June322

Quitting work then going back two days later ??

I’m extremely Anxious and worried about going back to work tomorrow 😩. My sibling and I started working together around the start of the pandemic and it has been a rocky road.

On Sunday we had worked a full shift when we got into an argument and my brother got angry and enraged then had a panic attack. (All after work in the car ) when we got home he texted our supervisor that he Quits the company.

Thus leaves me to quit as well since the job is over an hour drive and he was my ride. I didn’t know what to do and I didn’t have the phone number of the supervisor he texted. I only had the one of a different one and our parent suggested I texted the other supervisor informing how my sibling had quit and that I’m sorry but that I had to quit as well since I had no means of transportation 😞.

He was shocked as he was unaware that my sibling had quit. He said he understood and would pass on the message to the rest of the supervisor and our Manager. 
Apparently the supervisor my sibling talked to never let anyone know my sibling quit because they wanted to give my sibling the chance to rethink his decision.

I didn’t know that was the case as my brother was not talking to me and he just said he texted his supervisor that he quit l. Now after my sibling calmed down and talked to HR we are going back to work after two days of “quitting “ and I just feel so embarrassed and unwelcomed there now 😞 

I just feel like I lost all respect of the manger and supervisor that I worked so hard to get . They said it was really wrong for us to say we quit with no explanation:( and their right. But it’s not like we can say hey it’s our mental issues that flare up and made my sibling made a hasty decision. agh idk how to act or what to tell my supervisor and manager to make things ok and not look so bad  😞

I already have so many coworkers there bothering us and We don’t need the higher ups against us too 😞 they were the only ones we had 

Edited by June322

Hi,

It sounds like your managers actually might be pretty nice and you have some bad coworkers.

I think your managers understand, sometimes people need to take a mental health day if they are overworked or exhausted. You and your brother might need to find ways to blow off steam after work like maybe going to the gym, getting a drink if you have someone to drive you or meditating.

If you feel very self conscious about returning try to think of it from the perspective of others. Imagine you had a coworker who quit for a day and came back, it probably would not be too big of a deal especially because they are maybe focused on their own work as well.

When you return if managers ask whats wrong, explain which coworkers are causing problems and just do your best going forward.

@Evergreenforst4 Thank you !! 🥺 this was a much needed reassuring reply! 

the supervisor my sibling texted she really is really kind and understanding with us from the start. We are good workers so she likes our work. But I’m just scared of what the other supervisor and the main Boss our Manager is thinking 😞 I feel like the manager was and is probably the most offended by it because it is bad to just say I quit.
Especially since the company is so busy right now and my sibling position is an important one that lacked staff.
I regret sending that text message to the other guy supervisor informing we had to quit since the girl supervisor my sibling texted was keeping it to herself for the time being to see if my sibling changed his mind then all of a sudden the guy supervisor I texted informed everyone that we quit. It just seems so dramatic and like a mess 😞 this happened Sunday/Monday and we haven’t been there for two days. 

but yeah you’re right. We really need a healthy way to blow off steam and not make work worse for each other then it already is. My sibling is still thinking he might quit after a month. 

You are welcome! 🙂

The manager being offended by this is a fair criticism because typically employees will put in two weeks and it might add stress to the manager who is responsible for overseeing things.

I think just keep your chin up and do your best going forward, if the manager talks to you just look them in the eye and tell them the truth and just be upfront. I don't think it is the worst thing and I

definitely think it is a forgivable thing moving forward.

I like to think of it as like character building 😄 it might make you feel uncomfortable when you return but just do your best and you will come out of it stronger. If you guys want to quit in like a month i'd just do the two week notice and try to have another job lined up.

For anxiety, I think listening to ASMR on headphones and walking for an hour or so works really well, its like a sound therapy. I would try to be creative and find what works best for you to de-stress after work.

Also I think getting enough sleep is really important also. I used to be in the military which had very stressful moments and taking the time to do basic things like eating and sleeping are essential to not forget even after traumatic events occurred.

I hope the best for you 🙂

If it was me I would just show up to work and act like it never happened and hope I never had to talk about it again.  I know it sounds like a wimp but it's what I would do.  I can't imagine just texting someone that I quit.  I did leave a message on someone's phone that I quit before.

On 12/1/2020 at 9:54 PM, June322 said:

I already have so many coworkers there bothering us and We don’t need the higher ups against us too 😞 they were the only ones we had 

Hi June,

Sounds like you did what anyone would or should.  Wasn't your fault, you called and told them what it was. 

And, the bosses are aware that losing your brother means losing two people--so maybe the situation will improve for you both . . .  probably how unions like Teamsters are born. 🤠

Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov

On 12/3/2020 at 6:18 PM, Bulgakov said:

Hi June,

Sounds like you did what anyone would or should.  Wasn't your fault, you called and told them what it was. 

And, the bosses are aware that losing your brother means losing two people--so maybe the situation will improve for you both . . .  probably how unions like Teamsters are born. 🤠

Bulgakov

You put it perfectly @Bulgakov! Thank you 🙏 

On 12/2/2020 at 8:54 AM, sober4life said:

If it was me I would just show up to work and act like it never happened and hope I never had to talk about it again.  I know it sounds like a wimp but it's what I would do.  I can't imagine just texting someone that I quit.  I did leave a message on someone's phone that I quit before.

Wow did you go back after that ? What did they say ? Yeah I feel like that’s pretty much what I did lol it worked for the most part 

It’s honestly just depressing to think how much of our lives is dedicated to working. Most of our weeks/days are spent at work. Then that’s it we die. It doesn’t seem normal that that’s the system we live in. When the majority of our life is spent at work the environment truly matters. 

6 hours ago, June322 said:

Wow did you go back after that ? What did they say ? Yeah I feel like that’s pretty much what I did lol it worked for the most part 

Me with working always goes the same way I get to a point where I'm in such bad shape I can't continue.  At that time I had to quit but felt I was in too bad of shape to even have a face to face conversation with the man.

6 hours ago, June322 said:

It’s honestly just depressing to think how much of our lives is dedicated to working. Most of our weeks/days are spent at work. Then that’s it we die. It doesn’t seem normal that that’s the system we live in. When the majority of our life is spent at work the environment truly matters. 

In my family 90 or 95% don't work and that really pisses me off because I've worked since I was 15 and I'm still working. I have to work because my life depends on it. But wouldn't it be nice not to worry about the rent or lights or getting up to work when you'd rather hide away. That's okay i will be free soon thanks to all the work and standing all day.