My ex contacted me and I’m a mess

I really can’t summarize the whole situation. I don’t think it will work out. I also have never been around someone I get along with like that. It’s a connection that haunts me. All my symptoms and just life in general hasn’t been the same after the breakup. This is the month she broke up with me years ago. I had to stop myself from trying to call her last week and I did. I also had an unexpected insurance bill that made it hard to pay rent this month. My grandma got COVID but so far she’s ok.  

I tried support hotlines because I have no support system. I have a therapist and a care worker but not like we are gonna be friends in real life. Also doesn’t help being a guy and a loner. I hope some people understand loners because it’s like I’m always defending myself. I have friends but just to kinda talk and hang out.

I feel like I reacted before I could think. She said her mom was going to be fully recovered from cancer. She didn’t say much so I asked her how she felt. Now I feel like me trying to get more out of her triggered me. I can’t even put into words all the stuff coming over me. I put that I hope she and her mom are ok but I have to think about myself and nothing else.

Yesterday I didn’t eat or do really anything. I woke up today and felt kinda better so just hoping I can keep it up. I know this makes me sound like victim but I’m trying to work through all of this. I just keep trying and maybe some of this stuff helps. 

Edited by mrrd117711

I'm so sorry you are in this distressing and unhappy situation.  The human brain is so mysterious and seems to have a mind of its own.  My brain caused all kinds of distressing thoughts and feelings in me when I was in a situation somewhat similar to your.  There were things I wanted my brain to think and feel and do but my brain just would not cooperate.  It was a miserable time for me.  My heart goes out to you!

Hi, I hope this will not turn into an endless response. Just wanna get my point of view across.  First sorry to read about your situation. However.  I am in kinda the same boat. All rather new then years ago. But it is all alive and an ongoing deal. I tried counseling  last year and that went well bad because it was via Zoom and the counselor was a carbon copy of my "Ex"  by any possible aspect ...that did not go well. I went through "High" and "Low" moods and feelings in the last 400 days or so. I ended up in the ER for not eating and combined with stress about all of it I had a seizure - smack in the worse place - at work . So embarrassing and mind bugling afterwards. I learned that I am not a victim and it is OK to speak out what you think and feel - even to strangers like here. It helped me A LOT so far. So stay here and share whatever is on your mind. I am new here and I feel "home" 🙂 

This is the year we focus on ourselves and leave those who are toxic out of our lives. I had an ex from 20 years ago reach out to me regularly on social media. I have to believe he’s going through something and using me as an outlet. I have since stopped using social media and am taking a break. I am thankful he does not have my mobile number! I do not wish to reminisce about the past or invite that toxicity/negativity into my life again. Kudos to you for not reaching out to her and finding support elsewhere!

I appreciate what was said but honestly hard to make much sense. I feel I’m facing the pain from my past but it’s making me completely dissociate. I am basically used to going through painful moments and just surviving it. I basically just make things really basic. I feel like my mind is stronger than my body because I am having issues from stress. All I can do is force myself to be strong.

Idk why I feel like saying this but it’s like being on a train ride you don’t want to be on. I guess after awhile all you can do is enjoy the view. Yea I end up being vague at times like this must be my brain protecting myself. I guess feeling better isn’t going to be easy. 

On 3/21/2021 at 1:54 PM, mrrd117711 said:

I feel like my mind is stronger than my body because I am having issues from stress

I am still reading .. I soak up anything I can find here. I know how it feels to have your mind to be stronger than your body. Got me in the ER a few times for that matter . The train ride is a ticket you " purchased" ...just as I did. There was just no clear destination I guess. So you are stuck on that train just as I am until it is found. All we can do is watch the scenery go by and pick the right  stop to get out. I am trapped and stuck as well until I - ME - decide it is time. So I need many passengers and conductors to guide me to the right door. That is what I am her for, we are here for and you are here for. Keep your chin up 😉

Disassociation is our bodies way of protecting ourselves, but can be such a slippery slope. Give yourself major credit, you are actively seeking other outlets and trying to connect with others on this platform. That is huge! disassociation can be a good thing in the moment, but I implore you to keep seeking connection and other coping mechanisms so that survival mode does not become a way of life for you. In case you haven’t heard it in a while, you are doing the best you can right now and that is ok. (That mantra has helped me slowly climb my way out of a survival mode way of life, and I hope it brings you hope and healing).