Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)

Does anyone have relatively recent experience with TMS? I'm going through another bout of depression and looking at options besides just trying yet another antidepressant (which I will also be doing). My psychiatrist is dubious, but my therapist and a friend both know people who have had a good response. My insurance covers it, so I'm very lucky on that regard. Just wondering if anyone here has tried it. 

19 hours ago, Shevek said:

Does anyone have relatively recent experience with TMS? I'm going through another bout of depression and looking at options besides just trying yet another antidepressant (which I will also be doing). My psychiatrist is dubious, but my therapist and a friend both know people who have had a good response. My insurance covers it, so I'm very lucky on that regard. Just wondering if anyone here has tried it. 

sorry I have not done TMS, but if you do let us know how it works out for you.

you can google success rates of TMS stories...I got this information:

TMS therapy sessions range from 30 to 36 treatments over a 6-9 week period, but when do patients start noticing a change? Because every patient is different, reaction to treatment can vary. Some patients may notice small changes after week 2 and others not until week 4 or 5.

Best of luck if you decide to do it..

I have tried it.  I have heard so many good things about it.  I am waiting for the SAINT to come out from Stanford that is similar, but supposedly more precise in its location compared to TMS.  For me it didn’t work.  I kept waiting for a change or to feel different.  For me I came back exhausted for all the work it was doing on my brain, but I would try to lay down for a minute.  I could t though because my mind wouldn’t turn off.  I still slept at night though, which I struggled with with antidepressants.  I was the 20 percent that it didn’t work.  I am treatment resistant with medications too so it may work miraculously for you.  If you do try it I hope it works for you.  Keep me posted!  It worked for so many others.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting my treatments on June 16. I'm cautiously optimistic but afraid to get my hopes up. I'll check back in here after I've finished  the full treatment.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi--I actually didn't go after all. My doctor put me on Abilify and it's worked so well we decided to hold off for now. I'm doing really well, so it made more sense to save the TMS in case I start feeling bad again. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 5:50 PM, Rach4masaya said:

I have tried it.  I have heard so many good things about it.  I am waiting for the SAINT to come out from Stanford that is similar, but supposedly more precise in its location compared to TMS.  For me it didn’t work.  I kept waiting for a change or to feel different.  For me I came back exhausted for all the work it was doing on my brain, but I would try to lay down for a minute.  I could t though because my mind wouldn’t turn off.  I still slept at night though, which I struggled with with antidepressants.  I was the 20 percent that it didn’t work.  I am treatment resistant with medications too so it may work miraculously for you.  If you do try it I hope it works for you.  Keep me posted!  It worked for so many others.

What is the success rate from TMS? My friend recently did it and did not work ..

• 4 weeks later...

I was supposed to do it several months ago but couldn't go every day due to physical issues but I am on the list again. It helps many people according to reviews but very small number says makes it worse. But I think the sad part is the benefits only last upto 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this treatment in 2020. It didn't work for me at all. Hoping the best for those who try it.

They've had good results at the clinic, but I guess it was to good to be true for me.

Good luck.