Sign in to follow this  
firelizardee

SEXUAL SIDE EFFECTS

It's not from depression, dont be so @$ ridiculous.

I took effexor for three months a year and a half ago, I had sexual side effects. A year later, I havent had a boner once since I came off effexor 75mg.

It's called pssd. I also have permanent emotional blunting affect.

I have permanent damage from effexor. I took it for social anxiety. Now I have nothing. Not even depression. I no.longer feel anxiety or fear. I failed suicidr twice sincr this happened, I lost my fiance since im basically asexual. I dont cry anymore, I cant feel happiness anymore.

Ig you have sexual side effects, then your very vulnerable.

Adk your doctor to write out a note stating that these side effects arent permanent. Then wean off, and if they stay, then you can sew them and atleast get.money because when you lose your emotions and your sex drive, your.life will never be the same

Edited by NoMore27

Someone here will develop pssd. Effexor downregulates 5ht1a receptors, and after repeat use of effexor, those synapse sites, become permanently down regulated, which is what makes the medication effective.

I've been desperately trying to get my life back since this occurred. Before this ladt year, I took it a year in high school seven years prior. I came off effexor, and my sex drive and my emotions came flooding back.

This last year, my libido never returned, my emotions havent returned.

The fda had thousands of similar reports from patients who used ssri and snri meds.

People do Not recover from pssd. People will take wellbutrin, because it up-regulated 5ht1a receptors. But it doesnt work for more than two weeks.

What im saying is real. This topic is very poorly recognized by the medical community. Doctors prescribing these meds have no idea. Just the thousands of people living with it.

The two recovery stories on the net arent even real. The automater never recovered. I know him. Brunyon never recovered. He killed himself.

Please people, dont let yourself end up where I am. I'm only 27, and since this happened ive lost everything. My lifr is over. I cant cry anymore. I cant feel anything. Please please please dont make.the mistake of believing your invisible. Most people who develop this end up a suicide statistic. And they write it off as depression. Well im sorry, I never had depression I had social anxiety. Now I dont even have that. I have nothing.

Edited by NoMore27

Doctors know what's going on.  They just don't care.  Plenty of people have told their doctors about the sexual side effects.  They figure as long as people keep showing up to the appointments who cares.  It is sad that people have to go through it.  Taking away the best thing in the world to feel better is rediculous.  I've taken plenty of medications in my life and all they seem to do is make you feel numb and have no emotions.  I'll never take medication again.

Yup. I havent taken it for a YEAR And now im permanently numb, with permanent sexual dysfunction. I have no emotions anymore. How am I supposed to do anything in my life now? How am I supposed to live like this?

I failed two suicides in the last three months because of this. I lost the little pride I had left after having to be supervised while showering, and having.them shine a light in my eyes every fifteen minutes at.night in this hospital. This medication took from me.everything I held close to my heart. I dont know what anxiety feels like anymore.

Next time there wont be no saving me. I cant keep waking up every morning in this nightmare. My life was awesome just a year and a half ago. It was beautiful, I was happy, I was engaged. I just bought a house, I was going to start a family, I was anxious over the loan so I went back on effexor gor three months. Something happened this last time. Something happened. No onr will ever know the level of pain I live in every day since this happened. My giance started to hate herself.because this made me asexual. So I weaned off it.

Well, this time it didnt comr back. And she left me. She went back eith her x. Her x drug addict boyfriend who hit her. All because this happened to me. Now im behind in mortgage payments. I lost my job I dreamed of all my life. Everything I worked for since high school meand nothing now.

I cant sleep now. I have chronic insomnia, from effexor. I have health records from the 26 years of my life leading up to this. I wad healthy, jacked out of my skull with an 8 pack and 3% body fat. I played college ice hockey and tennis. I had everything! Now I have ****ing nothing!!!! I have my dog

Edited by NoMore27

NoMore27, I had the same, for about a year after stopping Effexor (following ten years on it). It was an absolutely awful time, and you have my full sympathy.

Then, quite suddenly, the emotion blunting wore off and I cried constantly for several months - but I could cry again! The numbness and feeling of being completely asexual also wore off, as I started to feel emotions again. Things are definitely returning to normal. It is possible, it just takes a hell of a long time for your body & brain chemistry to recover after Effexor. Please do not lose hope!

This is the big irony of all these meds. The more the effective it is on you're depression and anxiety, the more of an impact generally on libido and sexual side effects. I have tried meds that haven't been too effective for my depression and those have had least impact sexually, go figure.

Tims

I'll be stopping Effexor, but not because of side effects, because I'll switch to Anafranil to try to treat my obsessive thoughts.
It did lower my libido a little bit, but only a little, and mostly when I started on it. And it did make it harder for me to cry, until a few days ago when I started getting worse again and crying a lot (with 150 mgs).
I'm 30 by the way, but my libido has always been kinda crazy

I have also been on and off Effexor over the course of the last 10 yrs or so. I'm a frequent sexual side effect flyer. I know that this is a well documented side effect of this medication, even though they say it's minimal.

I have consistently went through the same scenario everytime I've tried this drug(and it's been a few). Initially I am so doped up that I could loose my naughty bits and not even know it. I have no use for them or anyone else's.

After a couple months the "wanting" returns but there isn't any payout. I hope that makes sense. In fact I would say that the interest is much better than when I'm unmedicated.

Generally this is when I a) decide I am cured and stop taking it or b) get frustrated with the anorgasma and stop taking it

Shortly after the discontinuation syndrome that I always get (yay!) my drive, my follow through.... It all comes back.

And then it leaves, to be replaced by more anxiety. Hence starting the process over.

I am not recommending this; just giving my experiences. I clearly don't have this figured out but I hope everyone the very best in their ventures.

I have also been on and off Effexor over the course of the last 10 yrs or so. I'm a frequent sexual side effect flyer. I know that this is a well documented side effect of this medication, even though they say it's minimal.

I have consistently went through the same scenario everytime I've tried this drug(and it's been a few). Initially I am so doped up that I could loose my naughty bits and not even know it. I have no use for them or anyone else's.

After a couple months the "wanting" returns but there isn't any payout. I hope that makes sense. In fact I would say that the interest is much better than when I'm unmedicated.

Generally this is when I a) decide I am cured and stop taking it or b) get frustrated with the anorgasma and stop taking it

Shortly after the discontinuation syndrome that I always get (yay!) my drive, my follow through.... It all comes back.

And then it leaves, to be replaced by more anxiety. Hence starting the process over.

I am not recommending this; just giving my experiences. I clearly don't have this figured out but I hope everyone the very best in their ventures.

I tried Venlafaxine ER several months ago and instantly noticed I was in a much better mood, but had some of the side effects just as quickly. A different NP gave me the same thing again yesterday (37.5 mg) and after taking one last night, it's the same thing all over again. My head has had these strange minor pains all day, like it's decompressing, and my mood is much better. But just as quickly, the frustrating side effects are back.

I need an alternative. I like the better mood, of course, but the side effects just don't seem to be something I can handle, even though there's no one being disappointed or affected other than myself. It's why I stopped it last time. As much as I like the benefits, the side effects seem to be worse to me. I don't know what to do.

i have a different experience it raised my sex drive a bit and makes my organisms feel better it makes me take longer but I am at like a 9.5 in pleasure the whole time so I don,t mind what it does do to me though is make me have random anxiety or it takes away my anxiety.Very weird med if the anxiety went away I would be fine

On January 14, 2016 at 11:55 PM, Kiesha said:

Kiesha, you have the same symptoms as I have with Cymbalta.  I started Cymbalta 5 years ago and at the time it didn't **** the big OH, just delayed it. I started at 30 mg, then went to the "therapeutic dose" 60 mg for a long time. Finally I was on 90 mg and it did slightly more harm to the big OH. Eventually I asked to get off Cymbalta and had a great year of sex (just kidding).  When I had to go back onto Cymbalta, starting again at 30mg, I had diminished sensation during orgasm. When I went to 60 mg after a week of being on the 30 mg startup dose,  I lost all ability to orgasm. *** I though! When I complained to the psychiatrist  he prescribed Wellbutrin 300 xl to take with the Cymbalta.  It definitely helped me feel the need for sex but did not cure the cymbalta-gasm dilemma.  My family doctor said I may have to make a choice for one or the other. Drug or sex, um, feel good up there, or, feel good down there.  Now, we are talking about a doctor that hasn't had this happen to him yet. 

Even taking the Cymbalta at 30 or 60 mg along with the Wellbutrin, I have a desire for sexual satisfaction.  The more times I fail at finishing during intercourse or alone, the more frustrated I become.  It is like I become obsessed with the desire to come.  I am currently just taking 30 mg of Cymbalta along with Wellbutrin and my psychiatrist is fine with that. I can stop Cymbalta completely for a few days with no sign of depression, crying or orgasm returning. My latest experiment is going off Cymbalta long enough to come.  It's taking about 5 or more days for my ability to return which is about the same time it takes to feel sad about the stupidest things.

Kiesha I totally agree with you, when on Cymbalta (also an SNRI class as Effexor is) I could be mortally wounded by the genitals and feel no pain.  It's actually like the poor bits are already cut off from my body, that's how dead the sensation is.  My difference is the lack of sensation is becoming the thing I am most obsessed about, the desire to "try again" is like a snowball rolling down the mountain. It just keeps getting bigger and faster!  Nothing like obsessing about your next big OH, and never getting it.  

Keisha when you said "Initially I am so doped up that I could loose my naughty bits and not even know it" It struck me like a brick and prompted my response.  My difference,  Wellbutrin, which drives up the desire, and that is it! 

On 2/16/2007 at 4:11 AM, normanoak said:

I have stopped taking effexor about two weeks ago. I've been on it for years, and now I don't really think I need it at all. Does anyone know when your sex drive is supposed to return? Because, honestly, it hasn't yet, and I'm beside myself. I just started a new relationship and it's so frustrating.

these damages can be permanent. reffered to as PSSD. over 3800+ people  registered just on a yahoo PSSD group.  thats Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction.

I made a warning blog at pssdblog.blogspot.co.uk

see rxisk.org report your meds for some PSSD information

It's run by Dr. David Healy and other Doctors. He is trained in psyciatry, pharmacology etc etc.  they have good journalists and articles like rethink at rethink  and buried alive

I was 21. the most common side effects listed under SSRI sertraline (zoloft) are just 2 on the "leaflet".  sertraline/zoloft side effect leaflet

"More common:

• Decreased sexual desire or ability
  • failure to discharge semen (in men)

Less common or rare:

• Aggressive reaction"

and SRRI seroxat side effects leaflet lists (paroxetine/seroxat)

--   seroxat side effects Seroxat side effects   leaflet

"In Summary

Commonly reported side effects of paroxetine include: erectile dysfunction, male genital disease, drowsiness, ejaculatory disorder, diarrhea, constipation, nausea, insomnia, dizziness, weakness, headache, delayed ejaculation, xerostomia, diaphoresis, and decreased libido. Other side effects include: infection, female genital tract disease, tremor, orgasm disturbance, blurred vision, visual disturbance, impotence, lack of concentration, vasodilatation, anxiety, paresthesia, decreased appetite, yawning, and abnormal dreams. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.

"

the medical definition of ejaculatory disorder can include 4 things. including premature ejaculation. retrograde ejaculation (it goes back up the sperm ducts, not out). ******** ejaculation and failure of ejaculation (anejaculation).  Medical Source Cornell Urology

delayed ejaculation and anorgasmea (inability to acheive orgasm) being known about etc etc. 

the medical clinics that people trust that distribute these drugs fail to warn people, fully inform them as well as completely neglect any aspect of reporting side effects including embarrassing effects that any person undergoing mentally ill treatment has bravely come forward with.

the leaflet term "orgasm disturbance"  is "

Definition

Orgasmic dysfunction is the inability for an individual to reach orgasm during sexual stimulation. This disturbance must cause marked distress or interpersonal difficulty. This dysfunction is not better accounted for by another psychological condition

"   source psychologytoday

and the fluoxetine/prozac SSRI leaflet attempts to legally safeguard itself by "Symptoms of sexual dysfunction occasionally persist after discontinuation of fluoxetine treatment" (section 6.2). Eli Lilly acknowledges having 94 reports of persistent post treatment sexual dysfunction.

You think this might affect your OCD or Depression much!? how many people have ended their lives over this horrific de-personalization and embarrasing permanent sexual violation? the answer is that nobody collects reports or data on any of this or helps anyone fill out a side effect report. it is instead blamed on the patient and their "underlying" disease...

I was having se*ual side effects with Citalopram/Escitalopram(even with a very high does of Wellbutrin), but recently switched to Pristiq which is closely related to Effexor, and haven't noticed much at all. It makes it so it's easier for me to last longer, but other than that none. I asked for Pristiq because of this. Looking at the FDA reports for the clinical trials on all the Serotonic antidepressants, Pristiq was the lowest of all the Reuptake Inhibitors. Viibryd, Trintellix, Remeron(barely serotonic), and Moclobemide also were low, but Pristiq just seemed best overall and it's working out quite well so far. Expensive, but totally worth the relief.

It's the active metabolite of Effexor. Effexor is stronger serotonin wise, hence these side effects. Pristiq is also easier on your body by a little. Your liver doesn't need to process it as much(Not that there's anything wrong with Effexor) Effexor will tend to have more side effects, and interactions because of that, but for some people it's more effective. Pristiq feels more like a natural mood boost compared to other antidepressants I've tried.