N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) for psychiatric conditions

Has anyone had any luck with this product? I started at 1,200mg daily but it didn't do much, so I recently started taking more per doctors orders, I will keep you guys updated..

From the research that I did online I think a higher dosage is required, but you need to start it slowly..so I just started on a higher dosage.. I mainly started taking it for anxiety, depression, and OCD. Apparently for anxiety it says: When it is orally administered, NAC reaches peak plasma concentrations between 30 minutes and 1 hour. NAC is available as an oral solution as well as intravenous and inhaled preparations. The half-life of NAC is approximately 5.6 hours, and 30 percent of the drug is renally excreted.

N-acetylcysteine, a sulphur-containing amino acid for the treatment of paracetamol overdose and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, is a widely available off-the-shelf oral antioxidant supplement in many countries. With the potential to modulate several neurological pathways, including glutamate dysregulation, oxidative stress, and inflammation that can be beneficial to the brain functions, N-acetylcysteine is being explored as an adjunctive therapy for many psychiatric conditions. This narrative review synthesises and presents the current evidence from systematic reviews, meta-analyses, and latest clinical trials on N-acetylcysteine for addiction and substance abuse, schizophrenia, obsessive-compulsive and related disorders, and mood disorders. Good evidence exists to support the use of N-acetylcysteine as an adjunct treatment to reduce the total and negative symptoms of schizophrenia. N-acetylcysteine also appears to be effective in reducing craving in substance use disorders, especially for the treatment of cocaine and cannabis use among young people, in addition to preventing relapse in already abstinent individuals. Effects of N-acetylcysteine on obsessive-compulsive and related disorders, as well as on mood disorders, remain unclear with mixed reviews, even though promising evidence does exist. Larger and better-designed studies are required to further investigate the clinical effectiveness of N-acetylcysteine in these areas. Oral N-acetylcysteine is safe and well tolerated without any considerable adverse effects. Current evidence supports its use as an adjunctive therapy clinically for psychiatric conditions, administered concomitantly with existing medications, with a recommended dosage between 2000 and 2400 mg/day. According to one study of 48 OCD patients who previously didn’t respond to conventional pharmaceutical medications, NAC was reported to improve the symptoms after 3 months of supplementation, without significant rates of adverse side-effects. Most studies use a dose of between 1200-2400 mg NAC, taken in 600 mg doses throughout the day. You’ll absorb NAC best if you take it on an empty stomach, at least an hour away from eating.

Several large studies have found that NAC relieves symptoms of depression and anxiety, with none of the side effects you get from antidepressants[24]. NAC also improved mood in depressed people who took it on top of their normal medication — again, with no side effects or drug interactions[25]. NAC also decreases OCD behavior, possibly through the same mechanism by which it relieves addiction. It improved symptoms in people with severe OCD[26], and also decreased OCD in people who didn’t respond to drug treatment[27]. There’s no reason not to take NAC if you’re depressed or have OCD. It doesn’t interact with other medication and seems to help in many cases, even when drugs don’t.

It won't let me post the link here...but it says it is used for all different kinds of mental health illnesses addiction, anxiety, bipolar, depression, ocd, Schizophrenia, and many more..

I'm not a doctor...Please ask your doctor before trying this, as it says it might interfere with certain medications. but  I will keep you guys posted..

On 3/11/2021 at 12:25 AM, APFSDS said:

Isn't that the stuff that liquidizes lung mucus, to help you cough it out? I'm HIGHLY suspicious of this. It can be quite dangerous in large doses.

never had that experience, but it has somewhat decreased certain ocd/anxiety symptoms, so I'm not complaining. and it's only been a few weeks that my dosage was increased..

• 6 months later...

Why is NAC being banned?

The FDA claims that there's no evidence that NAC was used as a supplement prior to its use as a drug – so including NAC in a supplement makes the product an unapproved drug and thus illegal. June 2021😕