I am currently on Mirtazapine, Lexapro, and Wellbutrin for the effects of a bad case of tinnitus.

My old doctor in Canada 3 years ago prescribed me to take clonazepam (.5 mg) 2x per day until the other slower SSRIs kicked in (4-6 weeks)

I have recently had to change medications, and still have some clonazepam leftover from before.

I am on day 27 of Wellbutrin, still have some anxiety (it's slowly decreasing).

I have been taking clonazepam maybe 2x per week for the bad days.  So far there have not been any side effects from this, however, I'm tempted to use it a little more (maybe 3-4 x per week), but I have heard horror stories of people getting addicted (I do not have addictive tendencies) or becoming dependent on it.  I've also heard you should not take it longer than 2 weeks (continuously).

Any thoughts on this approach (taking more)?

Just now, Canerican said:

I have been taking clonazepam maybe 2x per week for the bad days.  So far there have not been any side effects from this, however, I'm tempted to use it a little more (maybe 3-4 x per week), but I have heard horror stories of people getting addicted (I do not have addictive tendencies) or becoming dependent on it.  I've also heard you should not take it longer than 2 weeks (continuously).

Hi Canerican,

Sorry about your tinnitus.  I've had it--high whizzing--for about ten years, now.  I was never prescribed any of the treatments you mention for it.  As you're aware, they won't stop the sound, only desensitize you to it.  I don't know how long you've heard the maddening rush.  My brain adjusted after a couple of years or less.  It's still there.  I just don't notice it.  That's probably the most common "cure" that occurs.  I hope this will happen for you.

Sounds like you have the effects of clonazepam understood well enough.  It's not "taking a bit more" that will get you, it's that process, that can be repeated in small sips that seem harmless; and you're just fine, until your body is so used to the amount that decreasing it causes withdrawal.  You'll have to be taking it on a regular basis of some sort to get dependent. 

Best on both issues, Bulgakov