Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey

I'm Diego and I'm new to this website, I was looking for resources and support groups for people dealing with depression. I'm in my early 30's and I've been dealing with depression since I was 14.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Diego to our forum family.

Very nice to meet you.

Hope you find a supportive home here.

Our goal is to not leave anyone behind in their depression "cave" .

Post your concerns when you are ready and we will try to help.

Oscar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and welcome to our forum family @Not_Having_It

I believe healing is possible. While it's hard work, made easier a bit when we don't try to do it alone. I want to learn from others including you as well as share what I know about living with depression and anxiety. 

Glad you found us. When you're ready, tell us a little more about your life with depression. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow 

I'm just a little surprised at the support on this website.

It's a relief to find a website where people with depression and anxiety won't be judged as crazy or insane. The first few times I've told people I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression, they looked at me as if I was crazy. Ever since then, I kept it to myself and smiled on the outside.

As a kid, my father would abuse me, mentally and especially physically. He would back hand me across my face, whip me with anything he had in his sight (electric cable, belt, steel toe boots). My mom and dad were still married at the time, but she feared my father more than death itself, so when she saw my father abuse me, she couldn't do or say anything for her own safety. I have an older sister, so I'm the youngest in my family. Growing up in a abusive environment, made me think that, this type of abuse with other families was normal and nothing could be done about it. So I never mentioned it to any one.  

I've been admitted into a mental health institute twice in my adult life where I honestly felt better, safer, and not a burden to my loved ones. I've cut myself, drank myself to sleep, overdosed wishing death upon myself at a young age. I've noticed I was doing more harm to my family than to myself in attempts to end my life. I hated myself more because of my selfish tendencies.

I'm currently in college and have a great job, however I find it difficult to live, study, work and seem happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Not_Having_It said:

Hey

I'm Diego and I'm new to this website, I was looking for resources and support groups for people dealing with depression. I'm in my early 30's and I've been dealing with depression since I was 14.

 

Welcome to the forum and we are here to help one another to try to cope a little bit better with whatever might be troubling you. Be blessed and I am looking forward to talking with you soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Not_Having_It said:

Wow 

I'm just a little surprised at the support on this website.

It's a relief to find a website where people with depression and anxiety won't be judged as crazy or insane. The first few times I've told people I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression, they looked at me as if I was crazy. Ever since then, I kept it to myself and smiled on the outside.

As a kid, my father would abuse me, mentally and especially physically. He would back hand me across my face, whip me with anything he had in his sight (electric cable, belt, steel toe boots). My mom and dad were still married at the time, but she feared my father more than death itself, so when she saw my father abuse me, she couldn't do or say anything for her own safety. I have an older sister, so I'm the youngest in my family. Growing up in a abusive environment, made me think that, this type of abuse with other families was normal and nothing could be done about it. So I never mentioned it to any one.  

I've been admitted into a mental health institute twice in my adult life where I honestly felt better, safer, and not a burden to my loved ones. I've cut myself, drank myself to sleep, overdosed wishing death upon myself at a young age. I've noticed I was doing more harm to my family than to myself in attempts to end my life. I hated myself more because of my selfish tendencies.

I'm currently in college and have a great job, however I find it difficult to live, study, work and seem happy.

We're both like war survivors.  That's what childhood was a war we survived.  I hated myself for a long time like you said but we were kids.  We did what we had to do to make it and of course we're in a lot of pain from what we went through.  We're survivors though and we're going to survive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sober4life said:

We're both like war survivors.  That's what childhood was a war we survived.  I hated myself for a long time like you said but we were kids.  We did what we had to do to make it and of course we're in a lot of pain from what we went through.  We're survivors though and we're going to survive.

As kids, we have such an innocent mind set, and overtime it turns into depression. We're alive and I'm thankful for that, because life has so much to offer. Thank you for your kind words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...