Effexor Success Stories

Update:

It's been a year and a half since I posted in this thread.

I feel really good 99% of the time now. I still have my little moments where I get anxious or down, but they are so few and far between that I hardly even notice them.

I'm still on the 150mg per day. There is hope for everyone here. You can get your life back. I did.

I am on 300mg of effexor daily as well as 400mg cabamazapine,40 mg celexa and 200mg of seraquel and I have been on these drugs for 4 years and I still dont have my life back.

There are days of hope ,but more days of depression.

I am very glad and pleased that you have found your way, I wish that I could be that lucky

• 3 weeks later...

I started Venlafaxine last month and I immediately noticed a change. Instead of watching TV alone in my room I started watching TV with my cousin again. Things that seemed to hard or to complex to do (like the dishes) I started doing without any problem. My house has become cleaner, my hygiene has gotten better, and I am eating healthier than ever (three meals a day). Since starting Venlafaxine I feel like I have a new lease on life.

I started out at a 37.5mg dose 2x a day for a week then increased to a 75mg dose 2x a day.

Edited by ohioankev

• 2 weeks later...

I was on Effexor XR 75mg for three years and came off in July because I was feeling good. Dumb mistake. I am now back on it and on week 2 with it, now at 75mg, and I already feel SO muh better. I have had no side effects except sexual ones, but have worked around that :-) Effexor has been a good drug for me. Oh, I also wanted to mention that I have High Blood Pressure, and so far, my BP has not increased.

• 5 weeks later...

I was prescribed effexor by my pediatrician a couple of months ago after trying some sleep medications and zoloft with no success. I am really happy she decided to go ahead and prescribe it (apparently it has a black box warning) as it has really helped me. She also referred me to a great psychologist that I've made a lot of progress with, and I'm just really thankful for everything she's done for me.

Regarding the effexor, I've had a couple of side effects- weird dreams, fatigue. Nothing that I can't handle though. I will say to all that are taking effexor, do whatever you can to not miss a dose!!! It is so vital that you take it daily. I found out the hard way that it has awful withdraw symptoms- dizziness, feeling faint, sweating, headaches, anxiety. I have been assured that I will be very, very slowly taken off the drug to avoid these effects, though, when the time comes.

Effexor has really helped my depression and greatly reduced my social anxiety. It has not fixed the problem, but it is a great addition to therapy and allows me to be able to take the steps to help myself.

I was prescribed effexor by my pediatrician a couple of months ago after trying some sleep medications and zoloft with no success. I am really happy she decided to go ahead and prescribe it (apparently it has a black box warning) as it has really helped me. She also referred me to a great psychologist that I've made a lot of progress with, and I'm just really thankful for everything she's done for me.

Regarding the effexor, I've had a couple of side effects- weird dreams, fatigue. Nothing that I can't handle though. I will say to all that are taking effexor, do whatever you can to not miss a dose!!! It is so vital that you take it daily. I found out the hard way that it has awful withdraw symptoms- dizziness, feeling faint, sweating, headaches, anxiety. I have been assured that I will be very, very slowly taken off the drug to avoid these effects, though, when the time comes.

Effexor has really helped my depression and greatly reduced my social anxiety. It has not fixed the problem, but it is a great addition to therapy and allows me to be able to take the steps to help myself.

sunspots92,

Thank you for sharing your success with Effexor. It is so important to share our positive stories as we often read negative stories about ADs. Effexor has helped me alot when I started being sick. I would of not bee able to function at all without it. I was able to do my job, raise my kids.The important things. Yes I was more tired and I wasnt socializing like before but I would of not been able to even hold a job or take care of my children without it. I would of been in bed incapable to function.

As you say there is side effects but when you find the right med for yourself it has so much more positive in the balance. I think sometimes people expect miracles with ADs but they are there to help us cope.

I am very happy to see you are doing well and working toward getting better.

:shocked:

Joyce

• 3 weeks later...
I was on Effexor XR 75mg for three years and came off in July because I was feeling good. Dumb mistake. I am now back on it and on week 2 with it, now at 75mg, and I already feel SO muh better. I have had no side effects except sexual ones, but have worked around that :-) Effexor has been a good drug for me. Oh, I also wanted to mention that I have High Blood Pressure, and so far, my BP has not increased.

do you mind if i ask what sexual side effects?

• 5 months later...

Effexor has been very good for me but I keep getting used to the dose and it seems like I need more of it after a year or so. No particular complaint except for the fact that it is very expensive. I do not have insurance for prescriptions. Effexor is one of those meds not on the generic list so I have to pay $135 a month for it, which is a hardship when one is unemployed. My other meds cost $4 each.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I am asking the doc for this med, so many good reviews. Prozac, Wellbutrin, and one other didn't do much for me. Do i have to see a Psychiatrist for it or will a regular doc be able to dose me up and do increases if needed?

Thanks

Effexor has been very good for me but I keep getting used to the dose and it seems like I need more of it after a year or so. No particular complaint except for the fact that it is very expensive. I do not have insurance for prescriptions. Effexor is one of those meds not on the generic list so I have to pay $135 a month for it, which is a hardship when one is unemployed. My other meds cost $4 each.

Contact the manufacturer directly for the med if you can't pay. I get Advair that way. It's free if income is poor. Not sure about Effexor but you can try. Who makes it anyway?

Wow. I am asking the doc for this med, so many good reviews. Prozac, Wellbutrin, and one other didn't do much for me. Do i have to see a Psychiatrist for it or will a regular doc be able to dose me up and do increases if needed?

Thanks

You could start by talking to your regular doctor. Ask him to prescribe, refer you to a psych, or explain to you why it may not be a good one for you. Regular doctors are always a good place to start.

• 2 months later...

Effexor has helped me tremendously with anxiety and panic attacks to the point that I had no symptoms. It improved my confidence and concentration.

Some side affects I did not like were weight gain, feeling like I'm just here, no passion just meh. Being angry a lot of the time without any sense to not show it. Sleeping a lot during the day, tiredness and Insomnia at night.

If you want to be focused on your job, have a successful career with little to non anxiety then this is the drug for you. If you don't mind gaining a lil weight that is.

I started out on Cymbalta for a few months then stopped because it was too expensive. Did not seem to work that well anyway. My doctor then prescribed Effexor 75mg for 2 months, then up to 150mg for the past 6 - 8 months. Seemed to help at first but not by much. I am now starting to feel very moody again. Not sleeping well and no energy or ambition, tired all the time. Seem to lose track of things and can't come up with simple words in a conversation. So far managing to keep things together at work and have not had a lot of sick time, fortunately. Do have to struggle to get out of bed some mornings. I now do need more help, even considering calling our employee assistance program, which is a big step fpr me. So far have only seen my G.P. and have had no counselling. What can I do? Have had depression for years but it usually goes away after 3 - 4 months. This is the first time it has lasted this long (about 2 years now.)

By the way I am a 58 year old male in Canada, so do not get a lot of sunshine this time of year.

I do not really want to increase the dose as I would like to get off it in the New Year, although sounds like that may be hard to do.

Edited by bobcat7

I've been taking Effexor for 1 year now at 375mg/day. SSRI's didn't work for me so I requested an SNRI and it worked! It got me from depressed to neutral. A little therapy and time took me from neutral to joyful. Only side effects were extremely dry mouth (even while drinking water!) and muscle twitches; both disappeared fairly quickly. I did notice that I no longer remember my dreams whereas I used to have pretty frequent dreams and nightmares. I also take Lamictal for mood swings and epilepsy.

• 1 month later...

Effexor XR is the antidepressant that is perfect for MY mind and body.

I have suffered from depression since my late teens (1996) and have tried numerous drugs throughout the years(Welbutrin, Prozac, Lexapro, Paxil, etc). All of them would kinda work for a little while, but would peter out. My psychiatrist was wonderful because we experimented until we found the right drug FOR ME. I was lucky because I educated myself on depression which included not only learning about how the brain works, but also reading up on the different drugs and alternative approaches to combating depression. I also understood that I could not give up and keep searching for the right drug.

I have tried to take myself off Effexor (not because it didn't work or because of side effects, just because I didn't like the idea of taking drugs) but I am unable to. Effexor XR works so well that when I taper myself off, people say that I am different. My speech is morose, I am disatisfied with everything, I want to dump my boyfriend, quit my job, move out of the United States, etc). The crazy thing is that Effexor makes me feel so good and normal that it tricks me into thinking that I don't need it, but I do. I am thankful that people are open to telling me that I am different without it (this proves to me that I need it and that it is working). And the funny thing is that on the few occassions that I tried to taper off, I didn't tell anyone and they still noticed!!!! Hence, I will never take myself off of it again. I have come to the conclusion that it will be my forever companion.

I am very outspoken about depression because it is something that one need not be ashamed of. I am thankful for the people whom have been open about any changes that they see in me because this only adds to my therapy.

Effexor XR has made me normal, something that I have been chasing for years.

My advice to people is to not give up, find a doctor that cares about finding the right drug for you and to not stop taking the drug if it works (and even if it doesn't, follow your doctors instructions on how to taper off and try a different drug)

Also, don't scourge the internet looking for advice and commentaries about Effexor. Many people hate the drug and slam it but there are things to take into account when reading these horror stories. Some of these naysayers may simply be on the wrong drug for their mind, they may not be taking it correctly (such as: quitting cold turkey, not taking it at the same time everyday, drinking alcohol with it (a big No-no). I think that Effexor is a powerful drug that should be tried when all else fails. It definitely works if it matches your body chemistry and mind. For me, Effexor XR is the key that fits into my neurotransmitters lock.

• 5 months later...

:Coopclapping:

Started on Effexor about 1 month ago - 37.5 for 2 weeks then 75 for 2 weeks now at 150. Fairly quickly I saw minor improvements.

Now 1 month later and I am starting to feel like my old self - I'm not anxious much anymore and my body is starting to allow me to do more.

Side effects have been moderate. Nausea, difficulty orgasming, (but libido has been fine), reduced appetite (maybe because of the nausea) but has returned now. The nasea has passed but not the ability to orgasm. We have just adjusted our sex life to accomadate this problem.

:sleep_1: sleep has been off a bit waking at 2 am ish and again at 5 am ish. most times going back to sleep fairly easily.

:console: My girlgfriend and family have been very supportive during this time...what a blessing this has been! :icon12:

:joker: I'm getting closer to being my ol jovial self!

:gathering: Councelling should begin today too....looking forward to outing my demons.

:bow: Thank you Effexor!

• 1 month later...

:Coopclapping:

Started on Effexor about 1 month ago - 37.5 for 2 weeks then 75 for 2 weeks now at 150. Fairly quickly I saw minor improvements.

Now 1 month later and I am starting to feel like my old self - I'm not anxious much anymore and my body is starting to allow me to do more.

Side effects have been moderate. Nausea, difficulty orgasming, (but libido has been fine), reduced appetite (maybe because of the nausea) but has returned now. The nasea has passed but not the ability to orgasm. We have just adjusted our sex life to accomadate this problem.

:sleep_1: sleep has been off a bit waking at 2 am ish and again at 5 am ish. most times going back to sleep fairly easily.

:console: My girlgfriend and family have been very supportive during this time...what a blessing this has been! :icon12:

:joker: I'm getting closer to being my ol jovial self!

:gathering: Councelling should begin today too....looking forward to outing my demons.

:bow: Thank you Effexor!

Good for you. I to am on Effexor 225mgs. but I am still waiting to be back to normal. It has been two months and I still require clonazepam for the anxiety. I was on zoloft for 10 years and just loved life and was excited to get up in the morning. I have no energy and just want to sleep all the time. How long did it take for you to be as you said your jovial self. I was always up and people used to say they always felt better after talking to me - I want to feel that again. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I was on mirtazapine for 4 weeks and found it did not help with depression at all. I also suffered terrible sleepiness and weight gain (just under a stone)! I have no been switched to venlafaxine and am hoping it changes and helps. Did anyone have any weight problems taking this one?

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Thought I would post here for the record...

I was VERY close to giving up on meds and diagnosing myself as a lost cause. I had been fighting depression for so long without medication, I worried that I had waited too long and that it was too late to do anything about it.

I am now on Effexor... Have been for over a month... And I feel better than I have in YEARS. The foggy - draggy - feeling has FINALLY lifted. Smiling, laughing, thinking logically and not blowing everything out of proportion on a consistent basis. Sex, patience, motivation all seem stronger. I still have my bad days, but they are the anomaly, now.

Side effects... Head aches are nearly gone, but I still have a pounder every now and then.

All I can say is THANK, GOD! And I hope it lasts!

(I was previously on Wellbutrin and Lexapro. It seemed to take the edge off... But little else.)

Am glad there are recent posted re: Effexor..I have reached a point where there is no doubt I need some sort of medication. The over the counter, natural things, for me, failed. Other medications in the past have failed for one reason or another and with Effexor in an extended release form I think maybe it would be the one to try. It has been years since I've taken prescription medications..all I read are negatives about medication but when you reach the point I'm at, that many of you have been at, then it becomes a matter of survival. Does it help with anxiety as well? What about significant weight gain?

I've been on Effexor for most of the last 10 years. I used to come off over the summer, and when the anxiety came back in the autumn the Effexor was the only thing guaranteed to sort it. It really works. Recently I have had to increase my dose to 150mg from 75mg, I don't know if this is me getting worse or developing tolerance as the sexual side-effects are less severe too. But I know that without it I'd be really messy. Side effects - the most significant for me is sexual dysfunction which is noticeable at 75mg and more so at 150mg but as I say seems to be decreasing now. Everything still works tho. Other thing is mouth ulcers. Also my appetite for food is slightly reduced and it's difficult to know when I am hungry. But these pale into insignificance compared to the benefits. I also sleep much better on Effexor - I go straight out!

Edited by REG

Hello, I would like to say that my Effexor XR success story is a bit different. I was diagnosed with depression & started taking Effexor XR. Next were sessions with my psychologist, & it was discovered (& tested) that I actually had the sleep disorder Narcolepsy. I have a rare component to my Narcolepsy which is called Cataplexy & strangely enough, Effexor XR controls Cataplexy (physically disabling). Recently tried the generic Venlafaxine xr & experienced the return of my Cataplexy symptoms, but worse were the relentless headaches that wouldn't subside with OTC headache medicines. The extended release portion also was not as effective. So, back on the brand I went & back to 'normal' I became. Without Effexor I probably would have to be home bound & Cataplexy increases in severity as I age. So thankful for meds like Effexor!

Also, I have not had weight gain with this medication & very little, if any, sexual side effects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi my names analicia and I'm 17 years old I've been suffering from anxiety since I was very little but I've always been able to control it. As I started getting older and obstacles started getting tougher it got out of my control. Im not sure if any of you have expierenced the "lump in your throat" feeling due to anxiety it causes me to have a gagging sensation all day long And gets worse after I eat... I guess I've been mistakin this feeling for nausea because it makes me feel as if I need to vomit all the time so my doctors diagnosed me with ibs, and acid reflux but said for the most part I'm healthy until one day I realised my stomach wasn't hurting but I still felt sick so I started to think Mabey this has something to do with my throat? So I looked it up and began to see a lot of people saying they get like this because of there anxiety and there throat muscles tensing up causing them to have a gagging sensation. My doctor perscribed me effexor I have to pick it up tomorrow I was wondering if this is gonna help with the gagging feeling and let me have a normal life cause I'm miserable and if I don't get it under control now ill have to miss prom and graduation :/ please if anybody can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated -Analicia