How do you fight a "silent treatment" ?

Svenetc

Hi,

I just wonder if there are people here with the experience of silent treatment.

In my personal situation, there is silent treatment from two sides and it drives me bonkers. Without me doing anything wrong ( and I got this clarified by those people ) communication seized despite any efforts.

How do you deal with that ? I am trying anything I can and feel like I am trying to convince concrete to turn into wood. All my life I communicated fair and honest and straight forward . But I always care to keep communication open - even in tough situations. 

Receiving complete silence makes me feel deeply sad and does not help  It is very hard do handle if you already feel down and depressed. Especially when you are told that you did not do nothing wrong or said anything wrong.

Anyone dealt with that and how did you handle it ?

Thanks and enjoy your day !

Silent treatment is terrible.  I would honestly rather hear from everyone no matter how good or bad the things they have to say are because what my mind tells me they are thinking about me is always much worse.  I have to keep in contact until I feel issues are resolved.  I won't sleep much if at all until the issues are resolved.  I think about the last conversation for days or weeks or months or even years until I see the person again.  This is a world that can just cut you off without any real explanation though and it drives me crazy.

18 minutes ago, sober4life said:

I have to keep in contact until I feel issues are resolved.

All of your comment is spot on ! Could not agree more ...just the answer I needed.....It makes me to not feel alone or stupid. 🙂 

Yes, I've both given and received the silent treatment.  I've not given it in many years--and will never do again-- because I figured out that my silence, or their silence, was indicative of insecurity, fear of rejection and unexpressed anger.  If they're giving you the silent treatment, the silence is the best they can do at this point. They probably have not given themselves permission to have negative feelings, so they can't speak to you in any depth just yet. Back off and give them the space to grow. Finding your voice, owning who you are and what you want takes a long time for some. 

Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, womanofthelight said:

Back off and give them the space to grow. Finding your voice, owning who you are and what you want takes a long time for some

Thank you ! I backed off a while ago and cope with the fact. The points you made are valid. One thing for sure - I know who I am and what I want. Now I have to give it time and faith to end the silence. 

Sorry this is happening to you.  My memory is not so good but I recall reading some very good articles on "the silent treatment" and "how to deal with the silent treatment" from Psychology Today.  If I am not mistaken, they are available on the Internet for free reading.  Wish I could remember the details.  Best to you.

1 hour ago, Epictetus said:

I recall reading some very good articles on "the silent treatment"

Thank you,

I am doing nothing in my spare time other then to find answers to many questions as they arise. I have so many things going on, but I hate that silent treatment. I read many articles and what the purpose of it might be. I still can't figure it out though. It just hurts. I am open wired and always ask questions. The worse thing to me is to not get an answer. I think it is actually the worse thing that can happen, if someone does not talk to you. That can be in a neighborhood, at work or in a relationship. Anything and everything can and should be talked about and communicated. Silence is a very painful response to receive. Wish I could read the mind of those people and I could answer myself ( or maybe better not LOL ) .... 🙂