Welbutrin and Sertraline

MikeG

Good Morning:

My doctor and I have decided to add a low dose Sertraline, 25 mg, to the Wellbutrin ( 150 mg XL daily ) prescription which I've been taking for some time. The Sertraline  intended use is aimed at anxiety and mood calmer, particularly as an aid for sleeping. I have a few questions for the community:

Has anyone tried this combination?

Success with it?

If you have been taking Wellbutrin regularly, does the the length of time expected for the Sertraline to work lessen?

Thanks for your input.

im on Sertraline 100mg but started on 25mg, interesting your doc has prescribed it for mood calming and sleepiness because ive found it makes my mind race, doesn't help with depression or anxiety and my insomnia is pretty bad 🙄🤷🏼 but maybe the low dose and addition of Wellbutrin will give you a different effect. My insomnia has only gotten bad in the high doses. 

I have been on wellbutrin 100 mg for about 5 yrs now. At that time I was also taking prozac generic.  I went to a new medical PA and she asked to do the genetic testing for mental health drugs.  It showed that I could not take wellbutrin in high doses, so she lowered it to 75 mg and changed me over to sertraline 100 mg.  About 2 yrs ago , I went into a very severe depression & thought of suicide.  I found a psych doctor who now manages my meds.  New doctor changed me to sertraline 100 mg which has worked great for the 2 yrs. I take the wellbutrin in the morning, the sertraline & amitriptylin 50 mg at bedtime.  She added the amitriptylin because I have difficulty falling asleep. 

@nojoy

Interesting. You had the genetic testing, but only on mental health drugs. I had the genetic testing done and it covered a very large amount of meds beyond just anti-depreeants. They also offered lifetime additional testing of any drug I get put on that is new from when I was tested. I'm allowed 5 new drugs to be tested against before I would have to pay some minor fee. Like you I am also a poor metaboilizer of Wellbutrin. I take 75mg SR to keep the dose at its lowest. Only to help offset the affects of Cymbalta. It doesn't work great, but it helps. I was also told to take Cymbalta at bedtime to offset the drowsy affect. That doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

From what I can find out Sertraline is a two way street. Insomnia - yes, insomnia - no; racing mind yes, calm effect yes.

25 mg works for me, although has me feeling out of sorts quite a bit of the time. I can only imagine what 100 mg would feel like. Don't forget, I'm also on Bupropion.

Edited by MikeG
forgot to include other information