Grimness of 2020/2021

I don’t need to go in-depth on everything that’s been happening over the last year and a half, everyone’s been living through it. Covid + it’s deviants are still a huge issue with no end in sight despite the vaccines. Climate change has started to really show an impact (over quite a number of years already tbh, but just seems to be more noticed recently) with the drastic heatwaves, droughts and fires. A small town in BC, Canada had 90% of their homes burned to the ground in under 2 days. How flipping crazy is that.. in such a short time those people’s lives are ruined. 

These are the main 2 worries (Covid & Climate Change) that have been constantly bogging me down. I’ve been doing really well at managing my depression over the last year, and honestly thought I wouldn’t be here again. But time and again, disasters striking all around pull me back to reality of how awful it is to live. Not sure if the news is just showing more devastating situations, but hearing about cranes crushing people, apartment complexes collapsing and a bloody massive unmarked gravesite of indigenous children found just is a lot to take in. It’s constant, it’s never ending.. and is getting worse.

I feel like I shouldn’t be complaining either, because I’m not directly effected from these events. Even so though, how is anyone here able to keep sane? 

Edited by Almha

The things you mention wear me down too and demoralize me a lot.  They cast a dark cloud over everything.

The only thing that helps somewhat is remembering that journalism tends to focus on negative events because positive events are so common.  The vast, vast majority of apartment buildings do not collapse.  The vast, vast majority of aircraft do not crash.  The vast majority of trains do not derail daily.  And on and on.

Bad things make the news because they are relatively rare compared to good things. 

I never watch the news and hear something like this:  "Today 99% of cars, trucks, planes, boats, ships and trains were not involved in an accident.  Today most parts of the earth did not suffer a devastating earthquake, fire, landslide or flood.  Today 99% of students did not commit a violent felony at school.  Today 99% of the earth's population did not commit a violent felony.

Since I am so burdened by dark thoughts I have to make a conscious effort to remind myself that "bad" makes the news because it is relatively rare in relation to good.  That is only thing that sometimes gets me through the day. 

Of course I suffer from clinical depression which has sort of hard-wired me to look at everything and think "could be better but isn't better."  To try to counter this, I have little signs posted all over that read:  "Could be worse, but isn't worse, thank goodness."

Sure hope you find something that helps you.  Often what helps one person doesn't help another or might even make them feel worse.  I know this from sad personal experience. 

My heart goes out to you!

Really appreciate your response Epictetus, thank you. I agree, with all the negativity that’s broadcast on the news I should avoid watching it as much as possible. Sadly Twitter and people in general like to talk about awful life events as well, which can make it quite difficult to avoid. 

That makes sense with how there’s probably more positive/neutral situations happening in the world than not, or at least I’d like to imagine. Will try to have a different outlook, you make a very good point.

Likewise, I hope you’re doing well 

i just try not to watch that stuff i do agree with the above about not broadcasting good news makes alot of sense alot of good in the world.

Edited by isaac s

On 7/19/2021 at 3:49 AM, Almha said:

I don’t need to go in-depth on everything that’s been happening over the last year and a half, everyone’s been living through it. Covid + it’s deviants are still a huge issue with no end in sight despite the vaccines. Climate change has started to really show an impact (over quite a number of years already tbh, but just seems to be more noticed recently) with the drastic heatwaves, droughts and fires. A small town in BC, Canada had 90% of their homes burned to the ground in under 2 days. How flipping crazy is that.. in such a short time those people’s lives are ruined. 

These are the main 2 worries (Covid & Climate Change) that have been constantly bogging me down. I’ve been doing really well at managing my depression over the last year, and honestly thought I wouldn’t be here again. But time and again, disasters striking all around pull me back to reality of how awful it is to live. Not sure if the news is just showing more devastating situations, but hearing about cranes crushing people, apartment complexes collapsing and a bloody massive unmarked gravesite of indigenous children found just is a lot to take in. It’s constant, it’s never ending.. and is getting worse.

I feel like I shouldn’t be complaining either, because I’m not directly effected from these events. Even so though, how is anyone here able to keep sane? 

You have every right to complain.  Why call it that though?  You are stating how you feel, and you have every right-- esp on here!  I'll just speak for myself, I feel exactly how you do.  In fact I think it's safe to say most of the world, particularly because of the pandemic, are feeling the same way you are.

How do I cope?  I have a therapist, and a pastor I can call/talk to.  I really don't pay much attention to the news, I try to stay informed but it triggers me sooooo much!

I try to pray for others, next moment I'm yelling at God, "Why'd you let that happen?  What's the point!?  Hello?  Hello!"

I come on here, great place to come on here.  I rant here, to myself, to God, to the universe.  "HELLO!?"  LOL

Then I read your post, and I definitely don't feel alone.  Almha, thank YOU 🙂

The weight of the world's issues also casts a shadow over my mood sometimes. I'm not really sure how i cope with it besides distraction which i know isnt really the healthiest method, but sometimes it's all we have. You're definitely not alone in feeling this, so much of it just feels unsolvable. I try to take comfort in those around me and ground myself in my own surroundings instead of worrying about the world as a whole.