Charlee

What do you do when you feel really bad?

When depression is hitting you like like the London blitz, when you cant focus or think about anything else except how truly shit you feel? When knowing what has triggered it isn't enough to remove the feelings of the heaviness of sadness and disappear that is weighing on you? I know what has triggered me right now but I feel really bad. What do you do to ease your depression? is there anything that helps? I cant read atm because I cant focus on anything other than this horrible feeling, I know it will pass, but in the mean time 😞 how do you handle the waves of mental illness? Some days i'm ok, some I'm so anxious I cant function, or so depressed that even spending time with my cat doesn't help, some days I'm both equally anxious and depressed, today seems to be just depression, a little anxious but overrun with depression. 

When I was incredibly depressed I would take a lot of long hot baths 🛀. I would literally sit in my tub for like 3 hours and just refill it when the water would get cold. For some reason that would help me a lot more then anything else. I also have read that hot baths are on a list of things that people recommend when you’re just really stressed and anxious. 

even if you don’t have a bath or don’t like them I think it could help to look up ways to do some self care and google what activities can help you with this and even if the list is full of cliches just pick one! For my brother it was walking or just soaking up sun in the yard for an hour.

when you’re at a low point and feeling really anxious and depressed sometimes it’s truly the small things that can help bring some relief. Maybe it won’t cure what you’re feeling but it can help you with coping and feeling a tad bit better :). 

15 minutes ago, June322 said:

When I was incredibly depressed I would take a lot of long hot baths 🛀. I would literally sit in my tub for like 3 hours and just refill it when the water would get cold. For some reason that would help me a lot more then anything else. I also have read that hot baths are on a list of things that people recommend when you’re just really stressed and anxious. 

even if you don’t have a bath or don’t like them I think it could help to look up ways to do some self care and google what activities can help you with this and even if the list is full of cliches just pick one! For my brother it was walking or just soaking up sun in the yard for an hour.

when you’re at a low point and feeling really anxious and depressed sometimes it’s truly the small things that can help bring some relief. Maybe it won’t cure what you’re feeling but it can help you with coping and feeling a tad bit better :). 

That's a great suggestion. I would really like to do this if I had a tub. 

For me napping works. It resets my brain. I just wish I didn't have such a hectic schedule because I would have liked to do this often.

Too bad I sometimes find it to nap properly because I am constantly worried I will oversleep and be late for something. 😞  

Posted (edited)

When I'm really, really bad it's hard to do much of anything to make me feel better. Walking helps me a lot but if I feel terrible, seeing people while I'm out makes me feel worse.. It's like it amplifies the bad feelings.

So, I guess when it's bad I hole up with youtube and DF until things ease a bit. I usually do this for a day and then try to get back to some routine again.. I also close windows so that I can't hear gossiping outside and sometimes go to the back of the house where there are less people. 

Hearing from people here at DF is helpful because it is 99.9% supportive and I need that when I feel awful. 

Family members will 99.9% make me feel worse so I tend to avoid them when I feel down. The last thing I need is having to explain myself to someone who doesn't understand and can't do anything to help. 

Edited by Nightjar

I hide in my room, listen to music and dream away. ( I read an article where it said sad songs work better than upbeat songs )

Or just cleaning around the house but it just my OCD doing.. Eating delicious foods help boost my mood too, more relaxing when you eat alone.

33 minutes ago, sober4life said:

Well when I'm very depressed I stay in bed and try to sleep.  Maybe my brain is offering me a vacation from hell.

What you said. I just woke up from a three hour nap. I had all three cats sleeping with me. I wanted to go right back to dreamland but I promised my daughter I'd mow her lawn today. Her mom (my ex) isn't around so it's a good time to be at my former house (that I'm still paying for).

But yeah, napping is my usual way of dealing with the depths of depression. At least when I'm asleep, I don't have to feel the depression.

Thank you all ❤️  its really comforting getting advice from people who get it rather than just being told by your mum that "its a mindset" ..... (I know family is coming from a place of caring, but being told things like that just does not help)

I ended up binging a crime show, dark shows with a lot of death and suffering seem to help for some reason, the bath idea is really good and I do have a bath but don't tend to take them because Im so fidgety and get bored 😄 I will try it @June322

I have tried to take walks to help bad feelings but I don't like being out in public when i'm feeling terrible either @Nightjar

Napping sometimes works but sometimes trying to nap makes my brain alight with everything I want to forget  @sober4life @JD4010 

Thanks for responding ❤️ 

16 hours ago, Charlee said:

Thank you all ❤️  its really comforting getting advice from people who get it rather than just being told by your mum that "its a mindset" ..... (I know family is coming from a place of caring, but being told things like that just does not help)

I ended up binging a crime show, dark shows with a lot of death and suffering seem to help for some reason, the bath idea is really good and I do have a bath but don't tend to take them because Im so fidgety and get bored 😄 I will try it @June322

I have tried to take walks to help bad feelings but I don't like being out in public when i'm feeling terrible either @Nightjar

Napping sometimes works but sometimes trying to nap makes my brain alight with everything I want to forget  @sober4life @JD4010 

Thanks for responding ❤️ 

I turn on a fan when I'm napping and concentrate on the steady hum. I pretend I'm on a plane flying above the clouds. That seems to work fairly well for getting me to sleep. But then again, I'm a rather odd duck.

1 hour ago, JD4010 said:

I turn on a fan when I'm napping and concentrate on the steady hum. I pretend I'm on a plane flying above the clouds. That seems to work fairly well for getting me to sleep. But then again, I'm a rather odd duck.

I have a fan running on both sides of my bed every time I lay down.  I have to do it.

4 hours ago, sober4life said:

I have a fan running on both sides of my bed every time I lay down.  I have to do it.

5 hours ago, JD4010 said:

oh no white noise is terrible for me, Im so sensitive to noise I dont know how anyone can sleep with fans on 😳

Well there's no such thing as quiet for me.  There's never been quiet on it's own.  That sound calms my mind so at best laying and hearing that sound is the best I can get.  

8 hours ago, sober4life said:

Not at night, but during the daytime I have the heater or air purifier running, or I listen to white noise track on my computer. It's probably awful for the ears but it blocks out a lot of unpleasant things...

On 5/8/2021 at 2:51 PM, JD4010 said:

But yeah, napping is my usual way of dealing with the depths of depression. At least when I'm asleep, I don't have to feel the depression.

I would second this. If you can manage it, sleep is definitely a respite. I pretty much look forward to it nightly or when I'm able to take a nap.

Even in dreams, the depression doesn't seem to follow. It might be an existence outside of our real-life selves.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Kogent5 said:

Not at night, but during the daytime I have the heater or air purifier running, or I listen to white noise track on my computer. It's probably awful for the ears but it blocks out a lot of unpleasant things...

I found some great "brown" noise videos on YouTube...it's similar to white noise, but with less "hiss" and a little more mid-range. Sounds like you're in a jet airliner cruising at 36,000 feet.

Edited by JD4010

On 5/9/2021 at 1:34 PM, JD4010 said:

On 5/9/2021 at 2:40 PM, sober4life said:

I can so relate!!! I sleep with multiple fans on each night...even during the cold, cold winter. Also on during the day as my bedroom is currently my office as well. I absoultely cannot sleep without them and have had legit panic attacks when the power has been out and I have to be in the total quiet. I bring them on vacation as well! Some can’t sleep with tv or music...for me it is the fans!

i usually just stay in bed or I drive to the beach and sit there all day.  The ocean has always been my happy place.  Most of the time I don't even leave my car.  I crack open the window a bit so I can hear the sounds and smell of the salt air.  I lay my seat back and just think or sleep.  Maybe you could give that a try. Or if  you don't live near the ocean, get one of those sound machines.  It may not be exactly the same, but maybe it's close.

Posted (edited)

Water and fire both are very calming.  Having a campfire by the lake and just sitting there chilling out works very well.

Edited by sober4life

Been a crummy work week so far and I am miserable...so I will be hitting my chocolate stash. And caffeine. Sweet, sweet caffeine. and 

Maybe I should get one of those thug life cat tshirts they advertise here every day in the advertisements.  I'm surprised it's on sale.  Even the advertisements think I'm a big time loser!

22 hours ago, sober4life said:

Maybe I should get one of those thug life cat tshirts they advertise here every day in the advertisements.  I'm surprised it's on sale.  Even the advertisements think I'm a big time loser!

Ha. I get that same ad. I'm trying to own my loser status. Kind of a big pill to swallow.

4 hours ago, JD4010 said:

Ha. I get that same ad. I'm trying to own my loser status. Kind of a big pill to swallow.

I don't think I'm a loser.  Yes I'm strange.  Right now I'm watching my Gumby DVD I got recently and yes if someone calls and asks me what I'm doing I will say I'm watching Gumby.

20 hours ago, sober4life said:

I don't think I'm a loser.  Yes I'm strange.  Right now I'm watching my Gumby DVD I got recently and yes if someone calls and asks me what I'm doing I will say I'm watching Gumby.

Gumby is far superior to most of the dreck they are putting out now.

5 minutes ago, JD4010 said:

Gumby is far superior to most of the dreck they are putting out now.

It's one of those cartoons where you say is this for kids or is this something you just watch when you're bombed?  It even messes with my sober brain big time.