanks

Welcome, Swimmergirl!

I gained just a little on Celexa at first, but nowhere near what I gained on Paxil. Eating healthy, watching the carbs/junk food, and exercise helps keep the gain to a minimum. Lexapro and Cymbalta also seem to be weight-neutral for some people. I've heard of some members who've added on BuSpar or Topamax to help fight weight gain. For me, fighting the depression has always been my number one priority.

Let us know how you do on the Celexa! I wish you well!

Welcome Lona!

I'm on Lexapro as well. People often feel the effects fairly quickly, and it's tough to predict exactly how you'll feel adjusting to the meds.

Will you be living in Spain permanently now?

KA

Hi Everyone,

My husband started celexa 8 days ago. He is really struggling, especially at work where he is managing a project with deadlines, not enough help, lots of expectations, etc. He is having a hard time concentrating, feels disorganized, isn't productive, and so on. For those of you on celexa, I'd love to get your recollections of how long it took for the medication to begin kicking in. We know 8 days is not long. But you know, when you're feeling really bad, each day feels like an eternity.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.

Whiskers

Welcome Lona!

I'm on Lexapro as well. People often feel the effects fairly quickly, and it's tough to predict exactly how you'll feel adjusting to the meds.

Will you be living in Spain permanently now?

KA

Yes I will...but I hope to come back to the states as often as possible. Hey KeepingAwake how long have you been on Lexapro and what dosage? I have noticed that I am twitching a bit...my foot really. You know when people shake their foot while they are in a relaxed position? Huh? Don

Hi Everyone,

My husband started celexa 8 days ago. He is really struggling, especially at work where he is managing a project with deadlines, not enough help, lots of expectations, etc. He is having a hard time concentrating, feels disorganized, isn't productive, and so on. For those of you on celexa, I'd love to get your recollections of how long it took for the medication to begin kicking in. We know 8 days is not long. But you know, when you're feeling really bad, each day feels like an eternity.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.

Whiskers

I sorry I am not sure of the process myself...I had taken celexa a long time ago when I was 21 and now I am 28. For me it didn

Yes I will...but I hope to come back to the states as often as possible. Hey KeepingAwake how long have you been on Lexapro and what dosage? I have noticed that I am twitching a bit...my foot really. You know when people shake their foot while they are in a relaxed position? Huh? Don

Hello there :hearts:

I'm new to the board and wanted to introduce myself. I was diagnosed with GAD about six months ago, and have been on lexapro every since. That's a bit of me in a tiny, tiny nutshell.

Hello there :hearts:

I'm new to the board and wanted to introduce myself. I was diagnosed with GAD about six months ago, and have been on lexapro every since. That's a bit of me in a tiny, tiny nutshell.

Welcome to the forums, and our room. Pull up a chair, put your feet up, and make yourself comfortable :bump: . I'm looking forward to learning about you.