Sign in to follow this  
Selvina

How do you guys cope with not being able to sleep?

Hi everyone, I hope you guys are doing well. I wanted to know about your experiences with sleep. Personally, I have had great trouble with sleep ever since my high school days. How have you guys dealt with insomnia bought about by depression?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Selvina said:

Hi everyone, I hope you guys are doing well. I wanted to know about your experiences with sleep. Personally, I have had great trouble with sleep ever since my high school days. How have you guys dealt with insomnia bought about by depression?

Hi and welcome to df.

I am sorry you are having trouble sleeping. Insomnia can be insidious and it can affect just about every aspect of one's life if not treated. . I hope you are in fact getting treatment for it. Insomnia can be caused by both psychological factors and also various physical illnesses. A doc specializing in insomnia will be able to discern is the problem psychological or not.

Apparently I have what is called "idiopathic insomnia", which in essence is insomnia without any discernable cause. My main issue is waking up several times a night and not being able to fall back to sleep. though sometimes I have trouble falling asleep too. It began when i was 10 or 11, though I had sleeplessness nights way before too. It continued into my 40's, when it went completely out of control due to irregular shift work, stress and chronic anxiety. I had bad sleeping habits from the start, as I thought I didn't need as much sleep as other people.

Eventually I burnt out and got treatment for both anxiety and insomnia. In my case I was put on mirtazipine for insomnia and i still take small doses of "mirt" before I go to sleep(apparently in the case of mirtazipine, "less is more" when treating insomnia). I have to keep my hours regular, and keep myself healthy. I don't read in bed, watch tv or update social media in bed. I only go to bed when I am tired. Even if it's two a.m when I go to bed.

I sleep pretty well nowadays, though I still get bouts of insomnia at times for no apparent reason. These "bouts" can last anything from one night to a week. Nowadays I get a solid 6-7 hours of sleep most nights. Sometimes more. I still wake up at least once a night, but in general I am not too concerned.

I was in therapy for three years, and I realized that insomnia, anxiety, depression and mental health issues in general are all connected. Sometimes it's difficult to determine did anxiety trigger insomnia or the other way round, for example. It probably doesn't matter either way. I think the first line of defence if one can't sleep is not to get too worked up about it. For me that is nearly impossible, my mind is in overkill-mode even when I am "relaxed"..But taking it all in it's stride and trying not to worry about it can work.

Another thing that worked for me if insomnia has taken over my life is a form of "controlled sleep deprevation". The idea is to try and get as much continous sleep as possible, even if it's only a few hours.

I'll copy/paste somethng I "pinched" form the website Mayoclinic:

"Sleep restriction. Lying in bed when you're awake can become a habit that leads to poor sleep. This treatment reduces the time you spend in bed, causing partial sleep deprivation, which makes you more tired the next night. Once your sleep has improved, your time in bed is gradually increased."

You will probably find more just googling "sleep restriction".

I hope you start feeling better soon, @Selvina. All the best!

Edited by samadhiSheol

Hi. I try to workout everyday. It helps me to get that feeling of wanting to rest. If I don't workout, my mind is here and there that it's hard to fall asleep.

2 hours ago, Caldmood said:

Hi. I try to workout everyday. It helps me to get that feeling of wanting to rest. If I don't workout, my mind is here and there that it's hard to fall asleep.

Yes, this. Your exercise of choice is a balm for both your mind and body.