Sentinel2

Strange fall of mood when tired

Hey, i noticed something that i thought was interesting. Let's say i wake up at 11:00 am and it makes no difference whether i slept 7, 8 or 10 hours. I start my day the usual way, by working on my business. I feel motivated, feel a good drive, etc. But then in anywhere between 1 hour or several hours, something strange happens. I become tired/sleepy, but not only that, i completely lose motivation and my mood drops to an absolute minimum. Now i wouldn't mention it if it was just being sleepy/tired because most people feel that during the day, but i am really interested why it completely changes the mood and makes motivation completely dissapear. For instance, if at 1 pm i really felt awesome about things i was doing ... at 2 pm nothing matters and everything on my to do list for that day suddenly is like, eh, why bother. 

Now i know this is the usual depression where nothing in life is worth it and you are there like, whats the point. But usualy this doesn't happen in a matter of minutes or hours, like, at 1 pm life was wonderful and at 2 pm its terrible. I am surprised it took me this long to realise this, but i am pretty sure i was like this for a long time. The way i tacle it now is that simply when i feel this terrible feeling, i simply go to bed and try to take a nap and then try to not feel guilty about it. When i wake up after a nap, mostly i feel quite ok again - i have drive, motivation, etc. 

I would really like to figure out how and why it happens. Is it something that happens in my body (like blood sugar drop, heart beat rate drop, blood pressure drop, etc.) or is it purely in my mind ? As for pills, i take 375mg alventa (right now before sleep but tried also when i wake up, makes no difference) and 5mg zyprexa for sleep. I hope you can help me shed some light on this and more importantly, try to fight this, because if i didn't have to take this nap, i could use it to do some more useful work. 

Im struggling with this too. I work from home so I try to stay busy but lately I've been getting really tired in the afternoon. But on the other hand I have not been sleeping good at night. I have been having anxiety in the night too. It'll wake me up and my heart is beating fast and I have to make a conscious effort to calm down and relax. I don't like to nap in the day because I know I will have a hard time falling asleep at night. For some reason lately night time makes me anxious. I used to love the night. Now I can't wait for the sun to rise. I think our bodies and mind are working so much harder to adjust to this new normal. 

The thing is, due to me having problems falling asleep at night, i was prescribed 5mg Olanzapine - its side effect is that its really easy to fall asleep. I think i sleep well, i rarely wake up and even if i do, i fall back asleep very fast. So right now i take 5mg Olanzapine and 375mg Venlafaksin before sleep. I guess the pills could be making me sleepy but well, without olanzapine i wouldn't be able to sleep till 5 or 6am and without venlafksin, who knows how i would feel. 

So today it happened again, infact its happening everyday for the last god knows how many days. When i sit down from work to get some break, i get tired and lose motivation. I know things i need to do but i think like, why bother, its like my blood sugar, blood pressure, heart beat and will to live drop at the same time. So today i couldn't fall asleep due to too much coffe, but i was in bed "napping" for about 1 hour and in this time, i made some plans in my mind and suddenly i got the motivation back, woke up and started doing things around the house. I mean, i could live with 1 hour "wasted" everyday but i would be even happier without it. I am trying to remember if i was always like this - needing a nap. I remember that 10 years ago i never used an alarm clock, slept till 2 or 3pm ... and simply went to sleep at 5 am. I was able to do that due to different job. 

Cause and effect may be getting jumbled up here.  

Depression can make us more emotionally suggestible.  Both getting tired and the mood dip could be symptoms of the same depressive reaction.

Emotionally, depression makes the 'chicken or egg' discussion even tougher.  

I am going through that as well for a long time. What's causing it I do not know. I discussed it with my doctor and they too blood and so on. Nothing conclusive. I wake up every day at the same time 1:15 AM to start my day and be at work at 4 .... Usually I am a fully charged and energized man and can go and work for weeks without a day off. Just can't sit down and stop. As soon I I stop I am done and I get tired and my mood drops quickly. I turn into a " pumpkin" - useless and not very social. It bugs me a lot. Because I know other people that go to work and have a social life after that which sometimes causes them to only sleep for a limited time. I can't do that. My key trigger is kicking in when I have time to think. It is like my heart talks to my brain and my brain talks to all the rest of me ....an endless conversation and I am in the middle. When that occurs I am out and all I want is think and sleep if possible. I have tried many medications and for whatever the reason, if there are side effects - I will experience a bunch. So all I take now is Keppra and a OTC sleep aid. Anything else will mess with my daily life. Wish I could be just "normal"