What does everyone do for work?

What field are you in/how do you spend your days while earning?

I'll go first; I recently completed my Masters in Biomedical science and im applying for a PhD in the same field, my particular area of focus is heart failure since it is essentially a death sentence when you're diagnosed and I want to figure out how to treat it and overall improve the lives of those suffering. 

Im interested in this area because my dad was diagnosed and died 5 years later (the 5 year survival rate once diagnosed is 40-50%.. which is worse than most cancer diagnoses), also the heart as an organ intrigues me to no end because, honestly I dont know, I just remember learning about its anatomy and functions when I was younger and ive been enthralled ever since. 

Obviously no one needs to go into such detail, but just out of interest, what do you guys do? 

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2021 at 10:54 AM, Charlee said:

What field are you in/how do you spend your days while earning?

I'll go first; I recently completed my Masters in Biomedical science and im applying for a PhD in the same field, my particular area of focus is heart failure since it is essentially a death sentence when you're diagnosed and I want to figure out how to treat it and overall improve the lives of those suffering. 

Im interested in this area because my dad was diagnosed and died 5 years later (the 5 year survival rate once diagnosed is 40-50%.. which is worse than most cancer diagnoses), also the heart as an organ intrigues me to no end because, honestly I dont know, I just remember learning about its anatomy and functions when I was younger and ive been enthralled ever since. 

Obviously no one needs to go into such detail, but just out of interest, what do you guys do? 

You have such a great ambition! 

I don't really do anything..just taking whatever contract jobs that come along. Like currently doing assessment for grants and having to deal with lotsa people who got their grants rejected and it's a sad job to deal with such people really. I don't even have the communication skills for this and it's mentally tiring. The pay is very good but I can't wait for the contract to be over. That's why I guess I feel I'm not doing anything worthy in life since I don't even know what I want. 

Edited by Depressedgurl007

Tech. I worked like a demon to get into it - I just loved, and still love, computers.

Plus I love the whole nerd vibe.

OTOH, right now is a crazy time to be in tech because Russian mafia. But that's a story for another day and another thread.

On 7/5/2021 at 2:52 PM, iWantRope said:

Recently been made unemployed.

currently thats me as well, im in the inbetween, and dealing with a lot that holds me back from working at the uni right now while i wait to here about my app 🤷‍♀️

Posted (edited)

I was a manager in a transport agency for 32.5 years. I retired back in May at the suggestion of the head honcho. My performance was getting poorer by the day. They gave me an "out," for which I am very grateful. I was able to retire early and still receive my retirement $$$. The alternative was imminent failure and getting fired...with no access to my retirement account.

I don't receive enough to sustain my meager lifestyle (I live in a dump, have no internet or cable, and generally eat cereal/fruit for most meals). I'm looking for something else to provide more income, but at the age of 61, finding employment is quite a challenge.

Edited by JD4010

On 7/7/2021 at 8:35 PM, ladysmurf said:

i didn't follow the field i wanted to because of this illness, and i never will..it's too late now..

I worry this is/will happen to me too, im sorry for your loss ❤️

On 7/7/2021 at 2:02 AM, Another Statistic said:

Tech. I worked like a demon to get into it - I just loved, and still love, computers.

Plus I love the whole nerd vibe.

haha I loved the nerd aspect of science as well 😄

On 7/7/2021 at 1:39 AM, Depressedgurl007 said:

You have such a great ambition! 

I don't really do anything..just taking whatever contract jobs that come along. Like currently doing assessment for grants and having to deal with lotsa people who got their grants rejected and it's a sad job to deal with such people really. I don't even have the communication skills for this and it's mentally tiring. The pay is very good but I can't wait for the contract to be over. That's why I guess I feel I'm not doing anything worthy in life since I don't even know what I want. 

well, you're doing what you can, at least youre getting compensated with pay! A downside to my ambition is ive been poor and living week to week for a very long time, and if i do get to do a PhD it'l be at least 4 more years before ill be able to make real money and be able to afford to live the life I want. That being said, I know money doesnt really mean anything when you dont like what you do 😕

On 7/7/2021 at 5:59 PM, JD4010 said:

I don't receive enough to sustain my meager lifestyle (I live in a dump, have no internet or cable, and generally eat cereal/fruit for most meals). I'm looking for something else to provide more income, but at the age of 61, finding employment is quite a challenge.

This is a fear of mine and i know too many people that are living in your situation, sorry its come to this 😕 offering support from afar

Last job was solar technician installing solar, it was ok sometimes i didnt choose the job just a regular dump job im hoping to have some say in what i do now that im on meds never had that.

1 hour ago, Charlee said:

well, you're doing what you can, at least youre getting compensated with pay! A downside to my ambition is ive been poor and living week to week for a very long time, and if i do get to do a PhD it'l be at least 4 more years before ill be able to make real money and be able to afford to live the life I want. That being said, I know money doesnt really mean anything when you dont like what you do 😕

I hope u do get your PhD! It’s hard to motivate yourself but if u at least tried, it’s better than to regret for not trying. I wanted to get CPA for accounting to be a Certified Public Accountant and took it twice n failed twice but I never regret trying. 

I dunno if it’s possible to live the life I want. I’m used to the stress from Monday to Saturday and the relaxation on Sunday makes up for it I guess. But then Monday come again and the cycle goes. 

Own a towing yard and repair shop with a business partner.Just started getting into the repo business 2 weeks ago,have two great repo guys so far and making the banks and credit unions happy getting vehicles repossessed which the debtors owe money on

On 7/11/2021 at 1:18 AM, idkusername465 said:

I work in an office scanning and indexing documents all day. It's boring but boring is good.

I freaking LOVE boredom, after decades of grinding anxiety. I often see this dude my age pushing shopping carts from the parking lot back into the grocery store. That looks perfect from my standpoint.

On 7/11/2021 at 9:28 AM, AllisonM said:

Own a towing yard and repair shop with a business partner.Just started getting into the repo business 2 weeks ago,have two great repo guys so far and making the banks and credit unions happy getting vehicles repossessed which the debtors owe money on

Let me know if you come across any cool old AMC vehicles. Over the years, I drove 3 Gremlins, a Pacer, and an Ambassador.

1 hour ago, JD4010 said:

Let me know if you come across any cool old AMC vehicles. Over the years, I drove 3 Gremlins, a Pacer, and an Ambassador.

The repo cars get picked up taken to the auction,we can't sell them.Did repo a new 2021 Mercedes Benz lately,young kid bought it new and only made 3 payments on it.When my repo guy went to get it in the open,would not hand over the key fobs at first.Bank notified us sending the paperwork.

7 hours ago, JD4010 said:

I freaking LOVE boredom, after decades of grinding anxiety. I often see this dude my age pushing shopping carts from the parking lot back into the grocery store. That looks perfect from my standpoint.

Ive thought the same sometimes, just not absolutely nothing to do like a standing security guard i couldnt handle absolute nothing, but pushing carts dosnt sound bad 🙂

I work as an unemployed 😄

Otherwise logistics, transport and the like... went to school for it.

Worked on a very easy low-grade job for "relaxation" purposes.

On 7/11/2021 at 12:30 AM, Charlee said:

I worry this is/will happen to me too, im sorry for your loss ❤️

it's okay.....life goes on...that's the way i see it...maybe it was not meant to be for me..

15 hours ago, isaac s said:

Ive thought the same sometimes, just not absolutely nothing to do like a standing security guard i couldnt handle absolute nothing, but pushing carts dosnt sound bad 🙂

its an important job, pushing carts., every job is important....don't forget that people who worked at the grocery store during the pandemic how important their roles were...without them we would have no food in our houses... I don't understand why certain people look down on people who work in that job...they obviously have self-esteem issues or something..

7 hours ago, ladysmurf said:

don't forget that people who worked at the grocery store during the pandemic how important their roles were...without them we would have no food in our houses... I don't understand why certain people look down on people who work in that job...they obviously have self-esteem issues or something..

I used to talk to our grocery workers when we were in lockdown, it was really stressful and scary for them, I felt really grateful for the workers used to thank them, even though im not sure if they wanted the thanks because they were just doing their jobs... they probably wished they didnt have to be there, im not sure how many of them would of had a choice given its low pay work :/  I cant stand people who look down on them though, they're usually the most entitled ungrateful privileged people and I've no room in my life for people who can't understand the "seemingly meaningless" jobs are essential and keep the world turning.