Haruhijinx

Anyone else have this experience?

I’ve noticed in my life that most of the time everything is calm, but I’ve also noticed that when I was being abused and really going through a lot, a lot of people turned on me for things I didn’t even do. Someone thought I slept with their boyfriend because he tried flirting with me while I was with my abusive ex and I just remember so many people just constantly attacking me and telling me I’m a ****ed up person, and also telling me to **** myself. Idk it was just a realization but sometimes now that everything is over I wait for the next blow up, even though I’m out of my abusive situation. Is this something that happens to other people?

I used to encounter the same situation too, until I decide to start setting some boundaries and cut those people out of my life. Whenever I'm interacting with people these days, I'll compare the way they treat me vs the way I treat them. If I treat someone with kindness but they decide to repay me back with cruelty, then they will have to get out of my life.

Edited by raiindrop

It's hypervigilance. Not just your mind, but your body is so used to being on alert for the next high-stress situation. My previous therapist told me I need to self-soothe mentally (tell yourself there is no danger, watch a calming video, listen to some nice music) and physically (figure out what part of your body is reacting and soothe it, so this might include stroking your chest, hugging a pillow, curling your toes).

I am terrible at this, but maybe it will work for you.