What does everyone do for work?

On 7/12/2021 at 7:41 PM, JD4010 said:

I freaking LOVE boredom, after decades of grinding anxiety. I often see this dude my age pushing shopping carts from the parking lot back into the grocery store. That looks perfect from my standpoint.

I've done boring, I worked as a checkout girl, a cashier at macdonalds, and as a library assistant at the city library. The first two were in high school and made me realise I wanted more from my work. Boring is ok sometimes when you're really stressed but I found in the ended I hated all of these jobs because I couldn't take the abuse and disrespect from the customers (macdonalds was the worst) and the mundanity of the work, every single day was the same, my opinions and thoughts didn't matter, a robot could easily replace us in those jobs.. and now as I try to get myself into the science world I struggle with anxiety and confidence and constant thoughts of "im not good enough/not smart enough/can't do it". So in my working life I cant win, I die of boredem at the easy jobs and then my mind reassures me im not good enough for the harder ones. Can't win

I'm a manager at Taco Bell. I love the people I work with but lately I've been hating life a lot. So I'm not sure if I can say I'm glad to be there.

On 7/13/2021 at 9:53 PM, Charlee said:

I used to talk to our grocery workers when we were in lockdown, it was really stressful and scary for them, I felt really grateful for the workers used to thank them, even though im not sure if they wanted the thanks because they were just doing their jobs... they probably wished they didnt have to be there, im not sure how many of them would of had a choice given its low pay work 😕 I cant stand people who look down on them though, they're usually the most entitled ungrateful privileged people and I've no room in my life for people who can't understand the "seemingly meaningless" jobs are essential and keep the world turning.

I know a few of them, and they were scared, and stressed. I agree with you every job is important, and those who can't see that, have problems with themselves, and acceptance in my personal opinion..

On 7/13/2021 at 10:15 PM, Charlee said:

I've done boring, I worked as a checkout girl, a cashier at macdonalds, and as a library assistant at the city library. The first two were in high school and made me realise I wanted more from my work. Boring is ok sometimes when you're really stressed but I found in the ended I hated all of these jobs because I couldn't take the abuse and disrespect from the customers (macdonalds was the worst) and the mundanity of the work, every single day was the same, my opinions and thoughts didn't matter, a robot could easily replace us in those jobs.. and now as I try to get myself into the science world I struggle with anxiety and confidence and constant thoughts of "im not good enough/not smart enough/can't do it". So in my working life I cant win, I die of boredem at the easy jobs and then my mind reassures me im not good enough for the harder ones. Can't win

im sorry people treated you badly. my friend worked at McDonalds  and it was tough work, and he said the same, that people don't respect you and treat you like you are nothing. I've done customer service so I can relate. But don't let people define who you are. I know plenty of people who work in customer service and some others who own their own restaurants (some of which are very wealth and never even went to college) so I'm telling you be confident in yourself dont let others define you. The fact that they treated you poorly, shows the type of people they are.. For a while I worked as a janitor too so my parents always told me to respect every job in this planet.., and I'm sure people looked down on me but I didn't care, it paid the bills.

If you want to get into the science world, don't allow anxiety to get to you, go after your goals and dreams...

I am retired.  I spent 40 years working in IT, mostly on mainframes.  Was laid off in Feb 2020.  In December 2020, I turned 62 and decided I didn’t want to start over again.

10 minutes ago, Smcine said:

I am retired.  I spent 40 years working in IT, mostly on mainframes.  Was laid off in Feb 2020.  In December 2020, I turned 62 and decided I didn’t want to start over again.

Ahhh, the halcyon days of COBOL, FORTRAN and C, I miss them so. 😁

I'm on disability but I used to volunteer with the LGBT community but the organization I volunteered with recently closed.  I've been looking for something else, hopefully something will turn up.  

On 7/16/2021 at 3:56 PM, Smcine said:

I have decided similarly, except I wish there were some path towards self-sufficiency.

There's the notion of "discouraged worker" that I never really understood. I may be discouraged, but still need to make ends meet somehow without being independently wealthy or relying on family money...

I'm currently unemployed at this time and not working, since I'm  on my country's disability program. I did work when I was 22 - 23 years old though had to quit due to a mental breakdown due to mistreatment at my work place. I however keep busy by doing housework for my place and my parents home, babysit my families dogs and cats occasionally then I make art and craft projects in my spear time.

Right now planing to write my first book so I'm getting everything organized to start writing soon.