Sign in to follow this  
firelizardee

Effexor Success Stories

Good antidepressant.... but for me it was like the crack-illegal drug of antidepressants (n.b. I don't indulge in illicit substances).

I say this because I remember within a few days, I went outside and everything was 'visually rich'; it was sunny, I felt like myself, life was good again and 'carpe diem' - I felt good. With each dose escalation it was like my brain was being pumped full of happy. It kicks depression in the butt hard but the downside is that it tends not to last.

When it began to poop out a year later I progressively felt depression creeping back in over the next year and eventually felt like I'd hit rock bottom dropping off the minimum 37.5mg. Crying, dysphoria and deep depression. Physiologically and mentally, I felt ill and tired. That lasted 2-3 months without a molecule of the stuff in my body.

Stick around for the therapeutic action (which can be a decade if you're lucky), bin it and grit your teeth at the end or switch in something else. Life is very difficult with the withdrawal, it's notorious for it. You get through it though, especially when you've already lived with depression.

Typical side effects include everything from fatigue, headaches, IBS-like symptoms and a general numbing of libido/stuff. It's worth it for how damn well it works though.

I have been on and off E for 16 years - up to 225mg, but currently on 75mg.  Works very well for me - i have tried to stop a few times but get depressed and anxious again after a few months.

i really feel much better on than off

I'm going to tentatively put myself in as an Effexor Success Story. I started on 37.5 mg at the beginning of March and went up to 150 mg in a week or two. So it's been probably at least 6 or 7 weeks, but it has made a positive difference. It might not have taken so long to see the positives if I had been better at taking it regularly at the same time each day to start. Taking it mid-morning, after a good breakfast, works best for me.

Hi I am new to this forum, but not to anxiety and depression, and have found reading through the posts very helpful, i started effexor in 2012, after Citalopram did not work for me, within a couple of months, i felt like me, and it  gave me my life back, then i decided to stop it, as i felt well, and was unhappy with weight gain, BIG MISTAKE, my anxiety and depression is back big time, so last Sunday i started 37.5mg xl, and so its only been 4 days, but already the nausea is better, see my Gp tomorrow, so will ask for 75mg,  and start them next Sunday,  like everyone else i am in a hurry for them to work, bit i know i have to be patient.

Really hoping this will work as well for me the 2nd time around, i was on 150mg, before reducing to 75mg, staying on that for over a year, then withdrawing, it was not pleasant, but not as bad as some of the horror story's you read on the net,

I think i will always need a low dose antidepressant, and if that;s the case i will take it, so anyone starting on this med, please give it a chance, it really worked great for me, and gave me my life back

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all who shared their stories here over the years. I will soon be switching from Paxil to Effexor and I feel encouraged after reading through the thread! Thank you! 

Update, now into week six of Effexor, and today upped the dose to 112.5mg, and feeling tired, still having to take 2mg Diazapam, 3 times a day, but slowly i think it is showing results, was scared that it would not work second time around, but feeling more positive, I love reading through the positive threads, maybe some of you could comment as to how you are doing now, i think it really helps.

Effexor is slowly starting to work for me. It's been 6 weeks and I see the doctor tmrw. I've noticed increased focus to read and journal. I can't wait until it helps me with physical motivation (hoping that it will). But so far combined with lexapro it's working pretty good.

Ok, I know this thread is super old but I feel compelled to write a response now in 2018.

first of, I truly hope a lot of you who were having success with the Effexor are continuing to do well and I hope everyone is mentally happy. However, I did read a few posts on here by some new Effexor users which can be misleading to someone who is new to mental health or the drugs associated with it. Actually I was kind of angry reading some of those posts! 

I have had 2 experiences with Effexor in my life. I first started taking Effexor back in 2012 due to depression associated with a breakup. It helped me tremendously. Please please please remember that everyone’s body chemistry is different and we all react differently to these drugs. So posting one track minded comments can potentially be dangerous to someone else. Anyway, when I first took it, I had mild side effects and I bounced back to being my joyous self in just a few months. Please give yourself time to let the drug do it’s job. Most people tend to get the long term side effects much later. So while it may be working in the first few months or years, certain ugly side effects MAY pop up later on. I had to stop cold turkey in 2014 because I switched jobs and my new job had lied about having an insurance plan. Let me just say that I almost felt like I died from the withdrawal. 

Fast forward to 2018 and I started taking it again this January due to a sexual assault incident at work which left me with insane social anxiety. Initially the first few months after some mild side effects I felt good again. But after the 4 month mark, I started to feel depressed but more noticeable were the physical side effects. I was binge eating like woah, sleeping non stop, EXTREME hot flashes (I’m only 30 so it can’t be menopause and my gyno cleared that one), fatigue, constipation, blurry vision, 12 pound weight gain!, tremors, nightmares, twitching facial muscles, Itchy skin, bloating,increased  blood pressure, feeling like a zombie 24/7, ZERO sex drive and I’m normally thinking about sex non stop lol etc etc. 

what I’m trying to ultimately say is, our bodies change and we are all DIFFERENT! To me, at this point this drug is truly evil! It has ruined my health this time around. I saw someone say in an earlier post that the people who are saying the negative things about this drug and it’s withdrawl symptoms must be “exaggerating”. How dare you! So that’s thousands of people you are discounting. We are all in this fight together to feel and get better. Please, if you are reading this in 2018, I’m only happy for you if this drugs works and if it isn’t get off it ASAP and try something else. Having a one track mind is not good when it comes to how these drugs react because again remember our body chemistry is unique from each other’s. People come here for support, don’t lead them the wrong way or put them down. Do your research and do what makes your mind, body and soul happy! 

Love you all! I just had to get that off my mind. I’m on day 5 of Effexor withdrawl and I think I’m over the worst of it. To me, this drug personally ruined my body the second time around and I wanted to share my experience. Stay open minded, do tons of research, eat healthy and think positive thoughts! We will all be okay 

peace & love 

Venlafaxine helped me for 10+years. It was a bad year 2017. Lost my brother to lung cancer. Only mom and I to help him. It was hard. Thought I was handling until 6.7 earthquake while I was in the shower and everything blew up!  Major depression. Dr tried adding diff meds but nuthin helped so he thought I peaked on the venlafaxine so should taper off and if need start something else. 

I have been tapering off from 300 mg.  think first 150 for a month then 75 for a month Then 37.5 for month then 37.5 every other day. Then was every third day but got bad so Dr added Prozac felt better but ended up Er with heart palpitations and anxiety was worse so he stopped the Prozac. Been to ER 2x for anxiety. He was my dr for 20 + years but because our hospital didn’t have a psychiatrist he closed his practice to run the inpatient behavioral health care. His patients can go to the new psychiatrist at outpatient clinic but I can’t get appt until nov 19. my primary care Dr. Is trying to get me into another psychiatrist that comes from another island 2x a month. In the meantime she suggested I go back to 75 mg which I started 3 days ago. Thinking I should have never started to taper off  

Has anyone gone off venlafaxine and gone back on, was it successful for you?  I am praying this gets better. 

4 hours ago, Marsha said:

Venlafaxine helped me for 10+years. 

Hi Marsha,

so sorry to hear how you are feeling. For me personally, Effexor did not work the second time around and I felt awful. I had horrible anxiety and insane suicide ideation on it. I actually quit it cold turkey because I was worried for myself and my psychiatrist wasn’t taking me serious. Quitting it cold turkey was also awful the second time around. Personally for me this drug is toxic and I never ever want to take it again. 

Hi all

I know this is a very old thread but I am so enjoying reading it. It's nice to know that there are so many people who have success with Venlafaxine/Effexor. 

I just startet venlafaxine 9 days ago. The first six days I was on 75 mg. and the last three days I have been on 150 mg. 

All you people who had success with this medication, when did it start to take affect? 

I'm so nervous that I am the one for whom it won't work. 

58 minutes ago, Yazz80 said:

Hi all

I know this is a very old thread but I am so enjoying reading it. It's nice to know that there are so many people who have success with Venlafaxine/Effexor. 

I just startet venlafaxine 9 days ago. The first six days I was on 75 mg. and the last three days I have been on 150 mg. 

All you people who had success with this medication, when did it start to take affect? 

I'm so nervous that I am the one for whom it won't work. 

The effect should be almost immediate but give it 2 full weeks for the medication to work. For me it took like 2 days to start feeling better and I was prescribed it for social anxiety and depression. 

Hi Yazz,

I came across your post as I am also trying to find something to help with my crippling anxiety after stopping Lexapro this past November. So far nothing is helping and my anxiety is horrific. Have you seen any results with Venlafexine/Effexor yet? I am also so fearful nothing will work for me again!

4 hours ago, stormyweather said:

Hi Yazz,

I came across your post as I am also trying to find something to help with my crippling anxiety after stopping Lexapro this past November. So far nothing is helping and my anxiety is horrific. Have you seen any results with Venlafexine/Effexor yet? I am also so fearful nothing will work for me again!

Yes it is working for me but it took such a long time to kick in and finally start working. How long have you been on Venlafaxine?

I'm not on it yet but I am considering asking my doctor for a prescription for it when I see him next week. I have had my awful anxiety disorder since I was 27 years old and am now 53. I have tried to go off meds a few times over the years and always relapse!  I've had success on several but then when I try to go back on, they either cause adverse effects or don't work again. It's scary because I feel like I've lost good medication by doing that! I just did a second trial of Zoloft which worked well years ago but now causes horrible agitation even after two weeks so I quit that. Tried Trintellix for a couple of weeks and couldn't handle that either. I am now trying to go back to Lexapro to see if I can get any response from it since it had worked for me for about 7 years. I only stopped it because I had a lack of motivation and thought a change would be good. Now I'll take back that lack of motivation if I can get rid of this awful anxiety! It has been 3 months of feeling awful and I'm having the "what if" thoughts that I won't get better this time! It's so scary going through these relapses. Anyway, I am so glad to hear the Effexor is helping you and it gives me hope that something eventually will. I know now NEVER to go off of a working med again! Btw, about how long on Effexor did you start to feel better and at what dose? Thanks!

I've been on Escitalopram for 11yrs. Last year they stopped working and I tried more natural remedies with no success. I'm back on Escitalopram now but I just feel really unmotivated, tired, low, anxious and I've lost interest in everything around me. 

I have a doctors appointment in 2 weeks and I'm going to give Venlafaxine a go. I'll let you know how I get on.

Hi all, I see this post is quite old but I’m looking for Effexor success stories. I won’t share too much till I know if anyone is reading this (my brain doesn’t have much energy) but I’ve just started on 37.5mg from changing from cymbalta which worked for 6 months then turned me into an emotionaless zombie and more depressed... coming off that was hell and the first day of Effexor I felt great- even on just 37.5mg and felt that way for 4 days. 

Now im feeling dizzy again (had this when started tapering cymbalta) intense dizziness- like I’m on a ship?vertigo... it’s been around 1.5 wks since switch from cymbalta to Effexor and trying to work out whether to up it or stay on 37.5 till I get a bit more used to it?? Headaches also an issue and slight nausea but depression a fair bit better already. Thanks in advance- really hope someone sees this. X 

On 10/25/2018 at 5:42 PM, MakeThePainGoAway said:

Hi Marsha,

so sorry to hear how you are feeling. For me personally, Effexor did not work the second time around and I felt awful. I had horrible anxiety and insane suicide ideation on it. I actually quit it cold turkey because I was worried for myself and my psychiatrist wasn’t taking me serious. Quitting it cold turkey was also awful the second time around. Personally for me this drug is toxic and I never ever want to take it again. 

Your psychiatrist wasn't taking you seriously anymore?  What the heck? 

On 4/11/2019 at 12:32 AM, Emylou said:

Hi all, I see this post is quite old but I’m looking for Effexor success stories. I won’t share too much till I know if anyone is reading this (my brain doesn’t have much energy) but I’ve just started on 37.5mg from changing from cymbalta which worked for 6 months then turned me into an emotionaless zombie and more depressed... coming off that was hell and the first day of Effexor I felt great- even on just 37.5mg and felt that way for 4 days. 

Now im feeling dizzy again (had this when started tapering cymbalta) intense dizziness- like I’m on a ship?vertigo... it’s been around 1.5 wks since switch from cymbalta to Effexor and trying to work out whether to up it or stay on 37.5 till I get a bit more used to it?? Headaches also an issue and slight nausea but depression a fair bit better already. Thanks in advance- really hope someone sees this. X 

I hope you and your Doctor found something else that would help.