Hygiene

Hi, I'm new, this is my first post.  I can't bring myself to shower.  It seems like climbing Mt. Everest.  Does anyone have this issue?  What do you do?

Edited by SusanGA
comma

Welcome new friend.

Many members here have similar problems.

Many people climb Mt. Everest.

Depression does play some awful tricks on our psyches.

My approach is to counteract the debilitating effects of depression with clever metaphors.

Are you in charge of your hygiene or is Old Man Depression?

You can pretend you're the greatest mountain climber/ shower taker the world has ever seen.

Chances are you will probably and maybe feel better after your heroic trip up and down Mt. 🚿.

Keep posting your concerns and you will find it to be very cathartic.

Oscar

Yes showering cleaning my house getting dressed any self care really, Really gross but when i was severely depressed i could go a few day, i know but it just felt like something i didnt care about at all. This is while self isolating too 😞

I hate showering. My ocd makes it really draining. I find having a wash at the sink to be easier and I do that some days instead. On other days I allow myself a day off. It's just such a struggle sometimes and there are so many other things to do. I only have so much energy.... 

I get so frustrated by how long it takes me to do everything in the shower,  then dry my hair, put on make up, wipe around the shower area and brush my teeth.... 😬 

@SusanGAAre there specific issues or thoughts you have when thinking about showering? There may be some practical tips or ideas people can share on this... 

Edited by Nightjar

I use a reward system to get through everything hard.  If you do this you can have this I say.  It can be different things but pushing myself until the end to get the reward makes me feel a lot better.  It makes me feel like I accomplished something.

Hello Good People!

Thank you for all your support, ideas, and kindness.

I showered finally and it was no big deal.  Just the thought of it was what was getting in the way.  My hair is long and anticipating the blowdrying and styling is draining.  I'm letting my hair  airdry.  I think a reasonable goal is to get in the shower to wash daily and my hair every two or three days.  It's just working to get there one day at a time.

Welcome!  You got some good replies but I just wanted to add if you ever really can't get yourself to shower but you want to freshen up perhaps you can use a baby wipe.  It won't replace showering but it is better than nothing on really hard days.  

There are reasons why people take showers or bathe usually. It's because smelling nice makes normal people want to date you. Well, a normal person usually wants to date someone who is intelligent, nice, funny, financially secure, smelling pleasantly, and/or physically attractive. Also, smelling nice makes employers more likely to hire you. Smelling nice makes people feel at ease around you to some extent. Otherwise, your survival instinct is likely going to make you clean your body eventually anyway. Even though there are people who have issues like depression, smelling stinky is normally an unpleasant experience. They build up whatever motivation to maintain their hygiene. Because they live in a society with standards. A society with people who judge others. Your hygiene can make the people guess how much wealth you have. Which is why normal people take care of their hygiene.

Edited by OvercomeProblems

I remember when I worked at fast food and I would have to work all week.  I'd wash the uniform once a week.  I would show up wearing a dirty uniform and hurry up and figure out a way I could get dirty that day so I could blame it on that.  A lot of the time I would have ketchup and mustard all over me all week.

Edited by sober4life

Im having this issue now since working from home it’s easier to just work in or near my bed. If I don’t shower, I won’t do wet wipes or wash at the sink or brush my teeth either. I feel bad cos almost everyday I’ll tell myself ok I’ll wake up at 8am to shower n 8:30 I’m still in bed and I’ll be near my bed the whole day as in get out only when nature calls to eat etc. then go back straight to bed. I guess I don’t see the point of showering and not sure what type of reward system to use. @sober4life Any tips or examples on your reward system that u use..?

Edited by Depressedgurl007

I admit when I was in my late teens through my early twenties I didn't take proper care of myself like showering and cleaning my house very much. I was extremely depressed and had low engery, sleeping problems, no self love towards myself and very low self esteem as well. My mother one day told me to try each day to shower  taking it slow. 

Then I did what she said and things are now 100% better for me as I kept doing it taking care of my body, showing every day showing myself self love. I've been cleaning more and now I like things to stay clean, organized and nice looking. Mess REALLY bothers me. My self esteem improved  as well really well over the years and now I'm very happy how my life is now currently and all the support I have as well.