I'm An Utterly Worthless Human Being

The only thing I've ever been kinda good at is writing fanfiction, but I'm not even good at that. I don't place in every single contest I enter, not even an honorable mention. I believed in myself, and I worked so hard on my last entry, but it completely failed. Not one judge mentioned my entry. I have half the followers of people who've been writing for half as long as I have. Nobody thinks you're interesting if you're not good at your hobbies. What's the point of living?

Hobby was suppose to be fun. Have you try to relax and actually write your heart out? it don't have to be a competition you know. I think you just feeling a little discouraged. There was a national poem contest in my country and the winner entry is completely garbage. Why he win? I don't know but just because you didn't win it mean you're a bad writer my dude. Your followers think so at least. Maybe you should shake things up a little bit and try your hand at original story? experiment and see where it go.

Depression often has the effect of making you think you're worthless. It tends to maximize all the feelings of inferiority and negative thoughts while minimizing all the talents and positives you have. But somehow even realizing and knowing this may not always help. That's the "magic" of depression.

Impostor syndrome is along these lines as well. I guess I can't have it if I'm a real impostor, though. Again, that's depression talking.

Agreed that hobbies are not for competition, but for fun. Also, I think people tend to enjoy the things they're good at.

6 hours ago, anon22ae said:

Impostor syndrome is along these lines as well. I guess I can't have it if I'm a real impostor, though. Again, that's depression talking.

This is something I need to investigate further. I've felt like an impostor for decades...maybe even as far back elementary school. 

10 hours ago, JD4010 said:

This is something I need to investigate further. I've felt like an impostor for decades...maybe even as far back elementary school. 

In some sense, it's easy to see if it's actually impostor syndrome. Depending on the context, just consider some "objective" metrics, like your school grades, test scores, athletic ability, any accolades you received for your writing or art, etc. Unless these tell you that you're uniformly and consistently awful in some area, it's got to be impostor syndrome.

In real life, those who feel like impostors are usually the ones who aren't. In contrast, those who feel superior about their abilities tend to overestimate them and are often the actual impostors. Or at least that's what I'm reading... maybe I'm a counterexample in feeling like an impostor and actually being one.